Sequel: For Better or Worse
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

For the Best

Sometimes, Friends Hurt You More

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Saylee’s POV*^
I placed my hands on Matt’s chest, pushing him back onto the couch after a minute, and his hands found their way to my hips, pulling me on top of him. I smiled into this kiss, enjoying the feeling of being pressed up next to him. I was beginning to feel love tug at my heart. I was going from liking him, to loving him. His hands molded to my sides, slipping under my shirt and I took one of his hands in mine, lacing our fingers together and pinning them above his head.

“Oh god, guys, what the hell?!” I let out a scream at Benji’s voice, suddenly slicing through my thoughts, and I got off of Matt and Matt quickly sat up. “Not on the couch, please, I really don’t feel like burning anything today.” Benji continued, and I put my head in my hands, feeling my cheeks begin to burn.

“Benji,” I began, and then looked back at him, hoping he would get the hint.

“You want me to leave?” He asked, knowing exactly what was running through my mind.

“Please.” I said, and he sighed.

“Well I want you and Matt to not fuck on my couch, please.” I mentally groaned at his statement, and before I could whine about it, he left the room, retreating back to the kitchen.

“I’m sorry Matt, he’s just like a little kid.” I said, turning back to Matt, and he smiled, shaking his head.

“No, he probably should have interrupted us.” Matt said, and I nodded, knowing what he meant. He then sighed and stood from the couch. “I guess I should get going before Zack starts freaking out.” He said, and I stood up.

“Zack?” I asked, unsure of who he was talking about.

“Yea, my roommate. You need to come over and meet him sometime.” He said, and I nodded.

“Definitely.” I said, and we walked over to the door.

“What if you come over Saturday afternoon? Zacky will be home, and we can hang out for a while.” Matt propositioned and I smiled.

“Sounds good.” I said and he nodded, opening the door.

“You’ll be coming around to see Shannon sometime tomorrow, right?” He asked and I nodded, what else would I do.

“Eight AM.” I said, and he turned to me before walking out, and kissed me, it was short lived though, because Benji reemerged from the kitchen and came over to us.

“Hey, Matt, can I borrow my lovely daughter for a moment?” Benji said, and we both pulled away and Matt nodded.

“Sure thing, Benj.” Matt smiled. “I’ll give you my address tomorrow.” Matt said, and I nodded, saying a quick goodbye before he walked on out the door.

“Why do you need his address?’ Benji asked, shutting the screen door, then the storm door.

“I’m going over to his place Saturday instead of him coming here. At least there we won’t get interrupted by my child-like uncle.” I said, and he pointed a joking finger at me.

“Hey, it is not my fault I like to keep my couch sex-free.” I just shook my head at him. “Now, I need your help in the kitchen. Damn trout keeps sticking to the pan.” He said, and I followed him into the kitchen.

“Ever heard of non-stick cooking spray?”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
“I have to admit, Benj, you are actually a pretty good cook when you don’t burn the food.” I said, and dumped my empty plate in the sink, and so did Benji. “Need any help washing dishes?” I asked, turning towards him as I leaned back against the counter.

“No thanks sweetie, I’ll get to it.” He answered and I nodded.

“Alright, if you need me I’ll be upstairs.” I said, but before I could walk out of the kitchen Benji stopped me.

“No you aren’t now, I have something I need to talk to you about.” He got serious, and I turned around, looking at him skeptically.

“What?” I asked and he pulled a chair out, and motioned for me to sit down. I walked over and sat down, then he walked over to his chair and sat down across from me. “Is something wrong?” I asked, slightly concerned.

“No, nothing’s wrong, but we need to talk about your mom and dad.” I held back a groan that was dying to scape my lips. I didn’t want to face this problem, but I should have known Benj would bring it up some time or another.

“I don’t want to go back and risk never being able to see Matt again.” I said and he nodded.

“I know, I know, but you can’t just leave them cold turkey.” He paused. “You dad called today while you were gone to the hospital.” I took a deep breath at his words, hoping he didn’t tell them I was here.

“You didn’t tell him I was here, did you?” I asked, my voice growing quiet.

“No,” He sighed. “Because I knew they’d be up here and on my ass for ‘kidnapping’ you and they’ll never let me near you again. You know how they are.” He said, and I nodded. They would most likely accuse him of kidnapping me. They wouldn’t want to face the reality that their sweet little Saylee run away. That’s another one of my problems with them. “But you need to let them know you’re okay. I don’t care if you don’t go home, hell I love having you around, but, they’re worrying to death over you.” He said, and reached across the table, grabbing my hand in his. “Now Say, you’re like the daughter I never had, but at some point in time, I don’t care when it is, you have to go back home. Even if it’s just for a five minute visit.” He said, looking me in the eyes, and I nodded. “Your parents aren’t bad people, so you can’t treat them like they are, they’re just…protective.” He said, and I sighed again.

“I guess I have to at least give them that.” I said, and he smiled.

“That’s my girl.” He scooted away from the table and stood up, and I got up and he hugged me. “You gotta call them or go over there sometime.” He whispered, patting my back, and I nodded as we both pulled away.

“I will tomorrow. Can you drive me over there?” I asked and he nodded with a smile.

“Gladly!” He answered happily. “Now, can I take you up on that offer to wash dishes?” He asked hopefully, and I rolled my eyes.

“Apparently so.” I said, and then looked over at all of the dishes piled in the sink. “You wash, and I’ll dry and put them up.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
First, Benji took me by the hospital, and I told him to wait outside as I went in. I had a feeling that Shannon wouldn’t want to see me yet again. I didn’t know exactly what was wrong with her lately, but in a way I had figured it was just best to give her a little space. I walked through the hospital to the hallway where Matt was stationed at the end. As I shut the door back he stood up and met me halfway down the hall.

“Hello beautiful.” He greeted with a smirk, wrapping his arms around my waist, and kissing my cheek lightly.

“Somehow I feel like I need to apologize once more for my cock blocking uncle.” I said, earning a laugh from him.

“That’s one thing he does know how to do.” Matt said, and I nodded.

“So, how are Jimmy and Shannon doing today?” I asked and his expression dropped.

“Jimmy’s fine, just bored as hell, like usual, but Shannon won’t really let anyone in her room.” I frowned slightly at this news. “Jake came by yesterday, and it didn’t go well at all.” I sighed, already know what he was about to say.

“She attacked him, right?” I asked, and he nodded.

“Nate said she bit a pretty big chunk out of his neck. If she hadn’t have been in that straightjacket she probably would have killed him.” I cringed. “I’m…I’m actually kind of scared to let you go in there.” Matt admitted quietly. I looked over at the door, and thought about just leaving, but I couldn’t bring myself to.

“Let me in, if she doesn’t want to see me I’ll be back in a minute.” I said, and Matt hesitantly nodded.

“Alright.” He said, and took a key from the ring on his belt loop and flipped through a few, trying a couple until he found the right one and opened the door. “Be careful, it seems that in these past couple of days something has snapped in her.” I could tell Matt didn’t want to say that, but I could see exactly why he did. I slowly walked in, and spotted Shannon laying over on her bed. As she saw me she stood up, tears pouring from her eyes as she backed up to the wall. I took a step towards her and she shook her head, tears still falling rapidly.

“S-Saylee, don’t get near me.” She whispered, and I looked at her curiously.

“Shannon, you aren’t going to hurt me.” I reassured her, taking a few steps closer to her as she slid down the wall, but as soon as she hit the floor she shot up from it, and her lips curved into a sickly grin.

“I, won’t hurt you, dear, just…come a little close-” Shannon’s voice got deep, a glare taking over her eyes before she cut herself off. “No!” She screamed, the old Shannon returning for a moment. “Just leave, now, before you get hurt!” Shannon screamed, but I was determined. That was always one thing about me that I hated; my determination to do anything, even if it kills me. I was going to comfort Shannon, and let her know she was going to be okay, and that she couldn’t let the voices get the best of her. Something’s changing about the voices, though. They’re taking on minds of their own. She’s letting them win. It’s almost like she just giving up.

“Shannon, you have to fight, and you know that. You’re stronger than them.” I insisted, taking a few steps closer to her, and even farther away from the door. She shook her head.

“I can’t…I can’t keep going on like this.” She whispered. “They’re all just too much.” She muttered.

“Yes you can keep going on like this, you can beat them.” I said, and she slid back down into the floor.

“Shut up!” She screamed, squeezing her eyes shut. “I won’t do it.” She then muttered, and I took half a step back, but then she looked up at me with fear and hate in her eyes. “Run!” She yelled, and I knew what this meant; someone was getting angry. I took off towards the door, but just as I got a few inches away I felt her grab my ankle and pull me back.

“MATT!” I screamed desperately as I felt to the ground, and turned over onto my back, trying to kick her off of me.

“Oh shut up bitch!” I heard one of Shannon’s voices yell, and I kicked at her as she pulled me up by my shoulders, and pinned me to the wall, lifting me off of the ground with ease.

“MATT! HELP!” I yelled, and I heard the door jingle as he tried to get in.

“I CAN’T FIND THE KEY! HOLD ON!” Matt yelled back and I looked back at Shannon as she stared at me, a lunatic grin on her face, and a hateful, and controlling look in her eyes. The doorknob kept jingling as Matt fumbled with the keys.

“Get off of me!” I screamed, and she blinked, and came back. She let me go and I fell to the floor, breathing deeply. My ankle was sore as hell, and my bad shoulder was aching so badly I could barely raise my arm.

“Oh my god, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Saylee.” She said, and kneeled down to me, and as she placed a gentle hand on my arm I flinched. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to be here anymore.

“It-it’s okay.” I whispered. “I-I think I need to go.” I said, and stood up just as the door opened and Matt stepped in.

“Is everything okay?” Matt asked and I nodded.

“F-fine.” I muttered, shaken by the incident. I looked up at him, fighting tears at what my best friend had become. Matt placed a gentle hand on my cheek, concern in his eyes.

“Are you alright?” He asked, and I shook my head. I took a step out of the door.

“You can’t leave yet!” I heard a voice scream at me, and just as I turned back I felt Shannon grab onto my arm, her nails sinking into the skin. I felt blood already rushing from my arm.

“Shannon, no!” Matt yelled, and tried to pry her off of me, but she wouldn’t let go as she continued rambling about something I couldn’t decipher at the moment. Her free hand grabbed my ankle, sending me falling backwards. I tried to get away, and Matt continued to try and pry her hand off of my arm.

“I can’t stop it anymore, Say. I can’t.” Shannon returned for a second, but I kept trying to pull my arm out of her grasp, but she wouldn’t let go.

“Yes you can!” I screamed at the top of my lungs as I heard guards rushing down the hall. I couldn’t take the pain that was surging from my arm, and the blood that was pooling. I pulled my arm, roughly, just trying to get out of her grasp, and heard my shoulder pop, and I let out a cry at the pain. Matt finally began pulling at Shannon with more force, seeming to not care if he hurt her; he just had to save me. I felt the skin on my arm rip as her nails dragged down my arm, splitting it open in five different places. I had to grab onto the doorway to keep from being pulled back into the room as her nails sliced my arm, and finally Matt slung her away, and she flew into the wall that was not too far away, and guards rushed in, over me and to Shannon, quickly sedating her. Matt kneeled by me as I scrambled into the hallway, back against the far wall. I couldn’t stop the sobs as they ripped through my lips, tearing through me at the physical pain from my shoulder and ankle, and the mental pain from the conclusion that Shannon was
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

Ben.Bruce
NME_foREVer_6661
Star Angel
amodernmyth88

Here are some A7X drawings I did over the weekend:

A7X

foREVer

The Rev

xoxo, Saleigh