Status: slowly updating

Hamartia

why do they leave?

I didn't exactly know how bridal showers work so I was pretty much incognizant as soon as I arrived in the lavish venue. At first look, it would be easily mistaken as a scene from a Disney fairytale because everything captured the element of innocence and royalty perfectly. There were light bulbs hanging overhead and columns that were wrapped around in vines and everything you imagined your wedding would be-- because this looked more like a wedding ceremony rather than what was stated in their invitation.

Then it hit me: this was no place for a rock band.

Again, I have fooled myself into thinking that Abby would stick into an informal ceremony but I overlooked the fact that her husband was a wealthy man and was capable of giving her the best anytime. Thinking about this made me bubble up with jealousy.

Still infuriated by how monumentally idiotic and reckless I was for inviting the band, I considered weighing my options. Talking to Abby about a band making an appearance during her bridal shower didn't strike me as fascinating in any way but telling the guys that the venue was not fit for their presence would make me want to dig myself a whole and bury my shameful existence in there.

I imagined breaking the news to the band but my mind drifted to Garrett instead because the elation that was reflected in his eyes were too blinding when I asked him about playing here. He seemed uneasy at first but still said yes and instantaneously told the boys about it. I was pretty much doubtless that the element of surprise would make the ceremony better but little did I know that my idea was already far from being good in the first place.

I decided to ring Abby and she picked up on the fourth ring. She must have been busy and I felt bad for having to disturb her but I was about to tear my hair out here.

“Well if it isn't my dearest sister who had just resolved to making use of her phone.”

That was untrue but I decided to let it slide. For now.

“Abby, are you into bands?”

“I like bands.” She stated with a hint of suspicion in her voice.

“What do you think of having a band play at your bridal shower?”

I could tell she was thinking it over by the sudden silence on the line and I fervently hoped she would be okay with it. There was a moment of silence that greatly agitated me to the point that I was about to completely lose all my hope for this to work out.

“If the band will be The Maine, then it's out of the question.”

To say that I was flabbergasted would be an understatement. I stumbled with the thoughts that were running through my head but I finally managed to ask her how she knew about them. She laughed on the other line and was probably shaking her head at the absurdity of her own sister.

“You must have dropped the ticket on the stairs and I saw it and did my research on the band. I already bought all of their albums from iTunes, by the way.”

I was still overwhelmed by how this was turning out when she spoke again: “But you had your ticket signed so I pity myself.”

This baffled me. I found a bench to sit on and said, “Who signed it?”

“I can't believe you, really. You let Garrett sign your ticket and forget about it after just two days? You're unbelievable.”

Then it all made sense: the way that man looked at me approvingly and told me about Garrett's falling too hard, and why I was easily given access to their dressing room. I've got to give mad props for Garrett for being clever enough to do that, although I wasn't quite sure if it was all intentional.

“Wait... you're not bringing them over, are you?” The excitement in her voice was unmistakable.

I laughed. “Actually...”

“Oh my God! Robin, how... Oh my fucking God--”

“It was supposed to be a surprise!” I exclaimed, still regaled by how much she sounded like a hormonal fan. “What would the future groom say about this though?”

There was smugness in her voice as she replied: “He loves me so he just has to deal with it.”

“Um, by the way,” I started uneasily. “Ben has been pretty persistent on showing up later. Maybe you could...” I sighed and if I could, I would pat myself on the back and tell myself that it would be okay without feeling moronic.

“I've got it covered, don't worry.” Abby asseverated, lifting another block of worry off my shoulders.

“You're fucking unbelievable, Robin Flynn.”

John was nursing a red cup, as well as the rest of the band, and was still in denial that they had just basically rocked the crowd-- who was probably expecting a group of violinists to add up to the fairytale-like scene.

Pat went completely pale upon their arrival, an occurrence which Jared liked to refer to as pre-show jitters. But Pat wasn't buying it. He whined on how ridiculous everything was and how he would rather sleep next to John for a month, which I reckon was terrifying because Pat seemed to be extremely mortified.

“You're such a bunch of dickheads. This is way better than having to play during Katie's engagement party.” Kennedy had said, making them all shut up. I didn't know what part of the statement made them do so-- you're such a bunch of dickheads or Katie's engagement party.

What oddly intrigued me, though, was the way Garrett reacted to the latter. His face fell and his mood turned into a complete 360. Before I could stop myself from saying anything stupid, I had asked: “Who is Katie?”

The tension came abruptly and it was frightening. They were all looking at Garrett sympathetically, especially Kennedy.

“She was my ex-girlfriend and she invited us to play during her engagement party.” Garrett said with an edge in his voice. “Two weeks after we broke up.”

“Sorry.” I mumbled incoherently before looking up at him. His expression depicted longing and pain and everything in between. I wanted to reach out and hug him so badly but I knew better than to embarrass myself even more.

During their performance, my sister didn't even try to hide how much she was rooting John. But despite her obvious show of admiration, Nick, her fiance, didn't even show a hint of jealousy. Instead, he cheered her on. It was cute, really.

“Get over it, John.” I almost laughed at his incredulity. “You did great.”

I glanced outside where the day was giving way to the night and also where Garrett was being openly unsociable. Without excusing myself from John-- because he was too busy pouring himself another drink and grumbling profanities-- I went up to Garrett.

The guests were long gone and the whole place looked so serene and romantic, almost unbearable to look at, considering that the last guy I trusted my heart with decided to fuck me up. Thankfully, he didn't show up today and also stopped sending me pathetic text messages that irked me cosmically.

The light bulbs that were hanging above our heads added up to the feel and I thought about how nice it would have been to actually have someone special to share this night with.

I sighed, standing behind Garrett who was so deep in thought that breaking his placid disposition would be regarded as injustice. But partially causing his remorse was injustice enough and I didn't mind doing more than one injustice in one night.

“Sorry.”

He looked alarm seeing me there, already beside him and leaning against one of the gazebo's column.

He had both of his hands inside his front pockets and the way he looked in his denim jacket and dorky glasses was enough to make me stare long enough to be considered creepy.

He laughed lightly. “And here I thought you were really going to apologize.”

“I was.” I defended. “I mean, I am.” I corrected myself.

“No, you were checking me out.” He flashed me a smirk and I felt blood rush to my cheeks. “But it's okay because I really understand. I mean--”

“Your ego needs some deflating.”

We both laughed and were thrown off into silence-- one that wasn't uncomfortable. It was nice.

A cold wind blew in our direction and I shivered.

This was like the part of cliché movies wherein the guy will the girl, “Are you cold?” and the girl would just shiver some more, then the guy proceeds to take off his jacket and wraps it around the girl's shoulder. Every teenage girl's dream.

But Garrett didn't do this. Instead, he gently cupped my hand and put it inside the pocket of his denim jacket. I stared at him, awe-struck and completely frazzled beyond words. He was still staring ahead when I felt his hand, the one cupping mine, intertwine our fingers together.

I was near tears and I didn't know why.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments
would
be
really
nice
you
know