‹ Prequel: Kids in Love

Growing Up

03

“Hey Ry can I draw you?”

He tore his attention away from the passing scenery. He focused on Tori, she flipped to a new page on her sketch pad, as Brendon climbed into the front passenger seat to hang out with Ian.

“If you want,” he then turned to Claudia, “I uh started writing a song I have the music written but

I don’t have much of the lyrics written.”

“Can I hear it? I loved the other one what was it called again? Defiant?”

“Defiance, and I don’t know if I-“

Claudia cut him off, “just play, you don’t have to sing either.”

He looked down at his guitar and began to play the song he’d been working on. Ian turned the radio off. The bus was silent except for his strumming. He felt uncomfortable with everyone listening, especially Ian; Ian was the best musicians Ryan had ever met. He tried not to think about everyone listening to his song, he focused on playing the music right. Finally he got to the part where he knew which lyrics he wanted to assign to this specific part of music.

“Don’t you know, don’t you know that those watermelon smiles just can’t ripen underwater oh just can’t ripen under water. The men all played along to marching drums and boy did they have fun behind the sea they said so our matching legs are marching clogs, and we’re all too small to talk to god and we’re all too smart to talk to god, oh we’re all too smart to talk to god. Waves of wooden legs, waves of wooden legs, waves of wooden legs. . .”

He stopped playing and looked up at the back of Ian’s head.

“You wrote that?”

“Yeah I-”

“Yeah Ryan is great at writing music he helps out with my stuff all the time,” Brendon announced before taking a picture of Ryan, Tori, and Claudia.

“It was good, why didn’t you sing all of the words?”

“It’s not finished yet.”

Ian gave a small nod and that was that. Ryan smiled and watched Tori absorbed in her drawing. He started playing a Motion City Soundtrack’s “Better Open the Door.”

“Ian will you sing to me?” Claudia asked.

Ian sang along to Ryan’s playing. Brendon soon joined in on the song.

Claudia looked over at Ryan and smiled at how cheerful he looked, she was glad because earlier in the trip he seemed bummed out. She climbed over the seat and sat next to Tori. She watched as Tori finished the sketch of Ryan.

“It looks so real”

Tori looked away from her sketch pad and beamed, “thanks. I still need to add some shading, but I think I’d going to do one of Ian next, his hair is a challenge but it also seems really fun.”

Claudia nodded, and checked her phone it was already five. The guys were bound to stop and drive around looking for somewhere to eat. Sure enough Brendon started to complain about being hungry. Ian got off on the next exit and they spend a good twenty minutes driving around looking for someplace to eat. Finally they settled on Mexican food, and pulled into the parking lot of Don Pepe’s
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry the update is short.