‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Hate

I was already in bed when I heard my bedroom door creak open. I sat up, hearing small foot steps, "Joey?"

"Dani?"

She hummed, "Can I sleep with you?" She asked timidly, "The monster is back."

I frowned, "Dani, I told you there isn't a monster under your bed."

"Yes there is," Dani murmured, "Please, Joey. I can't go back."

I sighed, "Okay, c'mon."

Dani climbed over me, then under the covers and wrapped her arms around my arm. She tremebled, she kept mumbling something. I looked down at her, "Dani, you okay?"

"Daddy yelled at mommy before the monster growled." She told me quietly, "I got scared. You can protect me, can't you, Joey?"

I shut my eyes, cursing inwardly, "Yeah... Dani. I can... I always will."

"Thank you, Joe." She pecked my cheek, her hands unraveling around my arm and sunk into the pillows.

"You're welcome." I told her softly.

I listened to Dani's breathing as I tried to get to sleep myself. My head was full of thoughts and angry questions. I hated how angry I was with my dad, now I wish they hadn't of told me.

But, it couldn't have been a secret forever.

•••

The next morning, Dani woke me up, and together we went down the hall to shower and brush our teeth. It was still quiet, I knew it was really early and everyone was still asleep.

It was after Dani's shower that everyone started to get up. My mom had come into my room, seeing me brushing Dani's hair. She smiled at us, "Is he doing a good job?"

Dani nodded, "Joey is good, mommy."

I rolled my eyes jokingly, "I am totally a hairstylist."

Dani and my mom laughed. I finished her braids, my mom leaned against the door frame, "Hey, Dani, let me talk to Joey real quick, okay?"

Dani nodded, getting up and leaving my room. My stomach seemed to knowingly knot at the way my mom looked at me. She closed the door and sighed, "Last night your dad showed me something online."

I frowned, "What?" I asked.

"There are some internet rumors going around about our divorce and his cheating." She said softly.

"Oh." I mumbled.

"I know that kids know who me and dad are, so I'm preparing you and Wolfgang for any snide remarks from other kids."

I nodded, "I know how to deal with them, mom."

"This isn't elementary school, Joe. You can't ignore them; I know that you'll get angrier and kids can be cruel." She sighed, "If anything happens, just call us, we'll come pick you up."

"Is that why dad yelled at you last night?" I murmured this quietly.

She shook her head, "No."

I didn't want to ask, "I'm sorry, mom." I said without thinking.

"Sorry for what?" Her brow raised slightly.

"For this mess."

She came over and kissed the top of my head, "Don't apologize, honey. It'll all work out in the end."

I gave a short nod as she left the room. I got up myself and began to get my things ready for school.

After, I went downstairs to have breakfast. My dad was at the counter, Wolfie was eating cereal and Dani gulped down orange juice. I took a piece of toast and munch on it.

"Who's taking us to school?" Wolfie asked.

"I am." My dad replied, "Mom's gonna pick you up."

I hated the idea of being in the car for 7 minutes alone with my dad. I was already angry, I knew my smart mouth would ruin me, I tried to set reminders in my head to make sure I keep my mouth closed.

I finished my toast and popped a piece of gum in my mouth. I was ready to go.

"Give me a hug before you go." My mom said as we stood by the door, "I love you guys." We each hugged her.

"Love you." I told her.

She waved as we followed dad out the door. I climbed up front, my siblings in the back. I sat my backpack on my lap and kept repeating to myself to shut up.

The drive to Dani and Wolfie's school was quick. I waved to them, practically nailing my mouth shut. My dad drove off once they were safely inside the gate; he looked over at me suddenly, "Did Sunny talk to you?"

I hate when he calls my mom Sunny when he talks to us.

I licked over my lips quickly, "Yeah. I know how to handle it, dad." I reminded him with a soft chuckle.

"Don't hit anyone," He spoke sternly, "I know how bad your and Wolfgang's tempers are. You guys don't think first, just like Sunny."

I kept my mouth closed.

My dad went on, "It isn't a bad thing, Joey, it's just I don't want you to get suspended or somethin'. Your mom is all excited about your baseball games."

I couldn't stop myself, "What about you? Are you going to come to my games this year?"

My dad sighed, "I'll try."

"Dad, just tell me the truth, if you don't like to go, say so. It'll save me the hope of you ever showing up." I couldn't believe I said all that.

"It isn't bad--"

"I just should've picked up a guitar or some drumsticks like grandpa Frankie?" I couldn't control the way I spoke any longer.

"Calm down, Joseph," He started angrily, "I'm trying to explain!"

My school came into view, "Don't bother, dad."

He sighed again as he pulled up. I opened the door and climbed out before he could say anything. I was on the verge of boiling over as I entered the school.

Troy met me first, I tried to smooth over my anger, "Hey, dude."

"Hey." I replied.

Troy had this eager look on his face, "Look, uh, is it true?"

"What?" I asked.

"About your parents." He whispered.

I frowned, "No. Why do you ask?"

"Well, that big dude, Bruno is talking about it." Troy explained, "Since you totally out him the other day, he's been all butthurt. He's trying to start something."

I rolled my eyes, "And he can't come up with anything clever than rumors about my mom and dad?"

Troy nodded, "That's what I said. I knew it was just rumors, Joey, I just thought I'd ask."

"It's cool." I shrugged.

Before long, my first period bell rang, and I jetted off to class.

•••

I was surprised by lunch that no one had said a thing about the stupid rumors. Of course, I knew that some people still gossiped, but they were kind enough not to throw it in my face.

Except, at lunch.

Big Bruno Baxter is 15 and in 8th grade. He's got acne and a mustache. It's freaking creepy, he looks like an overgrown man.

Anyway, he plays on my team, and I did strike him out, and he got all pissy about it. At lunch, while me and my friends were at our table, he kept walking by and whispering things. I ignored him, this only angered him.

And, then, he came over and shoved me. I turned around, fed up with it, "What?!" I snapped.

"Hey, I think your mom needs some new dick in her life," Bruno and his friends laughed, "I can be your step dad."

I rolled my eyes, "Man, you're so clever. Check mate." 

I turned back around, only to have him shove me. "Your mom ain't shit but a whore anyway. Ain't that why your dad married her? Or was it because she was pregnant with your sorry ass?"

I stood up in a flash, dumping the half eaten food off my tray and hit Bruno in the gut and face with the plastic tray. He had let out a groan of agony after, I tossed it and that's when I was consumed and blinded by anger. The anger from my life was building and I lost control.

I was in a trance as I hit him in the face, with my fist, over and over again. I didn't snap out of it until Troy and Greg were pulling me off and a teacher was calling my name, "Frank Iero, up to office, now!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long; my fingers wouldn't type it out
Thanks for continuing to read :)

xo ali