‹ Prequel: Paint It Black
Status: Here we go again...

Escaping the Inevitable

Thank You, Happy Birthday

My birthday is on the most romantic holiday of the year; Valentine's Day. One year, my mom got me a card that said Happy Birthday Valentine, that she had specially made for me. It was nice and I still have it, but I would never show my friends.

Anyway, for my birthday this year, it's being spent in California, where we live now. It isn't snowing, and it's barely raining outside; I can see the little droplets on my large window. The sun is barely coming up, I'm the only one away, and the house is still. It's almost too quiet, the quiet that hurts yours ears most times. I hummed to remind my ears that they work.

I get up from my bed, the wood floor is still new to me, even after 7 months, I hear to my desk and sign on my computer to send my friends a message; I know it's snowing like a bitch in NJ

I didn't wait for a response; I leave the room to go downstairs to get something to eat. I know I won't wake anyone; a bomb could go off, Wolfie and Dani would sleep peacefully. I jog down the stairs, but stop when I hear something; it's like a slobbering and smacking sound.

It's either kissing or our dog Zero slurping from his water bowl.

I jog down the rest of the stairs and in the dim lighting I see Zero's doggy bed empty. He must be in the kitchen or Dani's room; I head down the short hall and stop when I see my parents on the couch.

"Excuse me." I muttered.

They break apart and look over at me, "Shit, I thought you were asleep."

"You know I can't ever sleep on my birthday." I state the fact that they know so well.

"Well, I thought turning 14 would be different." my mom says, "C'mere."

I go over and sit between them; the soft glow of the dimmers lights up the room, "What?"

"Happy Birthday," my mom says before engulfing me in a hug, "I can't believe you're another year older!"

I hug my mom back, "Yeah, yeah, I know."

"That means were older, too," my dad grumbled beside me, "God, I'm old."

"You aren't that old." my mom let me go and kissed my head.

"What do you want for your birthday?" my dad asked, "Or, what do you expect to get?"

"I don't know... I don't really care." I smiled, "You guys are... Happier than last year, so that's all I care about."

My parents smile at me, and my mom hugs me again, "Are you happy, Joe?"

I nodded, "Yeah, very."

In the past 10 months, my parents had argued and made up and didn't actually get divorced. My mom took us and moved us to LA after school ended. It was such a good situation, even my dad had thought so, that all the arguing went away when we saw my dad again. Now, he comes to visit every so often, but since the New Year, he's been crashing on the couch, and he and my mom have reconciled; I've heard them and it was gross. I was just glad that they didn't argue and my dad wasn't doing anything stupid; he was more loving towards my mom.

It's definitely an awesome birthday.

"Well, we have a surprise for you," my mom said, "But, you have to sleep for at least two hours."

I frowned, "Oh, c'mon! I can't sleep. It's tradition and impossible."

My mom hugged me still, she ran her hands up and down my arms, "Want me to tuck you in?"

"I'm too old to be tucked in." 

"No you aren't. Besides, who will know?"

I smiled at my mom, "Fine."

She kissed my cheek, "Let's go, Joey."

I shook my head and followed my mom up the stairs and to my room. The sky was still dark, I climbed into my bed while my mom shut the curtains and then came over to my bed. She funnily tucked me in and kissed my forehead, "Happy Birthday, Joe, I love you."

"Thanks mom, I love you too."

"Don't you dare get out of this bed until you've slept."

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Yeah, whatever mom."

"I'm serious."

"Okay, serious."

My mom tapped my arm, "Sleep, babe."

"I'll try."

My mom got up and left the room. I rolled over and shut my eyes; I was surprised how quickly I got drowsy. My mom must've put a spell on me.


"He's still asleep," Dani whispered.

"Wake him up," my dad whispered to her.

"No, he'll get mad." Dani giggled now.

"We got cake downstairs, he won't be too mad."

I didn't move an inch, until I felt Dani launch herself onto me; "Wakey, wakey!" she giggled into my ear.

I rolled over, "Danzi, really?"

"Yeah," she laughed and stood up on my bed, "Happy Birthday, Joey!"

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, "Thanks."

"We got cake," she told me excitedly, "Right, daddy?"

"Yep," my dad picked Dani up easily, "C'mon, get up, wash your face and brush your teeth."

I yawned, "Yeah, yeah."

I climbed out of bed and followed them out of my room, but went to the bathroom. Wolfie was in there brushing his own teeth; "Hey."

"Hey." I muttered, "Dani jumped on me."

"Me too." he chuckled, "At least it wasn't dad."

"Dad would've crushed us."

I brushed my teeth, watching Wolfie go and then hurried down the stairs behind him. My mom met us in the dining room, she was placing two numeral candles in the cake; "Look, it's shaped like a baseball."

I laughed, "Wow, ma."

"You like it?" Dani asked, "We made it."

"It's awesome, thanks."

"We know you hate parties, so we didn't tell grandma we were making a cake," my mom ushered me to sit, "She would've bought you a heart shaped cake and we didn't want that."

"Sure don't," I muttered, "Thanks again."

My dad came over with a lighter, "Ready?"

I nodded, "Uh-huh."

Wolfie and Dani sat down beside me, my dad lot the 1 and 4 numerals while my mom hugged me, "Make a big wish, alright?"

"I will." she kissed my cheek as they began to sing.

I couldn't help but to think of what to wish for. There wasn't really anything I wanted... My family was back together. 

Their singing ended and I took in a breath, thinking I only wanted one thing: for my family to stay together. I shut my eyes and blew out the candles; my mom kissed my cheek again, "I hope it comes true."

"Me too, mom."
♠ ♠ ♠
That is the end... Kinda sad to see it go, but it had to happen.
I like this ending because the first story ended with her being pregnant, the second ended with Joey's first birthday. I like it, and I hope you guys do too!
PS -Title credit is from the Cage The Elephant album

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting!
xo alison santi