‹ Prequel: A Good Run
Status: 2 of 7 volumes. Active.

The White Doe

Three

The seeming statue moved to life. John Dee sat straighter in his chair. When he spoke, his long beard trembled. "My Show Stone has told me that very soon, the Slayer for whom we wait shall be born. Her birthplace is the New World. It is entirely possible that she could be savage, such as our Croatoan Indian friends, Manteo, Wanchese and Towaye."

John White frowned slightly. He knew the three well. It was he who had suggested that they accompany him from the ill-fated colony at Roanoke Island, in the New World, to meet the queen and who were presently staying at Durham House. He disliked the term "savage"; while they were, of course, not civilized in the same manner as the English were, they were gentle, strong, intelligent, representatives of their people.

"Or," Dee continued, looking at the men who stood crowded around him. "It could be a European child, born on American soil."

Sir Francis Drake grimiced. "Bloody Spaniards," He muttered. "We're about to go to war with them and it sounds like we'll have to start sniffing about for the Slayer in their colonies. A fine situation."

"Could be the French." Someone else put in.

"Even worse."

"Or," Said Raleigh, his voice ringing. "It could be an English child."

"We've no colonies, Walter." Said Drake. "No offense, my friend, but your last attempt at Roanoke was disastrous. Your cousin Grenville did a fine job of alienating the savages and Lane practically wept like a girl in order to accompany us home."

"Our first attempts failed because we stranded soldiers and expected them to be diplomats and farmers." Said Raleigh. "And Roanoke was a poor place, I know that now. But I've been able to procure backing for another attempt. This time, I want families. Women are a civilizing influence and men are less likely to grow bored and quarrel with the natives if their wives and children are at risk. And," He added, arching a black eyebrow. "We will not settle at Roanoke. We will create the City of Raleigh on the mainland, at Chesapeake. This way, if Dee is right--"

"I am." Said Dee, his voice revealing offense.

"--then we English have at least a chance of having this Slayer born to a godly Protestant Englishwoman. John," Raleihh continued, turning to White. "You've been to the New World before. It'll be a different site, but you have at least some experience. And we'll need a Watcher, just in case a girl-child born there does turn out to be the Chosen One. We'll miss your fine drawings, but you'll be of more use to the Council and the Slayer there than here."

White didn't know how to respond. He was chagrined at the thought of leaving England again for so long, possibly for the rest of his life. He had enjoyed sketching the Indians and flora and fauna of Virginia, but he had looked forward to returning to the Council, to helping fight demons and recording their images to aid future Watchers of the coming Slayer--

"You honor me, Sir Walter. My own family shall be among those who settle. When do we depart?"