Tree Hill: One Last Time

chapter one

It's a sunny morning outside, the birds are singing and dew is layered thinly on the fresh cut lawn. The sunlight sparkles in the water of the pool, reflections dancing off the surface. But every beauty has to end, and the sudden and abrupt snoring coming from Jamie's room next store shatters the scenery. Don't get her wrong, Lydia is glad her big bro is home from college for the weekend, but she'll never miss his snores when he's away. Heaving a sigh, she snatches up her clothes and heads for the shower.

When she's eating her breakfast - bacon and orange juice, her favorite - Lydia's cousin Sawyer comes shuffling out of one of the guest bedrooms. Her parents had moved out of Tree Hill when she was just a baby, but as soon as she was old enough they gave her a decision. They told her about Tree Hill, all the goods and the bads, and they let her decide whether she go to high school there or stay with them. Sawyer had chosen Tree Hill, wanting to get to know not only the town, but her cousins and parent's childhood friends.

Not shortly after Sawyer sits down and grunts out a "Good morning," Jamie comes bounding down the stairs. He's awfully cheery for having been snoring an hour ago, and Lydia quirks a brow at him.

"Morning, Jamie." Sawyer says, and there's a look of slight admiration in her eyes.

Lydia suppresses a scowl, because it's not Sawyer's fault. All she's heard about is Jamie bypassing death, surviving being kidnapped. How their father, Sawyers uncle, was kidnapped and for awhile there was no hope. What Sawyer hasn't heard is how big a pain in the ass he can be, how he talks about himself and all his sports 24/7. Considering how different he acts whenever she's around, she'll never know. She'll always know him as the psychologically wounded older cousin who is made to be admired.

"Morning, girls. You working at the cafe today, Lydia?" Jamie inquires, propping his hip against the counter with a cup of coffee held tightly in his hands.

"That's the plan, Stan. See you guys later."

"Leaving already? It's only 11, you normally don't start til noon."

"Glad you pay so much attention to my whereabouts," Lydia says, annoyance tinting her voice. "I have to pick up Jude, we're working together today."

"Good luck with that." Sawyer snorts, storming off to her room somewhere in the back of the house.

She can't blame her cousin for being a bitch. After all, shortly after her arrival Jude swooped in, stole her heart, then promptly broke it. But boys will be boys and she can't blame him for it. After all, it was a little creepy. Sawyer dating a boy a year younger than her. To each their own, but she could never do it. It doesn't sit with her romanticized fantasy. Before she can get lost in her thoughts she hurries out the door, slamming it shut behind her, leaving her girly, frilly thoughts behind with Jamie.