House of Wolves

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Gerard’s P.O.V.

My secret was out, Chloe would forever loathe me, and I would be left out here to die. I wondered if she would even bother to say goodbye, but I figured not. I looked up at her, expecting to see her enraged and glaring down at me, only to see that she wasn’t looking at me at all. Instead, her gaze was fixed on Matt, who insisted on walking around us over and over again.

It was all for the good of our clan.” That set me off. I wanted him dead. I wanted to feel the feeling of killing him slowly and painfully. I wanted to taste his pain. I wanted to smell his fear. I wanted to hear him scream. I wanted to see him suffer. But something held me back. I watched Chloe’s eyes, moving back and forth, back and forth. It was quite like watching a cat stalk it’s prey.

“So, Mikey could be a human right now?” Chloe asked, her pupils narrowing. Matt started to grin and say something, but he stopped as soon as he looked up at her. At that moment I knew that everything was going to be okay. Somehow, I knew that she would never turn on me. I watched as Matt squirmed around uncomfortably, undoubtedly not understanding what was going on.

“Well, yes, but the Gods-”

“I don’t give a damn about the Gods.” Chloe was never one for religion. Matt was now completely at a loss for words. He was slowly realizing that his plan didn’t work, that he’d only made us turn against him more. “Gerard may have lied and told us that you beat Mikey, but to me this is far worse. If you had suffered half as much as Mikey has, and you knew there was a way out of it, you would call Gabriel in a second.” Matt tried to speak, but he couldn’t. He just stared in disbelief at Chloe.

“You bastards didn’t let me tell my side of the story! If you had I wouldn’t be out here right now! A Vampire shunned by its clan for something he didn’t do! And suffering? I’ve suffered more than any of you!” For Chloe, that was the final straw.

“Suffered? Suffered? What the hell have you been through? You were alive for six more years than we were, you were twenty-one. As soon as you were turned you were taken to the height of Vampiric royalty. You were waited on hand and foot, and all of your friends and relatives were turned along with you, so you’d never be alone. The only bad thing that’s happened to you is you getting kicked out of your own castle because you’re an incompetent ass.”

“What and you’ve been through worse?!”

Worse? I’d spent my entire life being treated like shit because I was a female. Both of my parents died when I was six years old. My brother, my best friend in the entire world, was killed when I was eleven. Gerard and Mikey’s grandmother, who had become a second mom to me, was killed when I was sixteen. I was turned into a vampire when I was sixteen, and forced to stay with Gabriel, who…” She suddenly stopped. She made a face as her brow furrowed. She reached out to Matt and grabbed a pendant that he had on his chest. With one tug she ripped it off and held it up to the moonlight. It was the silhouette of a butterfly, made with real rubies. Chloe reached around her own neck and pulled out a necklace that looked exactly like the one she was holding, but hers was made with sapphires. It took me a few minutes but suddenly I recognized both of them.

The ruby pendant was her brother’s. Chloe stared at the pendant in complete disbelief. I was utterly shocked, and Matt looked horribly guilty.

“What the hell are you hiding?!” Chloe screamed, shoving Matt backward. When he didn’t say anything she shoved him again, knocking him flat on his back. Before he could blink Chloe had pulled out her knife and was on top of him, like he had been on me only moments before. “How did you get this?!”

“I-I don’t remember!” Matt screeched.

“Like hell you don’t! Where the hell did you get this?!” Chloe was ready to rip his head off at any second, and I think he knew that. I knew he had gotten it from her brother, but I was there the night he died, and there weren’t any Vampires…

Chloe was crying harder than I’ve ever seen anyone cry in my life. She was in my arms, leaning against my chest, and you could barely hear her mumble, “Bo…” every few seconds. I could only imagine the pain she was in. If I ever lost Mikey, I couldn’t even have been half as composed as she was. I wouldn’t be able to stand, and I definitely wouldn’t be able to talk, even if she was only murmuring.

There were five men in the room with Bo when he died. Chloe and I had come home from exploring when we saw them. I wondered how they had known Bo died, but I figured they were doctors, and they just knew that sort of thing. Bo’s body was covered with a black sheet, and was taken off to be buried outside. Now there were three men left in the room with us. “You see, this boy died of the Plague.” Chloe started crying harder, if that was even possible.

“W-wait…when you get the plague…don’t you get black spots on your body and stuff?” I asked, even though I knew the doctors were right, or at least I thought they were.

“Not always.” The doctor said. “I’m very sorry for your loss.” He said, I nodded and held Chloe tighter. The man nodded back and he and one of his fellow doctors left the house. But one of them stayed behind. He had long-ish hair, which was weird for men back then, and a beard, but that’s all I really noticed. He stared at the two of us. I stared right back. Our eyes met. The man grinned, and walked out of the house. I shook my head and turned my attention to Chloe.

“It’s okay, Chloe. You can live with us, okay?” Chloe had stopped crying. I assume she was beyond the point of tears now. She looked up at me, her blue eyes red and swollen and discolored. It damn near broke my heart, in fact, I think it did.


I don’t know how I came to the conclusion, but I did. “You killed her brother.” I said, just loud enough so they could hear me over Chloe’s threats. She stopped and turned to me. “You were the man that stayed behind…” I shook my head.

“Why would I kill-”

“You killed him? You killed my brother?”

“N-no, I would never! He’s fucking lying again c-” Chloe took the knife and cut his throat just enough so he started bleeding. “What the-” She cut him again, and again. He was now bleeding all over himself.

“Tell me, or I will kill you.”

“I didn’t! I swear!” She cut him again. His blood was almost to the point of pouring out of his neck. It seeped out onto the ground and coated the soil around him. Shadow started growling, but Matt told her no.

If he didn’t confess, Chloe was going to end up dead herself.