Sequel: For Better or Worse
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

For the Best

The Dangers of Loving Mistakes

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Zacky’s POV*^
Saylee and I laid there for another few minutes until finally we both seemed to come to our senses at the same time. We both got up and began getting our clothes on without a word, and she pushed me out of the room, but as I turned to see if I could talk to her, she slammed the door shut and locked it. I raised my hand to knock, but then let it fall. There was a line. It was a very bold, and thick line, and we had just crossed it without thinking of the consequences. I felt my stomach churning, and I turned, putting my shirt on and quickly making my way down the stairs and towards the front door.

“Zacky, what-” I didn’t even listen to him, I just walked out, letting the screen door slam shut behind me, but I stopped short as I got to the SUV. The front tires were flat. “Zack! Wait- Oh that motherfucker.” Brian stopped beside me.

“Oh god…” I groaned, not wanting to be here right now. “Oh my god.” I sat on the steps of the porch, my head in my hands. Benji’s going to kill me. I fucking know he is. He’s going to kill me now.

“Zacky, what’s wrong with you?” Brian asked, sitting beside me. “And why in the fuck do you look so disheveled?” He asked, looking over at me, and I sighed. “I mean, you look like you’ve been through hell and back. And…how the fuck did you get your shirt on inside o-…” He just stopped, taking his hand off of my shoulder. “Your hair’s fucked up, your shirt’s on inside outward, and you were wanting to get out of here immediately…” He seemed to finally piece it together. “Oh my god.” Brian started sounding like he was going to be sick. “Oh my god, you fucked her.”

“I couldn’t stop.” I whispered, my voice cracking.

“I-I don’t even know what to…I mean, we came here to fix shit, Zacky, and now you’ve… I don’t even want to see your face.” He stood up and the screen door slammed back as he walked inside. I knew exactly how he felt. I didn’t want to see myself. I was disgusted with myself, though what could I do about it now? How many more fucking stitches are they’re left to sew now that the old ones have ripped? But then again…if shit’s just going to keep getting fucked up, what’s the use of going through the pain again? I’m the problem. If I just disappeared, everything would fix itself. Me and my goddamn emotions need to get shot by Benji. Though in a way I guess I need to be careful with what I think, because if Benji finds out I may just get my wish.

“Hey Zack.” Speak of the devil. I looked up as I saw his old boots come into view, his lips curved into a smile. “So, you and Brent talked to Saylee yet?” He seemed eager to find out if we had been able to talk some sense into her, but instead of telling the truth and begging his forgiveness and help while hoping I get to keep my life, I just nodded.

“Y-yea.” I was going to say more but thought better of it.

“So, what’d she say?” He asked, sitting down next to me.

“Uh, after her parents bail him out she was going to get rather you or Brian and I to take her to go talk to him.” I hated how easy lying had become lately. But god…all it would take is for me to tell him I fucked his niece and I’m sure he’d kill me before I could stand up and run.

“That’s great, because I talked to her parents, yelled at ‘em some, and they’re gonna now to bail him out. They probably already have him sprung.” He just grinned. “Everything’s going to work out in the end, Zack.” He patted me on the back, and it creeped me out because he repeated the words I had told Saylee without even knowing it. He walked in front of me and over to the side of the house. Well, this is it. He noticed my hair, my shirt, the way I’m all jumpy and fucked up, and he knew what we did. He’s going to emerge with some three foot long black axe, and he’s going to stand in front of me, raise it, and bury it so deep inside of my skull that not even the medical examiner will be able to get it out. I’ll be buried with that damn axe in my head as a reminder of what I deserved for what I’ve done. But as he walked back, he had an air compressor hose, lugging it from the old shed. “Sorry ‘bout the tires, I just didn’t want you and Bert running off with Saylee.” I wanted to smile as he kept getting Brian’s name wrong, but I just couldn’t bring myself to. He began airing the tires up, and I got up, not liking the loud noise and went back in the house.

“So,” Brian began, sounding pissed off and upset as he stood from the couch. “What’s that noise? Benji going to stick the nose of an air compressor in one of your ears and blow your brains out the other?” He asked snappily.

“Sadly no.” I muttered.

“I can’t even get a fucking response from Saylee other than a fucking, ‘Everything’s fine just leave me alone’ so you’ve really fucked shit up this time, Zack!” He yelled at me, and I cringed, hoping Benji hadn’t heard him over the air compressor.

“Just shut up, okay?! If he finds out I had sex with her then he’s not only going to kill me, but you too, because you were down here, and did nothing!” I yelled right back. “Let that fucking slip and I swear I’ll bring you down with me, you motherfucker. I fucked, Saylee, but that doesn’t mean everything is going to fall on just me.” I growled, grabbing his collar, and his eyes got wide as he looked at something behind me, and then I heard the screen door close. I felt like I was going to throw up as I slowly let go of Brian’s collar, and let my hands rest on his chest because I didn’t feel like I could hold myself up.

“You…you what?” I heard Benji’s voice, and I just stayed frozen, my eyes locked on Brian’s face before I heard footsteps calmly walk up the stairs.

“Let’s get the fuck out of here.” Brian grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards the screen door, and to the SUV. We parted ways and he got in the driver’s side as I got in the passenger’s side.

“Spare key in the glove box, give it to me.” He demanded and I quickly opened the glove box, grabbing the key that was under some papers, and handed it to him. He started the car up, and gravel flung up as he backed up, and I caught Benji as he emerged from the house and aimed a gun at the windshield, and began firing, round after round.

“Shit!” I screeched, ducking down, and Brian cried out, but then threw the car into drive as two more bullets flew through the windshield, and as he drove out onto the dirt road, more bullets hit the back, shattering the glass. He kept the pedal to the floor until we were around a bend, and away from the house.

“Goddammit Zacky! This is what fucking happens when you get all fucking stupid!” Brian screamed, his teeth gritted together and pain evident in his voice as I looked over and noticed blood pouring from a gunshot wound in his right shoulder.

“Shit, pull off and let me drive.” I told him, trying to keep a calmness that I knew I had killed long ago.

“Not until we’re off this road.” He growled, and I could tell he wanted to shoot me. I sighed, and leaned against the door. Good job Zack, Brian hates you, Saylee probably hates you, you know Matt’s going to kill you, no matter what, and Benji hates you even more than he did, and he shot your best friend whilst trying to kill you. You’re such a fuck up it’s not even funny. “Fine, I can’t do this anymore.” Brian pulled off onto the side of the road, and I got out as soon as he stopped. He got out as I went over, and just glared at me as he walked over to the passenger’s side, and got in. I took a deep breath before getting back in the car, and I took it out of park, getting back on the road as silence settled over us as he managed to rip the other sleeve off of his shirt, and hold it tightly to his shoulder. I’d glance over at him every few minutes, and he just kept breathing deeply and sighing ever so often, and now and then he’d glare at me. I was headed straight for the hospital, but we were still a good fifteen minutes away. “Zacky…” I automatically looked over at him, his voice sounding weak, and almost like he was going to start crying. “I swear, if you let me die…”

“Brian don’t say that. You’re not going to die. You…you can’t.” I sped up some.

“Zack…I can’t…” His voice just trailed off and I looked over at him, his head leaned back, and his hand slowly falling from his shoulder.

“Brian?” I questioned, my voice not hardly loud enough for him to hear me. “Brian?! Brian!” I yelled, but he was out. “I swear, you motherfucker, you better not fucking die on me now, man. I can’t go through this shit without you!” I slammed the gas down, driving as fast as possible as I kept my vision as clear as possible through the tears. God I just keep on fucking everything up.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
I heard gunshots, but even after they stopped a moment later I didn’t get up, I was too terrified to move. I just stayed sitting at the door, where I had been since Zacky left. At least another ten minutes passed until I finally heard something.

“SAYLEE, GET DOWN HERE NOW!” I heard Benji’s voice after I heard the screen door close, and I slowly got up. He found out. I took a deep breath as I got up and straightened my shirt and ran my hands through my hair before I opened the door and walked out, seeming to not have control as I reached the bottom of the stirs in no time where Benji was waiting. “You…you’re in trouble. I don’t even…” He ran a hand down his face. “You know what, I tried to help you. I went and talked your parents into getting your son of a bitch boyfriend out of jail, I let Zachary and Brand stay here while I was gone so maybe they could talk some sense into you, and I trusted them alone with you. I trusted you, Saylee. I trusted you. I’m sick of this, now. I’m sick of you digging yourself deeper and deeper into this grave you’ve fallen into, and I’m sick of trying to help you out when you just jump right back in every single time. I’m sick of it.” I hadn’t seen him this pissed ever. “Call one of your boyfriends, and let them come pick you up, because you have exactly one hour to get out of here.” He said sternly and I nodded, understanding. “I would do anything for you, Saylee, but this has gone just too far.” He turned and walked off upstairs, and just as I started walking outside, I got a call. I dug my phone out of my pocket and saw Brian’s name across the screen.

“H-hello?” I answered shakily.

“Saylee, it’s Zack. You need to get to the hospital. Brian got shot, and I’m too fucked up to go through this shit alone right now.” Zacky’s voice was tear stained and I was already running up the stairs.

“I’ll be there, just give me a few minutes.” I said quickly, and he muttered a goodbye before he hung up. I ran to Benji’s room.

“Benji, you shot Brian, and I need to get to the hospital!” I yelled, knocking on his door. It opened a moment later and he was smiling slightly.

“Damn, I was aiming for Zachary but…I hit one of ‘em?” He asked, and I rolled my eyes.

“I just need you to drive me to the hospital, then you can leave me alone for the rest of your life.” I said and he scoffed.

“Matthew’s out of jail by now, go call him and get him to come get you.” He said, and slammed the door. I sighed, and got my phone back out of my pocket, hitting the emergency button to get to the keyboard quicker, and dialed Matt’s number as I ran down the stairs. I listened to it ring, one, twice-

“Saylee?” Matt answered, his voice soft.

“Matt, I need you to come pick me up at Benji’s place and then we need to get to the hospital, because Benji shot Brian.” All I could do was keep my calm and try not to explain even more to him. I needed Zacky by me when everything came into focus.

“A-alright. You’re at Benji’s?” He asked and me, being scared to death for Brian’s life since I didn’t know where he got shot, nodded. “Saylee? You there?” I heard his car door slam.

“Yea, I’m at Benji’s.” I answered, realizing my nod was useless.

“I’ll be there in fifteen.” He said and I went to hang up, but got stopped. “And Saylee,” Matt began, and I put the phone back to my ear. “Uh…I’ve been thinking and I’m um…I’m sorry that I got so pissed over that kiss between you and Zacky. That was all it was, and all it ever will be, according to you, and it’s in the past, I was just all pissed off anyways because I had to leave so late at night to go get their drunken asses, and then I got arrested and…it wasn’t a good night for me.” I just stood, not saying a word.

“Matt-”

“Don’t apologize, Say. It didn’t mean anything, I get that.” There was nothing but silence for a moment, and then he spoke again. “I love you.”

“I-I love you too.” I couldn’t find my voice as I then just took the phone away from my face and hung up. I walked over to the couch, not being able to feel my legs, and put my head in my hands. He forgave me. He forgave me for kissing Zacky, and I just…I just fucked his best friend, thinking things were over and done with Matt. I was getting Matt back, but now I was drowning in questions. How much longer until we’re torn apart by my actions? How much longer until he walks out again? How much more can his heart take until he just says ‘Fuck it all’ and kills himself? How much more can my heart take?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

amodernmyth88
I'mLying
Lucyy Jayy
party poison;
Synus Sneezus
UnholyConfessions0

xoxo, Saleigh