Undisclosed Emotions

One

My fingers trembled as I slowly grasped my cell phone, waiting for it to buzz and sound my rather obnoxious ringtone. I quickly glanced back over at my computer screen to make sure the email I’d received was correct.

Students,
I’m sorry I wasn’t able to meet for our first class. There are currently quite a few conflicts in my schedule. Regardless, I will be giving each of you a call to ensure you understand your piece of our first project.
Thanks,
J. Franco


An eruption of knots twisted within my stomach, he was going to call me. Taking in a deep breath, I dropped my phone back on to my desk and leapt off the couch. I found myself pacing throughout my room, trying to give myself a mental pep talk. This was such a big opportunity; I couldn’t let myself get distracted by some actor, even if he was my professor. Tearing the hair band from my blonde locks, I let my hair uncoil from its messy bun. Pulling my fingers through my now disheveled hair, I approached my dorm window, peering out at the rain soaked city. Thunder loudly rumbled the night, sending bursts of lightning flashes across the sky. My eyes focused on every twinkling light lining the skylines, I still wasn’t used to this city. It just wasn’t home.

Before I could dwell on my tinge of homesickness any further my phone began to rattle my desk with its loud vibrating, the screen flashing with a call waiting to be answered. It was him, my professor who also happened to be a handsome, charming, talented, actor. I couldn’t help but be nervous and extremely intimidated as I cautiously approached my desk. My eyes stared at my buzzing phone for a few seconds, debating on whether or not I was really prepared to speak to him. I found myself involuntarily reaching out and hitting the answer button, my heart dropping to my toes.

“Hello?” I stammered out, chewing on my lip and staring at the beige tile lining the floors of my dorm room.

“Hi there,” He greeted in a warm, almost enchanting voice that sent shivers throughout my body. “It’s James, I hope you got my email and I haven’t interrupted anything.”

“No, no,” I stuttered out, taking the same pacing route throughout my semi-cluttered dorm.
“I’m just nervous to be quite frank, sir.” A nervous laugh slipped my lips as I mentally cursed myself for telling him the truth.

He chuckled, I could just picture that dashing smile I’d seen in all his pictures, “You don’t have to call me sir, just call me James. Sir makes me feel so old.”

“Well…” I trailed off, trying to lighten the mood. Another chuckled sounded from the other line, bringing a comforting smile to my lips.

“You’re probably right; I’ll be thirty-four in a few days, actually.” He confessed causing a small giggle to burst through.

“Well since we only meet once a week, happy early birthday.” I told him, looking out the window once again as I awaited his response.

“Thank you,” He responded while he audibly sifting through papers, clearing his throat he began again, “Now, I’m going to ask you a few questions about yourself so I can determine where you’ll fit in in our first project.”

I nodded to myself and patiently waited for the questions to begin. He was probably going to ask me some generic, run of the mill questions about my Bachelor’s degree or my GPA. Part of me feared those types of questions. If he were to look over my graduate application and resume he’d see that I have no life, my life is books. I’m what they like to call a loser.

He was still flipping through pages on the other line, mumbling something incoherently to himself. Finally with a muttered, “aha” he returned his attention to me and spoke.

“Let’s see, Gemma Renee Mclaurie,” He began, reading out my full name smugly, “It says here that you attended a private college in London, which would explain your accent.”

“Yes, sir-er-James” I stammered out, fidgeting nervously with the pink glitter nail polish on my nails.

“You’ll be a real man killer with that accent.” He commented, I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“And why do you say that?” I questioned, feeling myself ease up a bit. He was funny and charming, slowly becoming less and less scary.

“It’s just very sexy.” He replied casually, that last word sending electricity shooting throughout my body.

“Do you tell all your grad students that?” I retorted, curling my lips into a devilish smirk though I knew he couldn’t see me.

“None of them sound as attractive.” He responded smoothly. Nibbling on my lip, I pulled my legs up to my chest and contemplated my next reply.

“For all you know I could be rather daft in person.” I said with a soft giggle.

“I’ll have to find out for myself, I’ll see you in class next week, Ms. Mclaurie.” He purred. My face flushed a bright red, warming my cheeks.

I couldn’t imagine what class was going to be like next week or rather my professor…