‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Unfair

As soon as my dad pulled up at our house, I jumped out of the car and ran up the drive way. My dad called my name, yelling for me to come back, but I ignored him. I ran into the house, forcing the door open and then I slammed it behind me causing the windows to rattle.

"What the hell?" My mom had been coming down the stairs, "Joey, what's going on?"

I rushed pass her, jogging up the stairs.

"Joey?! Joe, stop!" She called, "What the hell is going on?"

Then I heard the front open just as I got to the top landing. My mom yelled again, "Frank, what the hell is wrong?"

"Butcher told him!" My dad snapped.

I stopped and turned around, "Don't blame Uncle Butcher for this!" I screamed at him; my face felt hot and I started to cry.

"Who should I blame then?" My dad yelled back.

My mom, who was steps from my dad, went to him and pushed him back gently, causing him to step down the stairs, "What the hell is going on?" She hissed at him.

"Forget it!" I screamed again, my throat tight, "Make him leave! Make him go away, mom!"

My parents looked up at me, then I heard t brother and sister come out of their rooms. They stood a few feet from me, watching me. My heart was going to rip out of my chest, I waited for it.

"Frank, go into the kitchen," she said to my dad, then turned to me and walked up the stairs, "Joey, Wolfie and Dani, go into Joe's room."

We did as she said, me faster than the other two and ran towards my bed. I kicked off my shoes and sat on my bed, pulling my legs up. Dani and Wolfie looked at me, confused, but Dani looked scared. 

"What's going on?" Wolfie asked; he and Dani sat on my bed.

"Nothing." I replied, "I got mad at dad."

"Why?" Dani asked, her eyes were wide, fearful.

"Because." I answered.

They didn't say anything after. It took another few minutes before my mom came into the room. She leaned against the door, "You guys aren't going to school the rest of the week."

We all looked at her, Dani was confused and Wolfie looked pleased. Dani chewed at her lip, "Why not?"

"Me and dad think it'd be a good idea if you guys take a break from school. And, dad is gonna go to Grandma Linda's this weekend."

I just looked away, not wanting to hear anymore.

"Can we go with daddy?" Dani asked.

"No, baby." My mom replied softly, "I'm gonna take you guys to New York with me for a job. We're gonna have fun and relax this weekend. Sound good?"

Wolfie nodded first, I didn't move an inch and Dani kept looking at my mom in a confused manner. She didn't understand, I guess. If she knew what this was all about, I believe she'd be confused for the rest of her little life.

"When is daddy leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning." My mom ran her hand through her hair, shaking the ends out.

"Why can't we go with him?" Dani asked next.

"Daddy needs to be alone right now." My mom excused.

"Is he sad?" Dani frowned now.

"No, Dani, he just needs to think."

"You guys are getting a divorce, aren't you?" Wolfie spat out.

My mom looked shocked, her jaw slacked, "W-What? No, Wolfie."

"Don't lie to us, mom." Wolfie growled.

I grabbed his arm, "Knock it off." 

He ripped away from me, "No! This is unfair!"

He stood up and was ready to run out the room, but my mom grabbed him. She pulled him into her arms and hugged him; then, Wolfie began to cry. That was the first time, once Wolfie was in kindergarten, that I heard him cry. This was a big cry, too. He sobbed and held onto my mom like she was a life jacket. 

Dani looked on the verge of tears, but she didn't cry. I pulled my knees up and buried my head. The whole room was silent except for Wolfie's cries.

Finally, my mom had sighed and pulled Dani into a hug, "Let's go read a story." She suggested.

"Will you wake me up before daddy leaves?" Dani asked.

"Yeah, sweetie." My mom kissed her head audibly with a smack, "Go pick out a story, I'll be in there in a minute."

I finally looked up and saw that Wolfie was gone. I rubbed my head and adverted my eyes from my mom. She gave another heavy sigh, "Joey, are you okay?"

"No." I mumbled.

She sat on my bed and her arm wrapped around my shoulder, "I can feel your pain." She said to me softly.

"I hate him." I confessed, "I hate him."

My mom squeezed my arm, "You're just mad right now. You need to relax. You don't hate him."

"He's so stupid. I do hate him."

"It'll get better." She whispered to me, "I promise."

"No, it won't." I sputtered.

She kissed my head, "You think so now, but soon, it'll all be nothing, I promise you, Joe."

"If you say so." I grumbled.

She gave me another kiss, "Go to sleep, honey, you look exhausted."

I nodded, got up and pulled my covers back. My mom had stood and watched me; I kicked my shoes off, my jeans and shirt off. I was left in my undershirt and boxers. My mom gave me a hug and then kissed my head again; I slipped into my bed and she turned the light off.

"Sleep tight." She waved to me as she left my room.

The door closed and I was secluded in darkness. It was amazing how fast I fell asleep.

•••

I woke up the next morning to shifting on my bed. I knew immediately that it was my dad; I could smell the cigarettes and aftershave. I frowned, I was glad my back was turned to him.

"Joe?" He said my name real quiet, "You awake?"

I didn't answer.

"If you are and you're ignoring me, I understand. I'm sorry for what I said. I love you, Wolfie and Danzi all the same." He put a hand on my arm, "What I meant was that I hate that your mom has to know that Dani isn't really hers, you know? I love Dani, with all my heart, I just... I wish she had been mine and Sunny's, that's all."

I didn't move an inch.

"I'm gonna stay with Grandma for a little while. It's for the best... Give you and Sunny some space." He let out a big sigh, "I'm sorry. I love you, kid." He leant over and kissed my temple.

Still, I didn't move. I couldn't make myself. My ignorance overtook my natural behavior.

He got up and left my room. I stayed still, hearing Dani begin to cry downstairs. Her sobs were loud, she begged my dad to let her go with him. And after a few minutes, I guess he relented, because she cheered happily. I didn't mind it, maybe it would be better if Dani was with him.