Sequel: For Better or Worse
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

For the Best

I Don't Care

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
I sat on the couch with Matt and talked with him forever. Benji went back and forth from the kitchen to the front door, bringing in Plexiglas for something. Though, there was a back door right next to the kitchen, so I guess he only went through the front door to keep an eye on Matt and I. After a while of him going back and forth, whenever he would come in, Matt would suddenly change the subject to sex, causing Benji to nearly stop a few times.

“I had fun.” Matt said as we walked out of the house. He had to get back to the hospital, which made me a little sad.

“Me too, I hope we didn’t scar Benj too bad.” I said, giggles seeping through my words. He opened the driver’s side door to his SUV.

“Hopefully not.” He sighed. “Do you mind if I drop back by this afternoon?” Matt asked and I smiled.

“I’d love that.” I said, and he nodded. Before he said anything else, he leaned forward and kissed me, letting his lips linger on mine, after a few seconds, I felt his arms wrapping around me and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Woah, hold up there.” Suddenly a giant piece of Plexiglas was shoved between us, separating our lips and bodies. “Okay, Matthew, first off, you two need to be safe, second, if either of you need condoms I-”

“BENJI! Can’t you be normal for just two seconds!?” I asked, trying my hardest not to laugh.

“I just want you two to be careful.” Benji lowered the glass.

“Don’t worry Benj, Matt’s not going to try and rape me or anything.” Sadly. …Shit, no that wasn’t right.

“That you know of.” Matt grinned and Benji lifted the Plexiglas over his head, an indescribable look in his eyes.

“Boy you even think of it and I’ll knock you into next week.” Benji threatened and I looked at Matt as he got a frightened look in his eyes.

“Y-yes sir.” Matt said and got in his car, he rolled down the window and smiled at me, still eyeing Benji.

“I’ll be back later.” He said and I nodded. We said quick goodbyes and he drove out, down the dirt road.

“I like him, he’s a fine young man, good manners, good kid.” Benji said, slinging his arm over my shoulder.

“Oh sure, you threaten to knock him into next week, then two seconds later you think he’s a fine young man.” I said shaking my head with a smile. “And why do you care about manners? You wipe your mouth on your shirt, and fart whenever. And, why do you care who I go out with?”

“Well, I’d rather you be with a guy that’s covered in tattoos and nine years older, but is nice and treats you like a princess then you be going out with some asshole who tries to be a perfectionist and treats you like dirt on the bottom of his shoes.” Benji smiled at me. “But I still care about you like a daughter and that requires me to at least make sure he does treat you right no matter what. That’s why.”

“I know, but was it really necessary to make him do a strip tease in the kitchen?”

“It wasn’t a strip tease, I just simply asked him to take his shirt off.” He defended, as we turned and walked back towards the house.

“Sure.” I said sarcastically.

“Hey, you feel like headin’ down to Larry’s with me after I get finished making the fridge see through? He still needs some help tying flies. We didn’t get them all done yesterday.” He said and I nodded, barely fazed by his sudden need to replace the door of the refrigerator with Plexiglas.

“Sure. How many are you two doing?” I asked as we walked inside the house.

“Ten thousand. The shop’s thriving and he keeps getting in custom orders.”

“Do I get paid for helping?” I asked, hoping to maybe make a few extra bucks.

“Nope, it’s called helping out a friend, hon.” Benji patted me on the back and I groaned before heading upstairs to grab my coat. His truck doesn’t have heat. I’ve tried to get him to get it fixed, but he refuses for some reason. Though, the smell of fish and heat doesn’t mix too well.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
That afternoon I got off work, and headed back to Saylee’s Uncle’s house as fast as possible. I was glad that we both finally confessed to liking each other. After two whole years of just small talk in the hallway, and the occasional time I’d have to drive her home, we were both completely oblivious to our feelings. It was nice to know that she didn’t think of me as some creep for liking her. I felt bad about making her runaway, even though she told me not to. But, at least her uncle is okay with us. I mean, he seems like an alright guy. Besides the whole, making me take my shirt off and slipping Plexiglas between mine and Saylee’s lips, and the whole threatening to knock me into next week thing. …Okay, so he’s a little crazy, but he’s been living out in the middle of nowhere, that would drive anyone crazy. I pulled up to Benji’s house and got out. I jogged up to the porch, and to the door. I knocked on the screen door, and Benji appeared not three seconds later.

“Well, look who came back.” He said, opening the door. “Come on in.” He said and I stepped in, and he shut the door behind me.

“Is Saylee here?” I asked and he nodded.

“We went down to the creek to try out some flies and she doesn’t like smelling like fish, so she’s upstairs getting a shower. We just got back, so she might be up there a while.” He said, and sat down on the couch, and then patted the spot beside him. I went over and sat down beside him about three feet away. “Come on now, I don’t bite.” He said, and I scooted closer, leaning forward with my elbows on my knees as he leaned back, a silence falling between us.

“Do you uh, go fishing much?” I asked, trying not to let the silence overtake us.

“Pretty good bit.” He answered and I nodded. The awkward silence returned and this time he sensed it. “You go fishing much?” He countered.

“Not too much, I don’t really get a lot of time off besides weekends.” I said and he nodded.

“Too bad.” His words hung in the air. We sat in silence for another two minutes.

“Do you like me, Benji?” I asked him, just trying not to let the air get too thick.

“I think you’re a pretty nice guy. As long as you treat my little girl right then I have no problem with you.” He patted me on the back with a toothy smile.

“Good, I was beginning to think you didn’t approve of me.” I said and he gave me a skeptical look.

“Why’s that?”

“You know, age differences, the smoking, tattoos, and lip ring.” I said and he shrugged.

“I don’t really care for that or about it. As long as you haven’t killed anyone, or are planning on killing or mistreating Saylee then you're okay in my book.” He said and I nodded. “She really likes you, you should come around more.” Before I could answer there was a ding from the kitchen. “Oh, trout’s done, be right back.” Benji got up and walked out of the room.

“Hey Benj, Matt’s gonna be here any minute, and my jeans still smell like that muddy creek, so I need you to hurry and throw my jeans in the wash.” Saylee began as she walked down the stairs, not noticing me. She was only in a t-shirt and panties. She had her head in her phone as she walked down the steps, her jeans thrown over her arm still not looking at me as she stopped in front of me, tossing her jeans at me.

“Uh, Saylee.” I said, trying to not look at her, and her head snapped up and she let out a scream, taking her jeans from me and trying to pull her shirt down to cover herself. “Oh my god, Matt, I had no clue you were here.” She said and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Well, you do now.”

“What happened?!” Benji ran into the room, waving a spatula around like he was going to kill me with it.

“It’s okay, it’s okay, I just walked down the fucking steps in my underwear thinking you were here and Matt wasn’t.” Saylee said, quickly pulling her pants on.

“Oh.” Benji said, slightly disappointed. “I was looking forward to shoving this up his-”

“Okay, I’ll be taking this.” Saylee grabbed the spatula from his hand.

“I’ll be in the kitchen.” Benji grumbled, and walked back into the kitchen. Saylee came over and sat down beside me, laying the spatula on the coffee table.

“Sorry about that.” She said, placing her phone on the table next to the cooking utensil.

“It’s no big deal.” I said, and she sighed.

“I was talking to my mom. She’s moved on from me running away now and went all the way back to me dropping out of school.” She said and I nodded. In a way, I knew where her mom was coming from. But I didn’t see any reason to bring up her dropping out of school now, she stopped months ago, it’s in the past. She does need a good education, but fuck, I’m not her father, I can’t push her into it. Besides, she’s already a smart girl.

“Well, how much longer are you going to hide out here?” I asked, and she shrugged.

“I don’t know, I’m really beginning to question even going back at all. I like it out here, it’s quiet, and besides all of the crazy shit that Benj does, it’s a pretty nice place to live, not to mention rule free. With my parents, they just slap the rules down. Curfew is nine o’clock, no computer on weekdays, no phone calls on weekdays, I’m lucky they just let me go see Shannon. They’re too strict. Here,” She smiled. “Benji doesn’t believe in curfews, or restrictions, and he lets me do whatever I want.”

“I like your uncle Benji.” I said and she nodded.

“He’s a pretty interesting relative.” She leaned back on the couch. “You two have a nice talk while I was in the shower?”

“Yea, he let me know that he doesn’t hate me, so yes, we did have a nice talk. He’s nothing like your dad, he’s like the complete opposite. He’s awesome and laid back about us, and your father would probably rip my head off the second he sees me.” I sighed as I thought of what would happen if her parents ever came across us, or if Saylee ever went back.

“I know, that’s one reason why I don’t want to go back.” She looked down at the couch, and started picking at a loose thread. “If I do go back, we’d have to end this. I couldn’t see you anymore, and my parents would keep me under house arrest and if you ever set foot on our lawn they’d have you thrown in jail.” She looked up at me. “My dad’s a strict guy; I wouldn’t put it past him.”

“It really is fucking horrible that you parents are like that towards me, but I guess I can kind of see where they’re coming from.” I said, and she nodded.

“I know, but do you care?” She asked, and I shook my head.

“I don’t care about what they think.” I whispered, leaning in towards her as she let a smile creep upon her lips. “But I do care about you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

Ben.Bruce
MoMo_92
Star Angel
amodernmyth88

xoxo, Saleigh