‹ Prequel: A Good Run
Status: 2 of 7 volumes. Active.

The White Doe

Seven

I sent a small group to Croatoan Sound, where Manteo's people told Edward Stafford that Howe had been slain by the hostile Roanoacs. I desired strongly to establish friendly relations with various other tribes on the mainland as well as the Croatoan and if possible, even with the Roanoac. To that end, the Croatoans agreed to pass along an invitation to the Roanoac werowances to speak with me within seven days. When that time had elapsed and none of the chiefs showed, I yielded to pressure from the hawks in our midst to exact revenge against the Roanoacs.

White paused, the candle beside him flickering. He didn't want to write this down, but he had to. Sighing, he continued.

We made a terrible error. When we reached the Roanoac village of Dasemunkepeuc, creeping in the night, we surprised several Indians--but they were innocent Croatoans, come to gather what supplies the Roanoacs had left behind when they fled. We thus inadvertently killed our allies, including a woman with a child.

At least Manteo had understood it was the most unfortunate of accidents. It was hard for English eyes to distinguish among the tribes and at night, in the heart of the Roanoacs camp--what else was one to expect but Roanoacs?

Thank God Manteo and the Croatoans were still friends. Manteo had even been baptized in the Christian faith just four days ago. He'd been dubbed the Lord of Roanoke.

"Father," Came Eleanor's soft voice.

"Not now, my dear, I'll lose my thoughts." He replied.

"Father!" The word was now a shout and as he turned, he saw her sink slowly down to the earth, leaning against the doorframe and clutching her belly.