‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Snap

"So?" my dad pushed, "Why did you hit the wall?"

He brushed a cotton swab of alcohol across my bloody knuckles, causing me to wince. I couldn't answer with the truth, "I was mad about the game today." I said through clenched teeth.

"Oh." He said, "Games aren't that important, you know."

My dad didn't really care about my games. If it had been Wolfie who had busted the wall about breaking a string on his guitar, my dad would let him vent all he wanted. I didn't like to compare my relationship with my dad to Wolfie's, but it was clear that my dad favored Wolfie and Dani more than me.

I don't know why.

"There," My dad placed a bandage on my gash, "Knock that shit off, Joey. It's not cool to bust holes in the wall."

"Sorry." I murmured as I jumped off the counter.

I heard my dad sigh as I left the bathroom. I was almost to my room when my dad cleared his throat, "What's with you and Wolfie's attitude?"

"Must've got it from mom." I spat lowly.

"Joey, get back over here!" He snapped at me. I turned slowly, facing him, "What the hell is going on?"

"I don't know." I told him, "I have no clue what's going on."

He gestured for me to come over, and so I did reluctantly. He looked me over, "You're pissed off, I know that, but why? 'Cause of me and your mom?"

I wanted so bad to expose him, to tell the truth, but I couldn't. I was fighting myself, I could tell him and have him try and smooth it over. Or, I could lie and have all this pent up anger and animosity against him.

"Yeah." I answered after a minute.

"We're working on things." He told me.

I nodded my head out of something to do, "Can I go do my homework?"

"Come downstairs, the pizza should be here." He told me.

I looked back towards my room, as if something inside could save me. I sighed and turned back, "Okay."

"I don't get how I became the enemy," He started, "This thing is a two way street, Joe. Me and your mom both have things we need to work on."

I so badly wanted to snap at him. I wanted to shout to the high heavens that my mom wasn't to blame. She put in more effort than he ever had; she took in a child that isn't even hers and claims it. She put up with lies and deceit for years, hiding infidelity under the rug. What bad has my mom done to make my dad treat her so badly? I just couldn't see it, I don't even think there is anything.

"Yeah, okay." I agreed, lying to get him off my case.

I don't think he believed it. He gave a sigh, "C'mon."

I followed my dad down the stairs, the door bell rang just as we reached the bottom, "I got it." My dad called.

I followed him still, he opened the door, revealing the pizza guy; "One pepperoni pizza and one vegan pizza, that'll be $12.50." He said glancing up, "Holy shit!"

My dad and I both gave the guy a funny look, "What?" My dad asked.

"You're that dude from MCR, right?!" 

I rolled my eyes slightly, turning my head away. 

Dad nodded, "Yeah, man." He grabbed his wallet and grabbed some money.

"I love your band, dude." The guy with a heavy sigh, "Oh, and your wife is a babe. You are one lucky S-O-B."

I chuckled, taking the pizzas, "Wait until I tell her."

My dad's face was emotionless, he paid the guy, "Keep the change."

"Sweet! Thanks, dude."

My dad closed the door after the pizza guy turned away. I went into the dining room; Wolfie and Uncle Butcher had migrated there. "Ugh! Finally, I'm starving! This math homework is kicking my ass."

"Watch your mouth." My mom said as she entered the room. She looked at me and my dad, "What's with the faces?"

I smirked, "The pizza guy says you're a babe, mom."

My mom rolled her eyes, "How old was this pimple face?"

"Geez, mom," I snorted, "He says dad is a lucky son of a--"

My dad slapped my back, "Watch your mouth, too."

Dani skipped in, humming, then she gasped dramatically, "Joey! What happened?" She pointed to my hand.

I looked down at my bandage, "Uh, I caught a fight with my wall, Zi."

She came over and took my hand to look it over, "Are you okay? Do you need mommy to kiss it?"

I chuckled, "No, I'm fine, Dani."

"Joe, do you want me to look at it?" My mom asked as she came over.

"Dad already did." I told her, "I'm fine." I said.

"Okay," she said softly, "Hey, Frank, help me get the plates and sodas."

My dad didn't reply, he just followed behind her. Uncle Butcher looked over at me, "I told you."

I frowned, "What?"

"Yeah, what?" Dani asked curiously.

"Uncle B and Joey are being weird again," Wolfie said with a exasperated sigh, "They always act like that, Dani."

She frowned, "No fair! Mom said no secrets."

"There isn't a secret." Butcher told her, "Promise."

Dani seemed to calm down after, then smiled, "Okay."

My mom and dad came back in, they gave us each a paper plate; my dad handed Butcher one of his beers, gave me and Wolfie sodas, and Dani got chocolate milk.

"Why can't I have soda?" She asked my dad with a pout.

My dad knelt down, "Because this is better for you, Zi. You'll get big and strong, and you'll get prettier just like mommy."

My body stiffened at that, I glanced at my mom, she didn't even seem to notice as she put pizza on our plates. To be a fly on the wall of her brain. I wanted to know what she thought and really felt.

Dani began to protest, "But I--"

Dad cut her off, "Don't you wanna be pretty like mommy?" Dad smiled, it was almost as if he were taunting my mom.

My mom had a small frown when I finally gazed over at her. She put a smile on her face when she looked at me, a stray tendril of bright orange hair fell over her cheek, "Vegan or pepperoni, Joe?"

"Vegan." I answered.

She nodded, "I would've gotten you and Wolfie the meat lovers, but they were out and made a fuss about making another." She rolled her eyes playfully, "Like it would take 30 minutes to make it or some B.S. like that."

"It's okay." I replied softly.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked as she sat next to me.

I nodded, "Yeah."

My mom patted back, "Mrs. Sands called me about the baseball uniforms earlier. They want me to help out again this year."

I smiled at that thought; I loved having my mom come with me every season for baseball. She actually liked to watch me play. 

"Are you?" I asked.

She nodded, "Yep. I'm gonna work the concession stand before your games, so me and Dani can watch you."

"You still play?" Butcher asked.

I nodded, "Yeah."

"Joey is gonna be famous." Dani said to Butcher; my dad was cutting up her pizza into little squares so she could eat it without trouble, "Grandma says he's gonna be on a Wheaties box."

I rolled my eyes, my cheeks burning, "No I'm not."

"Yes you will!" Dani exclaimed. I laughed, Dani went on, "Wolfie is gonna be a big, mega rock star like daddy."

"I'm gonna be bigger than dad," Wolfie said in a snooty tone, "I'm gonna be like Ozzy."

My dad chuckled, "Dream big, dude."