Status: Be right back...

Dirty Little Secrets

Mr. Right

--Danny--

John was gone on another tour and I once again had Daisy all to myself. I preferred it this way, as any mother would.

Ever since that day he completely crushed our future together, we’ve said less to each other than before, which equals out to nothing. Half the time he wouldn’t even be the one to pick her up or drop her off. Whatever. I wanted to get over him, but he was still my first love.

****

“Can you believe she’s already one?!” My mother exclaimed throughout the house. Indeed it was a milestone. Just a year ago Daisy was welcomed into the world by her mother and father who once were a happy family. I hated to keep pining after him - since I was the one who broke up with him after all - but I just missed the old John. And maybe once I realize that the old John is gone, maybe I’ll start to move on.

“Dada!” Daisy said excitedly. I turned towards the front door and John was standing there, only having eyes for her. He walked past me as if I wasn’t even there and scooped Daisy up off the floor.

“Happy birthday, Sweetie,” he said and snuggled her closely. “Did you blow out your candle yet?”

“She didn’t.”

He looked at me like he was surprised I had been standing there. “I guess I’ll stay for that then.”

“Happy birthday to you,” my mom began to sing, walking into the dining room with a chocolate cupcake with a single candle stuck in the middle.

“Blow it out!” John encouraged Daisy as he continued to hold her. After a minute of her puffing her cheeks out thinking that she’s blowing air, John lightly blew it out for her.

“What’s it like when you see him with her?” Megan asked me after he left, breaking me out of my daze.

“Awful.”

“How so?”

“She has the attention that I don’t.”

“You broke up with him, Danny. You didn’t want his attention anymore. What did you expect? That he’d still be wanting you?”

“That’s how it is in the movies.”

“This isn’t a movie. He got the hint that you didn’t want to be with him anymore and he let you go.”

“I hate it when you’re smarter than me.”

“Well I am 18 now. You may have two years on me but you make some shitty decisions.”

She started to walk away when I shouted, “But it was to -”

“Make yourself happy, blah blah blah. Whatever Danny. Go get you some tail.”

“Megan!” My mom said.

“What? You didn’t think she was still a virgin did you?”

-March 12, 2009-

John was once again gone on tour. More Daisy for me.

“Hey bitch, I’m in LA!” Darcy screamed over the phone once I answered her call.

“I’m in Phoenix!” I mocked her.

“Well don’t just sit there! Come on over!”

“Because I can just pick up everything and leave right now.”

“Oh yeah I forgot you got that whole kid thing going on. But still! Come to LA! Let me see Daisy!”

After debating on the phone with Darcy for a few minutes, I finally gave in and began getting ready to go.

****

“Oh my goodness she is so adorable!” Darcy exclaimed as she opened her hotel room door. “I bet you get that a lot.”

“It makes me proud that something this cute came out of me.”

She laughed sharply then sat down on the bed so she could hold her. “You and John did good.”

A shiver went down my body and I shifted uncomfortably thinking about him.

“Are you guys not on good terms?” She asked and put Daisy down on the ground to stumble over to me and I scooped her up.

“We aren’t on terms at all. He rejected me.”

“What do you mean he rejected you? Did you try to get him back or something?”

I nodded. “I still loved him at the time. You can’t blame me for thinking about it.”

“And he totally shut you down and didn’t want you back?”

“Nope. Not at all.” I shuffled my foot on the blue carpet and Daisy began to pull my hair.

“Do you think you guys will ever get back together? For Daisy’s sake?”

“Why would we be together if it’s not what’s going to make us happy? In the end it’ll end up worse for her if we force ourselves to be together.”

“I hate seeing you like this, kid.” She was staring at me for a hot minute then perked up. “I know! I know just what will make you feel better!”

“I don’t drink anymore.”

“No, silly.” She grabbed my arm and pulled us out of the room and down the hall. “So I met this guy at the convention I’m at and he’s perfect for you.”

“Darcy, will you ever stop trying to set me -” The guy she met opened the door. “Up.”

“Hey Darcy, what’s going on?” He hugged her then looked at me. “Up?”

“Oh nothing,” I said hastily.

“Ah. I always come in at the wrong time. I don’t believe we’ve met. Your name?”

“Oh, I’m Danny. And this is Daisy.”

“Is she your sister?”

“No, she’s my daughter.”

His face didn’t change at all. “She’s adorable.”

“And what was your name?”

“That’s not important.” I looked around for Darcy to ask what his name was but she was long gone. “It’s Dirk.” We shook hands and his smile just killed me. “Well, Darcy said she wanted me to meet one of her friends. I’m guessing that’s you?”

“I guess it’s me. She always knows the most opportune moment to sneak away too.”

“She’s done this before?” He began to chuckle.

“Once or twice, yeah.”

He shook his head and closed his hotel room door behind him. “Well I was about to head out for dinner. Would you two like to join me?”

“Well since we came all the way out here, I don’t see why not.”

After talking to Dirk over dinner for a good hour, I decided he’d be a better friend than anything else. I wasn’t interested in anything beyond that.

“So...” He began then took a sip of his beer. “I’m guessing Darcy didn’t tell you that I’m off the market?”

“She didn’t. But I’m not surprised.”

“Why’s that? Is it because I’m so devilishly handsome and clever as hell?”

I chuckled at him. “Darcy has no consideration for people who are in relationships. While I was still with Daisy’s father, she kept trying to set me up with one of her friends.”

“Do you mind if I ask what happened between the two of you?”

“We grew up. We grew out of each other. He’d been in love with me for 12 years before asking me out and the timing was just all wrong.” I found myself staring a hole through Dirk without meaning to. I looked down. “We weren’t the same people anymore.”

“No, please, don’t hold back. Tell me everything,” he said sarcastically.

“Hey, you asked.”

“I did. I did ask.”

Daisy began banging her hands on the table and being vocal with the way she was feeling. “Well, it was nice to talk to you, Dirk. If I’m ever out here again or if you’re ever in Phoenix, we should definitely do this again.”

“We definitely should.” He helped me get all of my things together, left some money on the table, and walked me back to the hotel he and Darcy were staying at.

“So what did you think?” She asked once I was in her hotel room.

“He’s not my type.”

“Oh come on, yeah right. What’s wrong with him?”

“Nothing. We’re both emotionally unavailable.”

“Danny, you and John have been broken up for over six months now. It’s time to find you a new man.”

“I don’t need a new man right now, Darcy.” I felt like I was yelling at her. I was just so exasperated. “I have a 15-month-old. I don’t need to be focusing on finding Mr. Right.”

“But you don’t need to find him, Mr. Right is Dirk!”

“Maybe. But you’re Ms. Wrong Time.”

-December 22, 2009-

A knock came at my door as I slid on my floral print dress. “Come in, it’s open!” I yelled and began walking towards Daisy’s room.

“There’s my girl!” My dad said as he came in a few moments later. “You’re coming over tomorrow night right?” I nodded and placed her in his arms. “Have fun and be safe tonight.”

“I will, Dad. Love you.”

“Love you too, Danielle.”

He left and as I was finishing up my hair and makeup, another knock came at the door. This time I opened it for him. “Hey Dirk.”

“Hello Danny. You look marvelous.”

“Why thank you, you yourself look mahvelous.”

“Thank you, Dear.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drive?” I asked after we’d passed the same McDonald’s three times in a row. “I’m actually familiar with the area.”

“Shh. Patience is a virtue. We’re sightseeing. We’re looking at the beautiful mountains.”

“It’s night time, Dirk.”

“Can’t you let me have my fun?”

“No.”

“Wow, you are having none of my shit tonight.”

“I never have any of your shit.”

“This is true,” he said. “Ah! I told you I’d find it.”

We pulled up to a big two story house with tasteful Christmas lights. Little did I know that this was the night my life was going to change forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the obnoxiously long wait, guyz. I'm back in Texas for two weeks and without a TV in my room and no school to be at, I'll probably be updating a lot.
Hope you enjoy :)