Status: Let's see where this story take me...

Listen

Chapter II

I haven't told anyone about who I bumped into at the hospital 2 days ago. I don't have to, right? It's been 2 days since I met him, anyway. Maybe he's getting better already and he's home by now. Who knows?

I can't stop guessing what's happening to him. Not that I care, but I.. Sometimes I dislike him, to dead, just because he doesn't seems to need me again. Because he's popular now, because he's a part of the 'it' crowd in my school, because he's a smart guy who had a lot of humanity project out there, and I am just me. A bookworm who always stay on the corner while everyone keep on trying to be on the center of the attention.

No matter how 'dashing' he is on everyone's eyes, in my eyes, he's still Callum Johnson. He's the nice guy who I bumped into in the first day of school, the tall guy with a camera and headphones, the funny and witty guy who used to be my friend.

I rubbed my eyes and sighed. Callum, what happened to the old you?

It was the last question that had been in my mind until I heard a familiar voice, cleared his throat next to me. Just because I didn't pay any attention who was standing next to me.

"Phoebe Allen, it's 12 o'clock in the afternoon. Did I just witnessed you daydreaming?" Joel asked me and leaned to the locker next to me. I showed my half-smile at him "You caught me." I said to him as I opened my locker and shoved my stuff from my backpack into my locker.

"You're leaving early?" he asked me and I shrugged, "I've finished my credit on Literature Class, so.. I guess I'll just leave. There’s nothing much I can do anymore, for now." I answered.

He got this disappointed expression on his face as I said those thing for a second before his face lit up again, "Hey! You know what? What if we go to the cinema or something?" he asked me.

Eh? "And you'll bail on your class?" I asked him, chuckled. "Well that's not a big deal. I mean, I.. It's tolerable, I never dissed before. For just this one time, please?" he asked me again. Or begged to me.

"It is a big deal, Joel. And I'm not going home, anyway. I need to go somewhere else." I said to him, nudged his shoulder and left. "Somewhere else? Where, actually?" he asked me again. To be honest? I don't have any idea. Just let’s see where this legs would take me.

---------

I gritted my teeth as I queued behind an old lady with her daughter. Tell me once again, dear Lord, why am I here right now?

"Hello? Miss? Can I help you?" the nurse asked, breaking my thought. "Oh, sorry. Uhm.. Can you tell me which room is occupied by Callum Johnson?" I asked the nurse. She widened her eyes, in a good way, and grinned.

"Oh.. Mr. Johnson?" she said in a loud voice, loud enough to be heard by her fellow nurses and almost everyone in the lobby. I looked at her and nodded a few times, "Uh, yeah. Him." I anwered with a nervous laugh.

"He's in room 437, sweetheart." the nurse said and I thanked her after that. I left the concierge with all the nurses’ eyes on me. This is weird.

I keep my eyes on the numbers that written on the doors I passed, counting down to 437. As I counted down, a few things appeared on my mind. Like, what if his friends, his famous friends are there, in his room? What if he talked to me just because I was standing in front of him yesterday? What if he’s not here anymore?

I stopped in front of a white door with a large 437 written on it. I peeked from the large window next to the door, just to find him laid back on his bed while watching Wipeout on the TV.

Oh, okay.. Apparently my first and third assumption is wrong. I knocked at the door a few times and open the door. “Callum? Hey, it’s me, Phoebe.” I said as I entered the room to find him covered his face now.

Uhm.. Is it a sign that assumption #2 is right?

“Callum?” I called his name again and he’s still covering his face and sighed heavily. Okay. I should’ve known that he wouldn’t be that nice after what’s we’ve been through this year. But one thing’s for sure, I feel very stupid.

Why’d I have to believe him when he said that I have to feel free to come? Why’d I bluntly came here, anyway? What an idiot. Way to go to make a fool of yourself, Phoebe Allen.

I turned around to the door until I heard Callum’s voice, “Phoebe, is that you?” I froze and turned to him again, a forced smile on my face.

“Can I…?” I said as he cut me off before I haven’t even finished it, “You could sit down.” He said and pointed to a seat next to his bed and smiled.

He smiled and raked his hair, “I thought you’re not gonna show up in this hour.” He said and looked at me. I smiled, not wanted to talk about how I knocked, twice, and called for his name before I’m planning on leaving this room. Of course the way he changed his mind haunted me.

“Yeah I got some free time on the last period, since I finished the credit for my Literature class.” I answered him, “I thought your friends will come here.” I said again. He looked at me and smiled weakly, “No one knows I’m here.” He said.

“Really?” I asked in a surprised tone, but since I was plain emotionless, it sounded just like I asked him a normal question. He nodded a few times, “I think you’re the only person who actually knows that I’m here.” He said and staring down on his legs. Which weren’t bandaged.

“How’s your legs?” I asked him, trying to build some conversation between us. He nodded, “It’s fine. But it’ll takes more times to normally walk again.” He answered. I nodded at him, “But you feel better day by days, right?” he shrugged, “Yeah, but not really. I don’t really feel it but.. yes.” He answered again lightly.

I smiled at him, “Nah, don’t worry. You’ll recover soon. Baby steps to fully healed, right?” I said and he chuckled, “Exactly.”

"So.. This is how you spent your days? Alone?" I asked him as he nodded, "Yeah, pretty much." "Where's your parents?" I asked him again, "I.. I am just wondering. If I ask too much you could tell me to shut the hell up or anything." I said again and he chuckled.

"Naah, it's okay. I'm glad to have someone to talked to, finally." he grinned, "They're working. They'll be here at night, usually. Checking me out, asking if I feel better by days." he said.

"I.." I trailed off. "Hm?" he hummed. I smiled a little and shook my head, "Nah." I said. He chuckled, "It's okay, shower me with your questions." he said to me. I bit my lips, "Okay. Be ready." I warned and he chuckled.

"How long you've been hospitalized?" I asked, "Weeks." he answered. "Where's your friends, I mean, your famous friends?" I asked as he narrowed his eyes without erasing his smile from his face, "I don't know, making scandals?"

"Why'd none of your famous friends come here to see you?" I asked him again, "Because they aren't my friend and I don't want to be pitied by anyone." he answered lightly.

I smiled at his last answer, "If you didn't wish to be pitied. Why'd you let me come to see you?" I asked him again and he chuckled, "Because I know you won't pitied me, and I liked to talk to you." he anwered.

"I'm done." I said and he smiled, "Really? You're done asking?" he said as he nodded his head. It is weird, when he asked me to shower him with questions, I'll showers him. Literally.

I couldn't lie that deep inside, I was curious as hell about what happened to him. But seeing the look on his face, I just can't. He looked estatic, he needs to be accompanied. I can't just ask him about what's happened. Not now.

"Nah. I'm running out of questions." I said. "Hm. Harvard won't take you as a student, I bet. If you're still using 'I'm running out of questions' as a reason." he said again as I rolled my eyes. One thing that he can't change, that smart-ass attitude.

"Can I ask you some questions now?" he said and I narrowed my eyes. Huh? "3 questions." I said as he raised one of his eyebrows, "What?" he said in a total shock tone.

"That's one." I said and he rolled his eyes, "You're such a defensive person. Always." he said and I smiled. "Can we watch Kidnapped together?" he asked me. I looked at my watch, "Of course. And can I go home after that?" I asked him back and he nodded.

===================

I saw the credit rolled and yawned. This episode was kinda boring, but it's still Kidnapped, anyway. One of my favourite TV show. I looked at my watch and dropped my jaw. Shiz, 3.20 p.m? I need to go back home before Riordan.

I shook Callum's shoulder as I look at my watch, "Gees. Hey Callum, I..." I stopped shaking his shoulder as I saw him fell asleep. I stood up and leaned to him, "I'm going home. Bye, Cal." I whispered and left.

Before I even left his side, I could feel someone grabbed my wrist. "Phoebe.." he called my name and I turned my head to him, "Yes?" I replied.

"If I asked you to come tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day after that..." he said. I opened my mouth, I was going to say that I will come, before he continued his sentences, "And the days for the next months, and not to tell anybody about me being here, will you?" he said, finishing his sentence.

I smiled and nodded at him, "I'll do my best." I said. "Okay." he nodded back at me. "Go back to sleep, okay. Take a good care of yourself while I'm gone." I said to him as he let go of my hand. "Will do, don't worry." he replied.

"Bye, Cal." I said as I opened the door. As I closed the door, I could hear his voice "Bye, Phoebs."
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for not updating this for a long long time. College is life is ultra hectic, lots of activities for freshmen and annoying lecturers :"( Am really sorry.