‹ Prequel: A Good Run
Status: 2 of 7 volumes. Active.

The White Doe

Twelve

Before he left, White had taken Ananias aside and told him, "If you must leave, for whatever reason, carve the name of your destination in a conspicuous place. Then I shall know how to find you. If there is a danger, carve a cross beside the name."

Ananias glanced about, but the night was still. He turned his attention to carefully carving the word CROATOAN in one of the fort's stout posts. He nodded to himself, pleased that there was no need to carve the cross.

It was a good departure. On an impulse, he decided to also place the word on a tree near where it was likely White would come ashore, just to be certain.

Briskly he strode to the shore, found the tree and began to carve.

.

Whem dawn came, Eleanor reached for her husband. He was not there.

She bolted upright and hastened toward the men who had stood watch all night. "Has Ananias come and gone, then?"

Roger Bailie exchanged glances with Chris Cooper. "Nay, Mistress Dare. He has not returned. Perchance he got lost in the dark and will return soon."

She felt the blood drain from her face, but forced a smile.

These men did not know of the Walkers.

But she did. She knew she was a widow and yet she could not shed a single tear.

She kept up the facade through the day and into the evening.

When a search party failed to find Dare, others grew concerned as well, but it was decided that they would leave as scheduled.

"We'll leave him a canoe." Said Bailie with exaggerated heartiness. "He'll join us soon, I'm certain."

"Yes," Managed Eleanor, raw with grief and with a false smile on her face. "You are probably right."