‹ Prequel: A Good Run
Status: 2 of 7 volumes. Active.

The White Doe

Sixteen

They gave Virginia Dare the name White Doe and she grew up as one of of the other Croatoan children. Takes From Eagle doted on her but strove to show no favoritism. Even those who disliked the white man, among then Wanchese--He Who Flies Out, who had traveled to England with Takes From Eagle, had no dislike of this innocent little girl.

Takes From Eagle decided that it would be best if the girl did not know her horrific origins. She would be a gift from the mantoac to the tribe, nothing less.

But destiny would not permit White Doe to grow up as just another Croatoan, albeit a pale-complexioned, yellow-haired one. No child in the tribe was more agile in climbing trees or catching fish with the spear than White Doe. No child could run as fast or as far and no child survived the bumps and scapes of play with as little injury as the English child.

At first, Takes From Eagle attributed it to her race. Perhaps the white man was hardier than the Croatoan. But when White Doe was six and a broken bone healed within days, everyone took notice. This was more than good heritage. This smacked of spirit intervention.

The werowances met one night after the children had gone to bed. They talked about White Doe in soft voices until finally Takes From Eagle had to speak the truth that was in his heart.

"She is no demon." He said, sorrow tingeing his voice. He had not realized until now how much he had wanted his adopted daughter to just be herself, not something as magical as...

"Before he left, John White told me of a heroic Walker-killer who is born to each generation. She has miraculous healing power, sharp senses and strength beyond even the most powerful warrior. Her destiny is to stand against evil, be it demons or Walkers. It is always a girl and the name White gave me to call her, should she be born into our tribe, is the Slayer."

He studied their surprised reactions, but no one doubted him. Takes From Eagle did not lie. "White Doe was not born into our tribe, but she has been Croatoan since she was but a few months old. I could not love her more if she were my own flesh. I believe that she is this Slayer of whom White told me and it is imperative that we protect and train her, that she will later protect us."

"I think Takes From Eagle is correct," Said Ceremonial Fox. "We should begin training White Doe immediately, lest these powers get out of hand."

"A few more years," Pleaded Manteo. "Let her be a child a little while longer."