Sequel: For Better or Worse
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

For the Best

Growing Up Too Fast

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
Matt stayed downstairs as I went up to my old room, where everything was still like I left it the night that Matt had come and got me. I went over to my closet and opened the door, grabbing a duffel bag, and my suitcase, putting them both on my bed. I unzipped the suitcase and folded up the duffel bag, putting it in the suitcase and then went back to my closet, taking a good few of my clothes and folding them up and placing them on top of the duffel in the suitcase. All the clothes I really packed were jeans and a bunch of tee shirts to wear while I still could. I then moved into my bathroom, taking what I needed, and packing it away in the suitcase. Then I headed over to my desk, grabbed my laptop, the charger, and a few other things I felt incomplete without. Mostly electronics. I packed them safely in my suitcase, zipped it up, and grabbed the handle on the side, picking it up from the bed.

“I got it.” I turned and looked to the door at Matt’s voice to see him coming in. He smiled and walked over, taking the suitcase from me, and automatically nearly fell over. “Goddamn, what’s in here? A dead relative?”

“No.” I couldn’t keep a giggle back as he struggled with it. “I can carry it if you like.” I offered, but he just shook his head as he groaned and lifted it over his shoulder.

“Remind me to not offer help with your suitcase anymore.” He said with a joking tone as he started walking out.

“Will do.” I assured, following him out of my bedroom, and I closed the door behind us, and we walked down the stairs, and through the living room.

“You sure this is all you need?” He asked, turning towards me and I nodded. “Really? Because this doesn’t feel heavy enough.” I just grinned. “I was thinking maybe you could go ahead and try to pack up all of the bricks from the fireplace as well.”

“Alright Sergeant Smartass, I told you I could carry it, but you insisted so you can’t complain.” I said and he rolled his eyes and put the suitcase down.

“Alright, I want to see if you can even pick it up.” He said, and it looked like he was struggling to keep a smile off of his face. I smiled and walked forward, picking it up, and he just stared at me, obviously not amused.

“Poor Mattie can’t even lift a suitcase.” I pinched his cheek, but he just pursed his lips.

“What did you do to it? I know you aren’t lifting that.” He said and I held it to him, because it really wasn’t that heavy.

“Here, take it.” I told him, and he hesitantly took it, and his hand went down an inch with the weight.

“It’s not heavy. I got it.” He said and I rolled my eyes at him with a smile as he walked on out, and I half expected him to scream once he got in the car. I turned and grabbed the door knob, pulling the door closed before I put my hand in my back pocket, making sure I still had the note. I’d definitely be back to this place, because Matt’s apartment was located in a place that frankly scared the shit out of me, and we weren’t going to live with Brian forever. I took the key from my pocket and locked the door before I let the screen door close. I walked to the SUV, and got in the passenger’s side, and Matt looked over at me.

“Are you alright?” I asked, and he nodded.

“My back’s not broken, so I can’t complain.” He said with a smile. “I’m gonna let Zacky get it out, though.” He just grinned and I shook my head, the smile on my face not wanting to go away.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Zacky’s POV*^
I sat on the couch, watching TV with Brian. I had to just keep my mind off of the situation at hand. I may not be the father. The kid possibly couldn’t be mine. I wasn’t ready to throw my cards in and quit the game just yet. I wasn’t ready to stop bar hopping with Brian and stumbling home drunk with some girl I barely knew, but knew enough about to know that she would be out of my bed by morning and in Brian’s, and I’d spend the day nursing a hangover just to go out the next night and do it all over again. That was my lifestyle- that was Brian and I’s lifestyle, and I wasn’t ready to let him go out alone yet. I just had to keep thinking positive. Even if it was my kid, I wouldn’t…I couldn’t become attached. I just couldn’t. I’d figure the DNA test out first, and beg whoever got the results to tell Matt and Saylee that it was Matt’s. I knew he really loved Saylee, and I knew that he was ready to settle down now with a girl, and live out his life in love, with his two crazy best friends being all happy for him, but not yet wanting that life for themselves. If that kid turned out to be mine, he’d be crushed. And then he’d crush me.

“Hey, Zacky, go get the door.” Brian said, and I realized someone was knocking at the door.

“You get it.”

“I just got the sling off of my shoulder from being shot thanks to you. You go get the door.”

“I may be a father in about eight months, I can barely walk right now I’m in such shock. You go get the door.” I retaliated, and he groaned.

“Saylee’s the one carrying the baby, Zack, not you.” He stood up, and stopped as he looked down at my feet, propped on the coffee table and keeping him from passing.

“You’re killin’ me, man.” I told him and he rolled his eyes and stepped over my legs. I looked back at the TV, some show about rednecks that owned a duck call company was on, and had been on since Saylee and Matt left.

“Oh god, don’t shoot!” I heard Brian yell, his voice scared, and I looked over to see him crouched in the floor on his knees with his arms covering his head, and Benji standing above him, his hand still raised to knock.

“Get up off the ground, boy, you look like an idiot.” Benji grabbed Brian’s arm and pulled him up roughly. I just stared at Benji, terrified. He was here to kill me. Saylee had told her parents about her being pregnant, and they sent Benji to kill me. “What in the hell’s wrong with him?” Benji asked, walking in.

“Benji,” I began as I stood up. “I swear, I had no intentions of getting her pregnant, and it may not even be mine.” I said, as I walked towards him, and he froze as Brian shut the door.

“What?” Benji asked, softening up some, it seemed.

“D-don’t you know?” Brian asked, coming around to stand by me.

“About?” Benji asked and looked at me.

“Uh…S-Saylee’s pregnant.” I whispered, my voice not wanting to cooperate.

“By you?”

“Well, uh…actually um…”

“It could be Matt’s. We don’t know.” Brian said as it seemed obvious that I couldn’t.

“Where is she now?” He asked and I sighed, because it seemed he wasn’t too upset.

“She went with Matt to go get some of her things from her house, because her and Matt are going to stay here until the baby’s due, so we can keep an eye on her and they won’t be in that ghetto apartment.” Brian said and Benji sighed, sounding almost pained by what Brian had said.

“What’s wrong?” I asked and he hesitated for a second.

“Her parents left for Alabama today. They thought she would just be better off if they just got out of her life.”

“They thought right-” I elbowed Brian in the ribs, cutting off his satisfied voice as a whimper escaped his lips at the contact.

“Yea, yea, I know, they were overprotective and pushy but…they don’t know about this.” He said and I nodded, understanding. Her parents just left the state, not even knowing that their daughter was pregnant. But it could be better off this way, because I could only imagine what they’d say and try to do.

“Well, Saylee and Matt should be back any minute, so why don’t you sit down and we can talk until they get here.” I suggested, and Benji nodded.

“I guess it couldn’t hurt.” He said and I went over and sat down where I was and Benji sat down on the other couch as Brian sat down next to me. Everything was silent for a second before Brian spoke.

“So,” Brian took a deep breath. “Shot anyone lately?” Oh lord…

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
We had gone by Matt’s apartment and he had gotten a few things in a duffel bag, and now we were headed home, a comfortable silence in the car, and Sixx Sense on a low volume coming from the radio. Nikki Sixx was talking about an LA Times article on Jack White.

“So,” I began, turning it down some as I glanced over at Matt. “How are you taking this?” I asked him, curious since he hadn’t said much about the pregnancy.

“About you and the kid?” He asked and I nodded.

“You haven’t said too much about it since we left Brian’s.” I said quietly.

“Well, I mean…I’m trying not to get too excited about it, because you know, there’s…there’s a chance that it’s Zacky’s, so…” he trailed off and I nodded once more, understanding.

“But there’s an equal chance that it’s yours.” I said, looking over at him, and he smiled slightly.

“I’m just hoping it is.” He smiled at me, and I reached over and took his hand from the console, twining his fingers with mine and his smile grew.

“I love you, Matt.” I whispered and he brought my hand up to his lips, kissing the top of it softly.

“I love you too, Say.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Benji’s POV*^
I sat and talked to Brian and Zacky for a good fifteen minutes, and they were actually really decent guys. Brian had finally corrected me after the first four times I had called him by about four different names that started with ‘B’ and I thought he was going to shit himself. He didn’t like confronting me about it, and was stuttering so bad that Zacky had to tell me what he said. All in all, I was glad that Saylee was going to be staying here with Matthew and those two because they seemed like they’d take care of her. And soon, sure enough, Matt and Saylee finally walked in, and Matt just smiled slightly as he saw me, and Saylee looked kind of nervous.

“Don’t worry, he’s not here to kidnap you.” Brand Brian said, and I smiled a little wider as I walked forward and hugged Saylee, and she hugged me back.

“Sorry ‘bout your folks moving back down to the boondocks.” I told her and she just laughed slightly.

“Don’t mention it, they need to get back to their roots, anyways.” She just smiled as we pulled away.

“And, I heard that I was going to be an uncle.” I grinned, the thought just enough to make me grin like an idiot.

“But-”

“You don’t know who the father is, I already know, Brand and Zacky told me.” I said, calling Brian by the wrong name just to hear him correct me again.

“Uh i-it-it’s Br-Brian.” He said, raising his hand slightly.

“I like Brand better.” I turned and smiled at him and he nodded quickly.

“I’m good with that.” He said quickly, and Zacky just laughed.

“I’ve already been here for a while, and I’ve got to get down to the shop to help Larry with some fly orders.” I said, and Saylee nodded, understanding me and my fishing. She knew that fishing was my life.

“Sorry we missed you.” Matt said, and I shook my head.

“It’s fine, I just came by because her parents wanted me to.” Saylee gave me a look. “And I guess I was a little worried.” I admitted and she nodded.

“Well, everything’s going uphill for once, so there’s nothing to worry about.” She said and I smiled and ruffled her hair.

“You’re growing up too fast on me.” I said thoughtfully, my hand resting on her head. She wasn’t the tallest person.

“I’ll always be your niece.” She smiled and I took a deep breath, clearing my throat before I got all sappy. Crying just made my skin crawl.

“Well, I’ve got to get going.” I said quickly, and as I began walking to the door I stopped in front of Matt. “You better take care of her or you’ll be in the ER getting buckshot picked out of your ass cheeks.” I threatened, and then turned to Zacky and Brian. “That goes for you guys too.” I said sternly and they just stared as I then turned to Matt with a smile, patted him on the arm, and then opened the door and walked out. I made my way over to Old Red and got in, shutting the door before I went to pull out, but first let my eyes linger on the door of Brian’s house. It seemed like just yesterday I was in the ER, with her father telling me that there was no need for me to be there. I half wondered if she’d ever find out. But back then, DNA tests weren’t always accurate. Saylee and I connected the way we did for a good reason, and I was protective over her for a good reason as well. But back then, I couldn’t take care of myself, much less a kid. I was a drunk, I lived with a friend from school that was a druggie, and my life had fallen apart, really. But she came into my life then, she came into my world and lit it up, but I knew I couldn’t give her the life she needed, so I didn’t even show Sheldon or Belinda the DNA test, I just kept it to myself. I told them this morning though, when Belinda called me and told me they were going back to Alabama. That only made her want to leave even more, because that night seventeen years ago between us was one that she tried so hard to forget. I had always been closer to Saylee than her parents because she was my daughter. I’d tell her one day, but I didn’t want to add anything to the mix just yet. I had to wait, but she was already growing up so fast… She had a kid on the way, she was just a little taller, and she had a guy who loved her more than anything in the world, and friends that would protect her. But no matter how old she got, one thing was true, and always would be true, no matter what.

She would always be my little girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

party poison;
AmyLynn_18
MoMo_92
amodernmyth88
party poison;

xoxo, Saleigh