‹ Prequel: A Good Run
Status: 2 of 7 volumes. Active.

The White Doe

Eleven

July, 1588.

It had taken many months and trips from Roanoke to Croatoan, but the task was almost complete. All the housing had already been broken down and transported by canoe and pinnace. The last of the supplies were going over the next day or two and then the colonists would move. Two more nights in this place and then it would be a new beginning.

Eleanor hummed to herself as she finished packing her father's prized possessions. They would be buried, kept safe from the ravages of nature and beasts and when he returned, he would be overjoyed to see how well the colonists had taken care of his things.

She turned to packing a few more items her own family would be taking to Roanoke. Little enough--blankets, a few precious books, tools. Virginia's cradle. Eleanor paused for a moment to regard her sleeping child with love.

Ananias bent to pick up the chest containing the governor's personal items.

"Find another to help you." Eleanor warned. "Armor isn't light."

"You shouldn't be packing that. We could use it." He replied.

"Our real enemies don't care about physical armor." She reminded him, lowering her voice.

The Night Walkers had done their share, more than the fearsome Roanoacs, to diminish the ranks of the colonists. Several hunting parties had failed to return and when their bodies were eventually found, according to Ananias they had had their skulls literally pulverized and sported two marks on their throats.

Yet she and Ananias had refrained from informing the other and soon, the threat would be gone.

She shivered, though the night air was balmy.

Yes, it would be good to be safely with their friends the Croatoans. Manteo had said there were no Walkers on Croatoan Island.

"Lest I forget in the excitement of leaving, I'm going to go leave the message John told us to." Said Ananias.

Eleanor looked up at him. "Can it not wait until morning? The Walkers..."

"We've never seen a trace of them this close to the camp. I'll be careful." He kissed her quickly and then stepped into the night.

The two men whose job it was to guard the gate bolted the door behind his back.

Eleanor stood and stared at the dooq, whispering a prayer for her husband's safety.