Sequel: For Better or Worse
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

For the Best

Veering Off Track

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
I drove slowly over to Benji’s place, because I had too many thoughts rushing around my brain to drive fast. I got Saylee’s parents to drop me off at Brian’s house instead of my apartment, because if they dropped me off at my apartment, I wouldn’t have a vehicle, because my car was long gone and probably just a giant crushed up clump of metal at a junkyard by now, so I was in Brian’s Hummer. But after Saylee’s parents dropped me off at Brian’s place, it was obvious that they still didn’t like me, and that I wouldn’t be seeing them again anytime soon, and possibly ever. They barely let me get out and shut the door before they drove off. But sadly that wasn’t only that thought that was keeping me from speeding over to Benji’s place. Benji shot Brian. I knew why Brian was over there, he was there because he was probably trying to talk to Saylee, and get her to come back to his place. Also, knowing him, he thought her and I were over, so he was most probably also going to lure her into some sick trap. If Benji overheard whatever he was telling her, then it was pretty obvious to why he shot Brian. But Brian also had a sweet side to him, and he seemed to think of Saylee as a little sister, or so I hoped. But I’d just have to find out once I got there. As I turned, about to go on the dirt road, I stopped. I was in Brian’s black Hummer; the older model Hummer that you really can’t get anymore. I slowly began driving onto the road, knowing Brian was going to kill me once he got out of the hospital and found has Hummer dusty as fuck. If he gets out of the hospital, that is. I still didn’t know where he got shot, and with the thought that he could be barely hanging onto life, I sped up. He couldn’t be gone.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
I heard a knock on the door, and I looked up from my hands to see Matt on the porch. I got up, and ran to the door, flinging it open and wrapping my arms around him. I had begun crying after I got off of the phone with him, and I still was.

“I’m sorry, Matt. I’m so fucking sorry.” I whispered, and it came across to him that I was sorry about everything I had put him through with Zacky, but I meant it for so much more.

“It’s okay, it’s okay.” He hushed, rubbing my back softly as I took a deep breath, pulling away from him as I wiped my eyes.

“We’ve got to get to the hospital.” I said and he nodded.

“Right.” He said and I walked on out in front of him, and over to the passenger’s side of Brian’s Hummer as he got in the driver’s side. He immediately pulled out of the driveway, and sped off down the road. “So, how did Brian get shot?” He asked and I hesitated for a second.

“Uh…Benji was actually trying to shoot Zacky, but he missed.” I whispered, and Matt looked over at me, and I just looked down.

“Why was he trying to shoot Zacky?” He asked, his voice clueless.

“Benji was pissed off and… I’ll explain it all once we get to the hospital, I promise.” I said, looking over at him, and he slowly nodded.

“Why wouldn’t Benji drive you?”

“Because he wants me out of his life.”

“Why does he want you out of his life?”

“Because I keep fucking everything up.” I said, rather harshly, feeling the tears in my eyes.

“Okay, sorry, I just…I’m trying to piece shit together here because nothing’s adding up.” He admitted and I nodded, understanding.

“Let’s just get to the hospital, check on Brian, and then Zacky and I will explain everything. No more secrets.” I said and he slowly nodded again, just keeping his eyes on the road. I wasn’t going to keep anymore secrets from him, I wasn’t going to keep lying to him, and I wasn’t going to keep doing things with Zacky behind his back.

“I’m just glad to have you back.” He whispered, and reached over, grabbing my hand and squeezing it slightly with a smile, that just broke my heart. I had such a nice, sweet guy, and I had no idea what in god’s name I did to deserve such a person. I just hoped that the reality that had taken place while he was in jail wouldn’t hit him with a crushing blow that was hard enough to knock him out of my life for good.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Zacky’s POV*^
“Thanks.” I smiled at the doctor, who returned the smile and walked off, leaving me to sigh heavily and sit down for the first time since I had gotten here. Brian had lost a lot of blood, and his collar bone had been chipped, but luckily he was going to be fine. He just got out of surgery a few minutes ago, and would be discharged in about an hour or so. I had been pacing around, driving the nurses crazy for the past forty five minutes. Now I just had to wonder where Saylee was, but I didn’t have to wonder for long before she rounded the corner, and I shot up, running over to hug her, but stopped in my tracks as Matt followed behind.

“Zacky, how’s Brian?’ Saylee asked, and I just stood there.

“H-he’s going to be f-fine.” I stuttered, not able to pull myself together. My nerves were shot. Yea, like I had nerves to begin with.

“Are you alright?” Matt asked, resting a hand on my shoulder, and I tensed up, and he took his hand off of me.

“I’m fine.” My voice was so quiet and squeaky…I knew he could tell something was wrong.

“Well uh, Saylee, we’re here now, and we’ve found out that Brian’s okay, so are you going to tell me what’s going on?” Matt asked, looking at Saylee, and I looked at her with wide eyes as Matt had his back turned to me. She looked at me and nodded sternly, and I felt my heart shatter. I turned and walked over to the chair, but Matt and Saylee followed, and Saylee kept me from sitting down. I turned back to the two of them, the three of us in a triangle, and I was much too close to Matt to be comfortable.

“Matt,” Saylee took a deep breath.

“Please, Say…” I trialed off, and she looked at me apologetically.

“We can’t just keep hiding shit from him; especially not this. I love him…he has a right to know.” I simply nodded in response.

“You do it.” I told her and we both looked to Matt, who looked more confused than Brian when a girl tosses a drink in his face and walks away. It was the look of, first: What the fuck just happened? Second: Did I do something? And third: Something isn’t right here…

“Matt, I’m going to be straight forward, and just pray that you don’t ditch me, because I really don’t have anyone right now besides you, Zacky, and Brian, and I don’t love them like I love you-”

“And don’t kill me.” I added, and she nodded.

“But…I fucked Zacky.” She said, and Matt’s expression changed slightly, but it wasn’t anger, it wasn’t betrayal, it wasn’t even sadness it was just…unexplainable.

“O-okay…” He dragged the word out, trailing off. “I-…I don’t really know…” He just shook his head and sat down, putting his head in his hands as he rubbed his eyes.

“I’d like to start the excuse by saying that we love each other, but we’re not in love, because she’s yours, I just…we just… It was a matter of vulnerability, the past, the present, and a little bit of a possible future because we though you weren’t getting out of jail.” I said, looking down as I began waiting for him to get up and beat the living hell out of me.

“I was fucked up at the time, Matt.” Saylee said, trying to clear it up as well. “I was pissed off at you because I thought it was stupid of you to get so worked up over a little kiss that meant nothing, and I didn’t think you were getting out of jail, but if you did I was set on pissing you off even more.”

“See?!” I asked, hoping to maybe show him a brighter side of this. “That hurt! She had sex with me because she was pissed off at you! Doesn’t that…” I sighed, thinking that I was just getting dumber, and I wasn’t fixing shit, or going anywhere. “That doesn’t fix anything.” I just sat down next to him, leaning back.

“Well…I guess our relationship was on a…break, then so I guess it doesn’t count as cheating.” Matt looked up at Saylee. “I mean, I guess I kind of deserved it.” Matt looked at me and I flinched back slightly. “I left you and Brian at the bar,” He looked at Saylee. “And I had a lot of pent up aggression, and when I got back to Brian’s I was going to scream and yell at you, and that wouldn’t have solved anything. But…this is the past, right?” He looked between the two of us, and Saylee and I nodded.

“Exactly, we don’t have any feelings for each other.” Saylee said and I agreed.

“We just had a couple run-ins with each other, and they’ll never happen again.” I cleared up quickly, and we fell silent as Saylee sat on the other side of Matt.

“So…you’re not that mad?” She asked softly after a moment, and Matt looked up.

“Oh, I want to run the fucker over repeatedly until his insides are strewn across the parking lot.” He said, sounding upbeat, but I just stared at him.

“But…but you-” Say was cut off.

“But I won’t because first, he’s my best friend, and second, I know you wouldn’t take it very well to me getting thrown in jail for manslaughter.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
I smiled at Matt’s words and hugged him, and he wrapped his arms around me.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered once more.

“It’s alright.” He seemed to really be okay with it mostly with knowing that it will never happen again.

“Hey, what did you two do to Zacky?” I pulled away from Matt and we looked to see Brian looking at Zacky, his right arm in a sling and his shoulder heavily bandaged.

“Don’t worry about the motherfucker, he’ll be fine.” Matt smiled as Zacky just kept staring at him. “You holdin’ up?” Matt asked with a slight smile, standing up and Brian nodded, and then looked at me.

“Yea, but I need to talk to you about something.” He said and I stood up as well.

“It’s all been sorted out already, Brian. Zacky and I already told him, and we told him it wasn’t going to happen again, and everything’s okay now.” I said, taking Matt’s hand and he smiled at me, and kissed my cheek.

“Oh…so I can’t scream at Zacky anymore?” He asked and Matt shook his head.

“No, the poor guy’s…” He looked over to Zacky trailing off.

“I think you broke him with the comment about repeatedly running him over until his entrails were strewn about the parking lot.” I said, seeing Zacky still staring at where Matt had been sitting.

“Nice, you broke him.” Brian high fived Matt with his good hand as he grinned. “Zack!” Brian slapped him in the back of the head and he cringed.

“Ow.” He muttered, and Matt just rolled his eyes.

“Anyways, Brian, I’m taking your Hummer, and since everything’s okay again, Saylee and I are heading back to my apartment.” Matt said and Zacky stood up.

“Woah, woah, woah, no, you’re taking the fucked up SUV that’s riddled with bullet holes. That Hummer’s my fucking baby.” Brian said quickly.

“Fine, fine.” Matt said, and Zacky took a deep breath.

“Well, I’m gonna move in with Brian, if that’s okay with you, Brian?” Zacky looked to Brian and Brian nodded.

“Of course!” Brian’s eyes lit up. “We can-”

“Oh god, I don’t want to hear about your sex plans.” Matt groaned, thankfully cutting Brian off.

“But there’s a world of bars and hot chicks, and two of the most eligible bachelors are going to be living in the same house!” Brian exclaimed and slung his left arm over Zacky’s shoulder, with a grin.

“Well, let’s get going, I need to get my stuff from your apartment.” Zacky said, and walked out from under Brian’s shoulder and towards the door.

“Hey, you still haven’t heard my plans!” Brian ran to catch up.

“I wonder how many drugs he’s on right now…” I trailed off as Matt and I began walking behind them.

“Who the hell knows.” Matt said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders, and earning a smile from me. “But all that matters right now is that we get to spend every waking hour together.”

“Until someone barges in.” I corrected and he nodded.

“Right.” He nodded as we walked outside, a smirk crawling onto his face. “Remind me to put another lock on the bedroom door.”

“What about the other doors?” I asked, looking up at him, and he shrugged.

“It’s not like we’re going to be in the rest of the house.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
A week passed, and we all spent almost every day together, and things were fine. Everyone was getting along, Zacky and I were keeping our distance, and Brian and Zacky had to pry Matt and I apart at times, and they’d call our phones repeatedly, just to get us out of bed. Matt’s gone through three different phones as a result, because he keeps throwing them into the wall. Once another week started, things began going downhill. I was spending my mornings in the bathroom, and Matt got worried, thinking the worst first, Zacky got worried, thinking I had caught some bug, and Brain had his suspicions, and only told me about them, but every time he brought it up, I’d call him crazy. It was the day that Zacky had drove Matt to go get the SUV that had been in the shop getting repaired, and Brian came over, that I really knew he had lost it. But I went along, wanting to prove him wrong. I wanted to rub the truth in his face and continue to tell him that maybe we needed to get him admitted into the asylum that Shannon and Jimmy were once in, but then I saw it, and it made me sick to my stomach. I just stared at it, my stomach churning, my eyes watering, and Brian outside in the hall, sitting in the floor against the wall on the opposite side of the door, waiting for me. I couldn’t think, but I went to one person I could rely on in any situation, and trusted her to knock some kind of sense into me. I took my phone from my pocket, praying that she’d get reception wherever the fuck she was, and that I could get a hold of her. I dialed the number as fast as I could, and put the phone to my ear, my heart racing, my mind turning to mush, and the ring barely meeting my ears.

“Hello?” I let out a sigh when I heard Shannon’s voice, that sending some comfort in me, even though she sounded aggravated.

“Shannon.” I said, just grateful to have her on the phone.

“Saylee? Oh my god, where the fuck have you been? I haven’t heard a word from you in forever.” She said and I heard shuffling in the background and someone’s groggy voice before she laughed slightly. “Jimmy said, hi, midget.”

“Well, that’s comforting.” I muttered.

“Hey, are you alright?” Her voice got serious, and I shook my head, but then quickly realized it was stupid of me to do so.

“One second.” I said calmly, and put my phone on the counter, falling to the toilet and letting the contents of my stomach come up, not being able to keep them down anymore. I hadn’t eaten anything all morning because I wasn’t able to keep it down. I sat back, and reached up, getting my phone as I laid down in the floor, my head spinning. I was just a kid myself…how in the hell was I supposed to fucking take- I don’t even like kids! I hated putting it the way I did, but I felt stuck with it, and I couldn’t just get rid of it, because it was…it was rather Matt or Zacky’s too.

“Saylee? Are you okay?” Shannon asked and I took another deep breath.

“First of all, before I say anything, about two weeks ago I slept with Zacky, and a night later I slept with Matt.” I confessed and she went silent. “Yea, I know, don’t even begin. But Matt knows about it, and he was okay with it because it’s never going to happen again because it was in the past and it happened during a time that Matt was kind of out of the picture.”

“So you interrupted-”

“That’s not all.” I said, cutting her off.

“So what, you’re in love with Zacky and Matt now and you’re all conflicted over who will treat you better?” She asked, and I knew she wasn’t okay with what I had told her. “I think you should leave Zack the hell alone before you break Matt’s heart for g-”

“No, that’s not it.” I swallowed the growing lump in my throat, just trying to breathe as I cut her off once more. “I’m pregnant.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

amodernmyth88
Synus Sneezus
Lucyy Jayy
SuicideCommando
NME_foREVer_6661

xoxo, Saleigh