‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Ache

My mom talked to Meghan about tickets to LA and booking a stay at Disney World. It wasn't much of a secret now, but my mom still wanted to surprise Dani. So I kept Dani busy with baby Mya; Mikey and Wolfie were playing video games across from us.

Everything was very peaceful, something that was rare. I liked it.

When it was time to leave, my head was really clear. I felt good, I didn't feel that sickness in my stomach for a while.

"I'll make sure to visit you guys," my mom said to Meghan.

"Don't worry, we know you're going through some stuff." Meghan hugged my mom.

"Thanks again for the help." my mom took Dani's hand and we all waved before heading to the car.

My mom started the drive home; she picked up takeout on the way. When we got home, there was a car parked out front with a woman waiting outside of it. I couldn't really see her face, but when I looked at my mom, dread was all over her face.

"Who's that?" Wolfie asked.

My mon didn't answer, "Take the food and go eat guys." she said instead; she handed me the keys.

We all got out, the three of us looking at the woman as she approached. My mom turned to us, "Go inside." she ordered.

We all began to head to the front door; I unlocked it and let them in. I couldn't stop myself from watching my mom talk with the woman. My mom out her hand up and stormed away, heading towards me. She frowned at me, "Joe, what did I say?"

"I'm sorry," I said quickly, "Who's that woman?"

"Nobody." my mom shut the door begin her, "Go handle the food."

I nodded and went off to the kitchen; Wolfie was handling handing out the food. He looked at me, "What happened?"

My mom followed in behind me, "Nothing." she said shortly.

"Who was it, mommy?" Dani asked.

My mom sighed, "No one. She's nobody, don't worry about it, honey."

As soon as we all sat down and began to eat, there was banging on the door. My mom put her fork down, "Stay here." she told us.

Of course, we sat until my mom was out of the room. We heard the door open and we all quietly went towards the hall entry to listen. 

"I told you to leave." my mom said shortly.

"Frank told me I could come."

"Well Frank is a fucking idiot. You have absolutely no business being here."

"Yes I do. She is my daughter."

We all instinctively back away, it was eerie. Dani looked sadden, she frowned, and I hugged her. Wolfie went back to listen, but it didn't even matter, their voices got louder.

"She is not your daughter! She is my daughter. Don't you remember how much you wanted from me to get her?"

The woman was quiet.

"So you and Frank can go fuck yourselves and leave my kids out of it."

My mom slammed the door; it felt like the entire house rattled. We stood there, my mom came in to us standing there. She gave a heavy sigh, "Sit down, please." she spoke defeatedly. 

We did as she said; we didn't touch our food. My mom put her face in her palms and she began to cry. It's the worse thing in the world, hearing her cry.

"Mom, it's okay." I said softly.

She out her hands down, but then wiped her eyes quickly, she let out a heavy breath, "God this is so messed up." she mumbled.

"What did she want?" Wolfie asked.

"To see Dani. I told her no."

"Why?" Dani asked.

"I don't know," my mom rubbed her eyes, "I don't know, Dani."

Dani looked worried, "She isn't gonna take me, is she?"

My mom shook her head, her brow furrowed, "No, honey. I swear."

The room got quiet after that. My stomachache came back.


My dad showed up the next morning. My parents were out in the backyard; my mom yelled once and then my dad continued yelling. They were yelling about the woman who came last night; her name is Bianca, apparently.

Me, Wolfie and Dani were up in my room playing my music loud. Wolfie was playing on my computer, Dani and I were playing connect four on the floor. Every time the song changed on my iPod dock, my dad's yells came through.

"I wish he'd shut the hell up," Wolfie complained angrily.

"We all do, Wolf." I grumbled.

Dani focused on the game, her eyes narrowed on the best way to beat me. She always beat me, I swear to god I don't know how she does it. I think it's mainly because my mind always drifts and hers stays focused.

"Ha," Dani said softly, "I got it." she didn't elaborate her plan.

"How?" I ask her, looking for the way she planned.

"Can't tell you." she said smartly.

I put one of my checkers in place. Then Dani went, then me. She smile and placed her checker in, "I win!"

I frowned and saw she won diagonally, "Damn."

Dani opened her mouth to speak but we heard dad calling our names. We all stood still for a moment, then Wolfie turned the music off, "Shit."

Dani and I got up, following Wolfie out of the room. My dad was at the bottom of the stairs with my mom. My mom looked so relaxed, as if nothing had gone on. My dad had his jaw set, "I'll see you guys before you start school, okay?"

"Yeah," I said softly, letting him hug me.

Dani hugged him after me and then Wolfie hugged him reluctantly. My dad looked terrible, his jaw relaxed then, "Have fun visiting your grandma too."

We all gave a short mod before he waved and walked out. 

Wolfie looked angry, "Why does he come to yell? He doesn't even talk to us anymore!"

My mom exhaled, she quickly pulled my brother into a hug and kissed his head, "Because he's an idiot."

I firmly agreed with that. He doesn't even try anymore.