‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Suspended

I used to think it was cool that my dad and I had the same name. Not so much anymore. Even when I was younger I wanted to be called Frankie, but it was easier that everyone called me Joey, or Joe.

The principal, she said my name as if it were some disease. "Frank Joseph Iero, you've never been called up to my office before."

I didn't have a reply. I was still fuming.

"Why did you assault one of my students?"

I looked down, "He wouldn't shut his mouth. He was asking for it."

"Asking for it? Did he want you to hit him?"

I nodded, "Yes, actually he did. He was begging for me to kick his ass."

Mrs. Jorge's eyes widen and she again grimaced, then opened her mouth to speak, but the secretary came in before she could utter anything; "Mr. and Mrs. Iero are here."

I just knew that my dad was gonna be pissed, and my mom would be disappointed.

"Send them in." Mrs. Jorge exasperated, keeping her dark brown eyes on me.

We were practically having a staring contest. I won.

Less than a second later, my mom walked in with my dad behind her. I looked back at Mrs. Jorge to see her jaw slack slightly. Yeah, it was the usual look other adults got when they see my mom and dad together.

"What did you do?" My dad asked with a bit of anger on his tongue.

I sighed, "I got into a fight."

My mom sat down beside me, my dad leaned over, "Didn't I specifically tell you, this morning, not to get in a fight?"

I didn't look at my dad, I just kept my head down. I didn't even listen as Mrs. Jorge told them the whole thing. I still hadn't explained myself as to why I hit Bruno.

My mom put her hand on my back, "What happened, Joey? What did he say to you?"

I looked at her, "He called you a whore."

My mom's brows shot up, "Oh."

My dad shook his head, "Good, I'm glad you kicked his ass, Joe."

I shook my head quickly, "And he kept shoving me, I couldn't... He was asking for it!"

My dad smiled, "Good for you."

My mom frowned at him, then looked back at me, "You should've been the bigger man."

"Frank is suspended for the remainder of the week." Mrs. Jorge cut in, "He'll have in-school suspension on Monday."

My mom rubbed my back in small circles, "This doesn't effect his games, does it?"

Mrs. Jorge sighed, "No. Believe me, the coach already called up and begged for me not to banned him from extracurricular activities."

This didn't make me feel any better. I felt like an idiot for letting Bruno get to me.

"Here's your papers, Frank--"

"Please, call me Joey. My dad's name is Frank, it's creepy." I muttered absentmindedly.

"Ok, Joey," Mrs. Jorge said, "Make sure you head to the library on Monday before first period."

I nodded, taking the papers from her. 

My dad led the way out, my mom put her arm around me, "It's okay, Joe."

"I'm sorry. I'm not sorry I hit him, he's such a prick." I muttered.

"You did good," My dad said, "You protect family."

I smiled faintly, "He wanted me to hit him, though. He kept shoving me."

"Well, you got him," My dad chuckled, "I bet he won't fuck with you anymore."

My mom frowned, again, slightly, "Even so, you shouldn't fight. I get that you lost control, but next time, you gotta think before reacting so quickly. If you see no other choice, then you can beat the crap out the kid." She kissed the top of my head.

In the car, it was amazingly peaceful. My parents didn't argue and there wasn't tension. I was surprised, though I was waiting for it all to come crashing down.

•••

I was reading in my room when the door burst open. I jumped slightly as Wolfie strode over to my bed.

"What?" I asked.

"Devin Walters said you beat up Bruno Baxter and his goons! That you mashed their faces in!" Wolfie looked at me excitedly.

I furrowed my brows, "No, Wolfie, I only hit Bruno."

"Oh," his smile faded, "Why?"

"He was talking about mom."

Wolfie made the same face mom had, "What'd he say?"

"He called mom a whore, so I beat his face in." I shook my head, "And I got in trouble."

"Mom said that. What, are you suspended?" Wolfie came and sat on my computer chair, spinning over towards my bed.

"Yeah, and ISS."

Wolfie laughed, "Man! That's it? Everyone was saying it like you murdered him!"

I shrugged, "I was sure dad would've murdered me first."

"Me too!" Wolfie exclaimed, "But, you were defending mom."

Again, I shrugged, "I figure you would've done the same."

Wolfie chuckled, "A big guy like Bruno, heck no."

I was gonna speak again when I heard my dad calling my name. I sighed and sat up, "I wonder if he's gonna punish me now."

"Doubt it, he would've done it by now."

Wolfie and I left my room and jogged down the stairs. I saw Troy and Greg talking with my dad in the foyer. I got to the bottom, Wolfie behind me, "What's up?"

My dad chuckled, "Yeah, your friends are here. Make it quick, Joe, you're suppose to be in trouble." 

I nodded my head as my dad walked off, Wolfie leaned against the banister, and I shook hands with my friends, "Hey."

"The coach wanted us to bring this to you, since Friday you'll be out." Troy laughed and tossed a baseball jersey to me.

I laughed too, "Oh man." 

"And Bruno got suspended too," Greg added, "He looks a mess."

I looked the jersey over, "Thanks for bringing this over."

"No problem." Troy shrugged, "So, how long are you on lockdown?"

I folded the jersey up, "My parents haven't grounded me yet. I'm suspended for the rest of the week and then I got ISS on Monday."

"Dude, you shouldn't be in trouble. Bruno was the one talking shit." Greg muttered.

I chuckled, "I know, but as long as he's in trouble too, I don't care."

Troy went to say something when my mom walked in, "Joey, you're suppose to be in trouble, remember?" She smiled softly at me.

I gave a sheepish smile, "Uh, mom the guys just brought the jersey over for me." I explained.

"Alright," She patted my back, "Boys, you understand that Joey is in trouble."

Greg and Troy both nodded, Troy blushed; he has a crush on my mom. Sick, I know.

"Sorry Mrs. Iero." They both said quickly.

"It's okay. Thanks for coming by." She told them.

The guys again nodded and went to the door, "No problem." Greg said, "See you, Joe."

"Bye, dude." Troy waved quickly, "See ya."

I waved to them, "Bye guys." 

My mom sighed, "You have nice friends, but that Troy boy..."

"He likes you." Wolfie said.

I laughed, "He sure does. I was surprised he didn't help me fight Bruno."

My mom shook her head, "You boys are ridiculous."