Status: Be right back...

Dirty Little Secrets

High School Never Ends

After sleeping in John’s arms for three hours soundly, he left to go back to his house only to return at 7:15 to pick me up.

I walked outside with a thermos full of coffee and climbed sleepily into the passenger side. “Where’s Eric and Jared?”

“Eric finally got his car fixed.”

“After it’s been in the shop for three years?” He nodded and laughed then reached over to kiss me. “I haven’t seen you in forever.”

“I know. Did your mom say anything?”

“No I don’t think she knows. If she does, she obviously doesn’t care.”

We arrived at school a few minutes later and before I got out of the car, he held onto my arm to keep me in.

“Would you like to, um… Would you like to be my-my girlfriend?” He was sweating bullets for some odd reason.

All I could do was smile. “I’d love nothing more.”

He began breathing again then we walked over to the lunch table hand in hand. Only Eric and Jared were there and it was weird because Kennedy had been there for months. It made sense, but it just didn’t feel right.

“Aw, Jared! Look at the newlyweds!” Eric said as John and I blushed. The bell rang and Jared stepped in between us.

“I hope you don’t mind, John, but I’d love to do the honor of walking Danny to class today.” We began walking and he had his arm draped heavily around my shoulders. “Danny, I don’t want you to think that Eric and I aren’t okay with this relationship between you and John. We are okay; we’re just giving you a hard time.”

“It’s fine. I totally understand. I mean, we’ve all been best friends forever and things just happen as they happen.”

“You know, he’s never talked about liking you besides that one time at the party, but now that you guys are together, it’s kind of like… Like why weren’t you guys dating this whole time? It makes sense that you’d be with John because he’s beautiful.”

“That’s not why I’m with him. He is very attractive, but we just have this chemistry together. Kind of makes sense why I haven’t been able to keep a boyfriend for very long.”

He looked at me and smiled. “I can picture the two of you coming back for the ten year reunion married with a wallet full of pictures of your five children.”

“Five? I was thinking more around two or three.”

“No, definitely five.”

I smiled at him as we reached the drama class room. “Thanks for talking to me, Jared. I don’t want our friendship to fall apart because of this.”

“It won’t. Now you go have fun with your boo.”

As expected, Kennedy made no attempt to look or talk to me during Spanish or English class and took alternate routes to the classes we had together.

“Okay class, today we’re starting our cat dissection,” Mrs. Newland announced as John and I sat at the lab table Kennedy had previously evacuated from. The cat kind of stayed in the dissecting tray the whole class period while we waged thumb wars. Much better use of time.

After school, John took me to his house and watched TV on his bed. The door was slightly cracked but mostly shut when John’s dad came home and he obnoxiously busted it open when he walked by.

“Can I ask you something?” He asked me and looked down at me seriously.

“What?”

“How could you just break up with Kenny? After he said I love you and everything?” I looked at him with a confused look on my face considering I never told him the latter. “I heard it through the grapevine,” he assured me.

“Well… Kennedy came over to my house on Monday some time after you left and broke up with me. He told me that he’d kissed Alexis that morning and he felt horrible about it and… in other words he’d rather be with her. As if I hadn’t made up my mind that I wanted to be with you already, he just simplified things.”

“Yesterday when you came up to me and told me that you loved him, I didn’t really like that. Of course no guy would, but if you’re going to be with me, I would want you to love only me. I don’t want to share you with someone else.”

“I do love him,” I started and he looked away. “But as a friend. I’m nowhere near being in love with him, as I am with you.”

“Stop scaring me like that.”

“Sorry, boo.” I kissed him quickly but when I pulled away he pulled me right back to him and continued kissing me.

“I –”

“No saying I love you. We haven’t even had a second date.”

“I like you strongly.” I kissed his cheek then he sat up. “Let’s go. We’re going to Eric’s and test driving his car.”

“Is he going to know about it?”

“There’s a fifty percent chance the answer is no.”

We walked outside and I was about ten feet behind him. “You’re such a style chameleon.” He turned around and gave me a weird look. “Yeah, like last week you were this hipster kid with the strechy headband and skinny jeans, now you have a baseball hat, a fur-lined hood coat and baggy pants.”

“It must be the hair cut.”

“Must be.”

“I’m going to get a tattoo this weekend with Jared. You want to come too?”

“I’d hate to miss that…”

“Okay so you’re coming.”

As it was now February and the sun was setting, it became freezing cold and I left a jacket at my house so I raided Eric’s closet once we arrived at his house. I decided on a very large ASU sweatshirt.

“I got accepted there!” Eric said excitedly as he jumped around the room.

“I haven’t gotten any acceptance letters yet.”

“I got a letter from ASU but I’m afraid to open it.”

“When I get mine, we’ll open them together, okay?” I said with a smile as Eric stared at us.

“What a beautiful, tender moment.”

“So where are we going?” John said without acknowledging what Eric said. We both shrugged then a devious smile approached his lips.

“What are you thinking?” Eric said with the same smile. It looked like they were reading each other’s minds. “Yes. I know what you’re thinking. But you’re driving, I’ll chicken out.”

I stared at them uncomprehendingly but regardless followed them outside to Eric’s white SUV. I decided against asking questions.

We picked up Jared on our way to wherever we were going, which ended up being the back of Wal Mart. Jared hopped out of the car and it had been drizzling all day but for the moment had come to a standstill. I still had no idea of what was about to happen.

“Eric, why is this sweater so large? It’s like an extra large.”

“I need room for my love handles. I’m very sensitive about it too. Thanks, Danny.”

“Whatever, Eric.”

Eric took out his phone and started recording as John turned on some loud music. Out of nowhere, he screamed then slammed his foot on the gas, driving full speed ahead into a rather large speed bump. I came out of my seat and Eric was laughing hysterically at the abuse of his car. No matter how long I’d been friends with them, I didn’t understand the things they did for fun and the things they found funny.

The next day after school, normally would be a drinking party at John’s, but since he had a basketball game, it had to be rescheduled. I promised him I’d go even though I told him previously I’d never go to another game again.

Like last time, someone got on the microphone during halftime. But this time, it was John. “Hello everybody,” he said and his cute accent became prominent. “I know this is becoming a tradition at games now but…” He paused and walked forward. I didn’t realize he was walking up the steps of the bleachers to where I was sitting. “Danielle, will you go to prom with me?”

I didn’t say anything for a minute. For one, I didn’t think it was real. People were cheering all around me while he was standing there, waiting for an answer. I finally realized I wasn’t daydreaming like I normally did and stood up and gave him a kiss as I wrapped my arms around his neck. “Of course I will.” I said once we broke apart then he gave me another quick kiss and began to jog back over to the benches.

“Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!” Megan screamed once John scored the winning three pointer when we were down by two with two seconds left. I was confused why she was there.

“What are you doing here?” Garrett appeared next to her then started to hold her hand.

“Gare Bear asked me out finally and we decided to come here! And you got asked to prom!”

“Yes. I did.” I hated to admit it, but my little sister and Garrett looked cute together. Normally I was skeptical of her boyfriends, but since I knew him and knew he was extremely shy and respectable, I could tell that they’d be good for each other. “It’s getting late Megan, shouldn’t you be getting home?”

She rolled her eyes at me. “Yes, mother. We’re leaving soon.” She looked at Garrett and smiled as they both blushed then they disappeared in the two seconds I wasn’t looking in their direction.

Out of nowhere, I was being hugged from behind and I could smell John’s delicious cologne. “I can’t believe you said you’d go to prom with me. But you’re in luck. I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I can dance like nobody’s business.”

“Is that so?” I turned around to face him and his face was cuter than what I remembered from ten minutes ago. “I’ll have to decide that for myself.”

He put his arm around my shoulders then started heading towards the exit. “Do you want to go on a date with me tomorrow?”

“If I say yes, it better be over the rainbow.”

“Damn, I already scheduled the submarine and everything.”

I smiled and kissed him. “Yes, you crazy. I will go on a date with you tomorrow.” We arrived at my house and sat in his truck without saying a word. “Would you like to come in and stay for a while?” I asked finally.

“I thought you’d never ask.”

We walked in and my dad was sitting on the couch watching TV and my mom gave me the eye. So what if it was 9:30. I don’t think she liked me much anymore. Nevertheless she let him stay and he sprawled out on my bed while I went into my bathroom to change.

“Is that my shirt?!” He asked once I walked out.

“And if it is? What are you going to do about it?”

“Absolutely nothing, dear.”

“Don’t call me dear. It makes me feel like we’re an old married couple.”

“Absolutely nothing, bitch.”

“There you go. Much more 21st century high school lingo.” He laughed then I plopped down on top of him as he groaned.

“You know, I’m in here a lot.”

“You always have been. Things shouldn’t change just because you’re my boyfriend.” He turned towards me with a wide smile on his face.

“That sounds nice. Say it again.”

“You are my beautiful, wonderful boyfriend.” He kissed me quickly then held me tightly.

--John--

I ended up staying past eleven when I said I was going to leave and as I was holding Danny in my arms in the comfortable silence, I’d daydream about the future. I could see her by my side till the end. I always could, but now that she was with me it felt all too real. I’ve known Danny was the one ever since I was thirteen. And now I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with her.