House of Wolves

Shadows

This is a sequel to Your In Vampire Country Now, so if you haven't read that, this will make absolutely ZERO sense.
----------------------------------------------
Matt’s P.O.V.

The sky was dotted with hundreds upon thousands of stars. The moon shone bright, illuminating the dark forest, as I lay on the soft ground feeling the earth shift beneath me. Everything was peaceful and still. I closed my eyes and wondered how the earth could possibly be soaring through space at more than a thousand miles per hour, yet everything around me could be still as death. I dug my nails into the soil as I began to fall asleep, when the beautiful silence was interrupted by a single shrill scream. It was a girl. More importantly, it was a live human.

I immediately got up and ran in the direction where the scream had come from. As I got closer and closer to where it came from, I heard the unmistakable panting of my friend Shadow. I also heard a soft, frantic voice. “It’s okay doggy, I’m not gonna hurt you…please don’t hurt me…I just want out of here okay? Niiice, doggy!” Looking through the trees I saw a young girl, a little shorter than me, with long black hair and pale skin. She was so pale that I wondered if she was one of my kind, but that was impossible. I could smell the blood in her. However, I also smelled the scent of my kind all over her. Looking farther I could see Shadow, perched in the middle of the dirt road in front of the girl. “Please, I just want to pass!” The girl cried out. But wherever she moved, Shadow moved. I stepped out onto the path, into the moonlight. Shadow barked before I could tell her to be quiet. The girl spun around and stared at me with wide eyes. She was stunningly beautiful, wearing a billowing black dress with a violet sash and violet undertones. I suddenly felt very inferior. All I was wearing were jeans that had been torn up into shorts, and no shirt. My black hair was a ratty mess, and I could suddenly feel my teeth rotting to the core.

“It’s okay.” I said, thanking God that I knew English, for that was the only human language I knew. Though, I couldn’t remember if humans could speak Wolvish... “Shadow, come!” I grunted. Shadow hesitated, staring the girl down before finally coming over to me and lying down next to my feet. “Where are you headed?” I asked, as politely as possible. The girl made a face.

“Uhh…I’m not sure…” God, her voice was even beautiful. It was like the ringing of a soft clear bell.

“Are you lost?” She nodded. I nodded back. “I think I can help you.” I said, offering my hand to her. “Just follow me. I promise nothing bad will happen to you.” She hesitated, but then realizing she had nowhere else to go, she followed Shadow and I into the dark, dense forest.

“So, what’s your name?” I asked the girl. She looked very tense, and she kept looking back toward the path.

“S-Sa…Sorrow.” She whispered. I grinned.

“Well, that’s a name I’ve never heard before. It’s pretty though, ‘real pretty.” I winked at her. Her eyes widened and she blushed, and she then looked away. Shit. Your damned mannors Matt!

“Well, we’re almost to my place, k?” I finally said, after about ten minutes of awkward silence. She stopped dead in her tracks.

“Your place? I thought you said you were gonna help me out.” She glared hatefully at me. I took a few steps back, worried that she would strike out at me. Shadow tensed and ran in front of me, bearing her teeth protectively.

“Y-you never told me where you wanted to go! You said that you had no idea!” Her glare softened and her cheeks turned crimson as she realized that she hadn’t told me anything.

“Sorry…I…I wanted to get to a town…” She mumbled, embarrassed. I nodded and then sighed.

“The closest town’s about a two day walk from here.” I said, nodding my head in the town’s direction. Sorrow looked down at the ground, defeated. “And its not really safe to be walking around the forest at night…I’ll tell you what, you can stay the night, and I’ll help you get to town in the morning. Sound good?” Sorrow looked up at me. I could tell she really didn’t want to, that she didn’t trust me at all, but she also knew that she had no choice. She closed her eyes, and nodded slowly. I smiled as warmly as I could, and then continued to walk home.

Sorrow’s P.O.V.

I had gone from living in some sort of deranged nightmare to following a strange boy and his wolf to their home in the woods. I could honestly say I was afraid to death of his wolf, Shadow, though, she was an absolutely beautiful creature. She had gorgeous white fur and bright blue eyes. I got to thinking how her name didn’t fit her at all, that she was more like a…Starlight, or Moon…or something…but Shadow?

I felt bad about following this strange guy to his home. I had already had a hard time trusting people before I met the Vampires, but after finding out my first love murdered my cousin; I wasn’t in much of a trusting mood.

It was about another ten minutes before I saw any sign of a “home” in the forest. First I saw one wolf, then another, and then I saw about five more. The boy and Shadow started picking up their pace when they saw the wolves, which meant I had to walk faster, and I was so unbelievably tired that I almost couldn’t keep up. Finally, we stopped walking when we got to a clearing that was filled with wolves. Little wolves, big wolves, rabid wolves, any kind of wolf you can imagine was in that clearing. Shadow was the first to barge into the clearing. She began sniffing other wolves, greeting them. It looked to me like she was the Alpha female. The boy turned around to face me while the other wolves ran up and started sniffing me. “Welcome to my home!” The boy cheered, spreading his arms out. I cocked an eyebrow and nodded slowly. Where the hell do we sleep? “Here, let me introduce you to all my friends. You already know Shadow. Okay, this is Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Rain, Sun, Wind, Dark, Light, Breeze, Tree, Sky, Lake, Ocean…” He pointed to various wolves, and each time he said a wolf’s name it nodded its head down as if it were bowing. To tell the truth, I stopped listening to him, or rather I couldn’t keep listening to him, after Water. I was literally falling asleep with my eyes closed, and he didn’t even notice. “…Storm, Thunder, Lightening, Hurricane, Tornado, Tsunami…you okay?” My eyes popped open.

“Uhh, yeah…I’m just really tired…I’m sorry, keep going.” I yawned and tried to make it look like I was wide-awake.

“No, no, I should’ve known you were tired. Here,” He walked over and pulled a mat from out behind some trees. “I used to sleep on this ‘till I got used to the ground. Will it work for you?” I looked at the ratty leaf-filled mat and smiled half-heartedly.

“Oh, definitely.” I lied, taking the mat from him and thanking him. I set it down right on the ground next to me and started to lay down.

“Uhh, Sorrow…that’s Rain’s sleeping spot. Sorry,” He laughed and took my mat, setting it down on the other side of the clearing. I got up and shuffled over to where he was, careful to not upset and of the wolves. Slowly, I lay down. “I’m gonna go get us some water for tomorrow. You gonna be okay by yourself?” I nodded, closing my eyes. I heard the sound of hundreds of little paws running after the boy as all of the wolves left the clearing. I suddenly felt a mixture of loneliness, indifference, and exhaustion. I suddenly began to think about Mikey. How comfortable it felt to be in his arms. How much I missed the sound of his soft voice. The kiss I’d given him before I left. Thinking about the love I’d lost, I slowly drifted into the quiet undisturbed world of sleep.