Through the Darkness

Chapter 1

Author's Note: Between New Moon and Eclipse... Yes, I know I'm messing with the timeline.

Getting out of the truck I pulled my jacket close as the cold blew in from the west. Closing the truck door I headed inside the hospital passing the front desk heading strait to the elevators. Pushing the up button I was glad to see no one in there as I got in and pressing the third floor and the door close button I watched the doors close. Walking to the back of the elevator I waited for the doors to open again I wondered if Carlisle was going to lecture me too. It seem to take forever I thought the stairs would have been faster. As the doors finally opened I wasn't surprised to see Carlisle waiting on me.

"Morning," I mumbled shyly.

"This way. I've got a special case I could use your help on," Carlisle smiled leading me down the hall.

"Me and blood," I started to say feeling a little sick just thinking about it.

"No, blood," Carlisle promised as he stopped in front of double doors.

"NICU," I barely got it know what was behind these doors.

"A woman gave birth about a week ago. She left the baby as soon after being discharged," Carlisle frowned as he spoke with clear disappointment.

"The baby," I questioned unable to wrap my head around someone leaving their baby in a life and death fight.

"She is hanging on amazingly. Barley one pound and fighting an uphill battle all the way. I'd like to try Kanagroo Care where we put the baby on someone's bare chest. It helps with heart rate, lung function, weight gain, and so much more. There is something about that connection through touch," Carlisle explained punching in a code and leading me into the NICU.

"Do you really think I could make a real difference," I asked as he stopped in front of an isolette.

"You'll make all the difference for this little girl," Carlisle reassured me with a warm smile.

"What do I do," I looked to Carlisle for instruction.

"Go with Nurse Taylor, and she help you," Carlisle motioned to to the nurse I hadn't noticed.

Following the Nurse to a bathroom she had me take off my shirt and replace it with a hospital gown that opened in the front.

"You'll be fine. Dr. Cullen wouldn't set this up if didn't think it would go well," Nurse Taylor whispered as she pulled out a hairband pulling my hair into a bun.

"Thanks," I whispered as she led me to out to large metal sinks, and she scrubbed my hands with soap and hot water.

Heading back to the isolette Nurse Taylor had me sit down in the rocking chair, and opened the gown just enough to place the baby. Eying Carlisle I watched as he picked up this tiny little baby placing her against my chest. Gently he took my hand placing to support the baby the right way.

Feeling her against me there was this connection that I felt linked me to this little person. Looking up I was glad to see Carlisle knelt next to me not leaving me alone with some nurse. Relaxing I noticed I could feel her every breath which surprised me because I hadn't expected. Seeing her so small and helpless I hadn't expected how fragile she actually was.

"You're both doing so good. The monitors look so good it is hopeful," Carlisle cooed trying to calm me.

"What's her name," I asked peering down at the baby.

"She doesn't have on yet," Carlisle replied simply.

"She needs a strong name," I stated more than questioned.

"What are you thinking," Carlisle inquired looking to me.

"Mercy Elizabeth," I said in a matter of fact tone.

"Interesting," Carlisle nodded thoughtfully.

"Mercy because it one word that describes you, and if she has one tenth of your strength everything will be okay. I know it might be silly, but Elizabeth after Edward's mom. From what you told me she was one tough lady," I answered the question that went unsaid.

"I know you'll never believe it, but you are so much stronger than you see," Carlisle smiled warmly.

"He's afraid to take this away from me. I know he talks to you about it. Until him I never even considered it, but I don't want any of it without him. Easily I could fall for this little girl; yet I couldn't do it without him. I'd adopt with him, and love them wholeheartedly as my own," I whispered as I looked up at Carlisle.

"He just wants you to have everything even if he can't give it to you," Carlisle replied softly has he put his hand on my knee.

"He gives me everything by just being," I blushing as my heart skips a beat with that simple truth.

Leaning my head back against the rest I closed my eyes relaxing. Then I feel it the electricity in the air I know he is in the room.

"Hi," came his voice making me open my eyes to see Edward had taken Carlisle's place.

"Snooping," I accused teasingly.

"Maybe a little. I wanted to see if it worked out, but I should know better than to bet against Alice," Edward admitted as he leaned over me kissing my forehead gentle.

"I've missed you," I said letting go of a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"We'll figure something out soon. Plus I'll come sit with you here as much as I can," Edward promised as he pulled a chair near me.

"I need to do some shopping with Alice. Yes, I know what I'm asking. As much as I don't want to I need warmer clothes, and I need to get my Christmas shopping done," I cringed as I spoke the words.

"Okay, I'll tell her," Edward shook his head a little.

Walking out of the hospital with Carlisle at my side I was glad to spend time with him today. I hoped that maybe we would get more chances to hang out together even if it was at the hospital of all places. Getting to my truck I turned to face Carlisle who stood there waiting on me, and knew he would wait there for me to say whatever I had to say unlike my loveable Renee.

"Thanks for letting me help. When do I come back," I asked wanting to see the baby again.

"We'll wait a few days and try again. You did really good," Carlisle smiled warmly.

"Can I come to see her," I continued my questioning.

"I'll add you to the list. Mercy could use all the allies she can get," Carlisle nodded as he opened the truck door for me.

"See you soon," I whispered getting in and Carlisle shut the door.

Waving goodbye I started the truck and pulled out of the parking spot. Getting out on the road I made my way home to Charlie who should be home by now. Really a part of me hoped he wasn't home because it meant I didn't have to talk to him about my day. We hadn't really talked for weeks since I came back, but me being out he would want to talk about it. Shaking the thought from my head I knew I'd just deal with it when the time came. Turning down the street I could see the lights on at the house insuring Charlie was home waiting. Pulling into the drive I killed the engine, and got out knowing there was no stalling with how loud my truck was. Taking a deep breath I got out of the truck heading inside to face him.

"Bells," Came Charlie's voice from the living room with baseball game on.

"I'm home," I replied as I took off my jacket hanging it up.

"What happened?" Charlie asked with interest.

"I was in the NICU," I said walking to the entrance to the living room.

"Sick babies?" Charlie continued his questioning.

"Yes," I nodded as I answered. "I'm not sure that's good," Charlie trailed off towards the end.

"Listen I'm letting you dictate to me who I see. This is something I'm doing. I'm eighteen which means adult. Also Alice is taking me shopping tomorrow I need warmer clothes," I marched off at the end into the kitchen.

Grabbing a cup I went for the coffee pouring me a cup taking it to the kitchen table taking a seat. Sipping the coffee slow I felt my cell vibrating in my pocket, so I put the coffee down pulling my cell out.

"Hello," I answered the cell still a little snippy.

"It's Alice," Alice chirped with a smile in her voice.

"Could you come over," I pleaded almost needing my friend.

"I'll be there soon. It'll be okay," Alice tried to reassure me. "Thanks," I whispered before hanging up.

When Alice arrived Charlie didn't say a word to either of us; which I was more than thankful for. I was glad when I spotted an overnight bag on her shoulder because I need my friend to night to talk with through the night about everything. Heading upstairs I lead her to my room, and point to where she could sit her bag on my dresser. Pulling Alice on the bed with me; I was glad she came.

"How was it?" Alice inquired looking me over.

"She was so small. I couldn't understand someone leaving her on her own. What mother could," I shook my head blinking back tears.

"Humans are strange sometimes. I doubt we'll ever understand it," Alice frowned slightly as she spoke.

"Carlisle had me give her a name. Mercy Elizabeth," I smirked as I spoke.

"I like it. Cute!" Alice nodded in approval.

"I couldn't believe Charlie tell me it wasn't," I started as it replayed in my mind.

"Don't go there. Just think about the good stuff," Alice cut me off at the pass.

"It was nice spending time with Carlisle too. At first I was wondering what he was thinking I'm such a klutz. Holding this little baby was amazing. I could feel every breath she took, and I could feel her little heart beating. That's when I realized how fragile and breakable she was," I said remembering my visit.

"She's also a lot stronger than you know. I think that's why Carlisle put you two together. You both are fighters. Plus you are the type of person who needs to be needed, and this little girl needs you whether she knows or not," Alice explained Carlisle's logic.

"Did I pass," I asked jokingly.

"Mercy hasn't done as good in her whole little life," Alice smirked with a knowing glance.

"I might regret this later I need to do some Christmas shopping, so I need you to do my clothes shopping," I admitted reluctantly.

"Yeah!" Alice cheered looking like it was already Christmas.

"There is a budget. Two hundred," I warned her making it clear.

"That fine I can do it," Alice sighed in slight disappointment.

"Promise me you won't look to what I'm going to get you. I want you to be surprise," I pleaded knowing she'd see as soon as I chose her gift.

"I'll try my best," Alice promised to be as good as she could.

"One more thing I need to make a special stop. I found something that was in a real estate sale, and the guy held onto it for me," I started a little excited about my find.

"Possible Whitlock heirloom," Alice mused as her eye blanked out for a moment.

"Maybe... Keep it to yourself," I begged not wanting to know anything more.

"Man, I'm having to be really good here. Mine better be really good," Alice crossed her arms teasingly pouting.