Sequel: Eyes Open
Status: Re-Post from when the server crashed

The Huntress

Chapter Fifteen

Gale’s POV
I couldn’t believe that Adyrn wasn’t going to put up a fight when I told her that I was going to the feast tomorrow whether she wanted me to or not. I waited for her to fall asleep until I decided to leave. As she slept, the shaking became worse and I knew she needed this medicine if she was going to survive the games with me. She had a bow and arrow in her hands so I knew if she heard something she would be able to defend herself. I then grabbed the backpack she threw at me and slipped on the night vision glasses that she explained. I then quickly and quietly made my way to the Cornucopia to wait until sunrise. I made to the Cornucopia right as the sun was breaking through the clouds and I crouched in a bush waiting to see if the bags were really there. When the sun finally rose so we could see, I noticed that the District 5 bag was already gone and Foxface was already running towards the woods. I had no idea how I missed her running towards the Cornucopia but I somehow did. I grabbed an arrow and loaded my bow before I made a run for the table to grab the backpack that had the one thing to keep Adyrn alive. Once I was set, I started sprinting towards the Cornucopia. I was able to grab the backpack before I felt a knife knick my eye. I quickly spun around and shot an arrow but I knew I missed when I felt someone tackle me to the ground.

“Where’s your girlfriend lover boy?” I heard Clove’s voice ask.

“Around,” I said, “Where’s your body guard short stuff?”

I then heard her growl as I flipped her over and grabbed my knife out of my belt.

“Well would you look at that,” I said, “Looks like the big bad career is going to die at the hands of a little boy from District 12 now.”

“Cato!” she screamed.

I then took the knife and was about to kill her when I heard Cato’s footsteps. I then quickly grabbed her and put the knife to her throat and saw Cato rushing to where we were.

“Throw that spear and she dies,” I said holding the knife to her throat.

“You wouldn’t,” he said his eyes narrowing at me.

“Watch me,” I said.

Soon Thresh came into the Cornucopia and threw a rock right at me and Clove. I used Clove as a shield and heard the cannon go off. Thresh nodded his head to me and then grabbed both his district’s and District 2’s bags and took off towards the wheat field that was to the left of where Cato and I were standing. Cato then looked at me and was glaring.

“I’ll deal with you and your girlfriend later,” he growled and went to chase after Thresh.

I then took off and started running back towards to the cave. I didn’t know how long Adyrn had left to live and it was getting hard to see since the blood from the wounds continued to bleed and seemed that it would never stop bleeding. I finally made it to the cave to find that Adyrn wasn’t shaking like she was when I left. I quickly threw off all of the bags I had, took out the medicine, and rushed to her side. When I rolled her onto her back, she was a ghostly pale and I couldn’t see her chest rising.

“Adyrn,” I said and she didn’t respond, “Adyrn wake up!”

When I shook her she still didn’t respond.

“Don’t you die on me Adyrn,” I whispered as the tears fell and wiped the medicine all over her wound on the back of her leg, “You can’t leave me just yet.”

I then spent the next three days waiting for Adyrn to wake up. I didn’t hunt or leave the cave. I stayed put. If I was going to win these games, it was going to be with Adyrn not without her. I don’t know if I truly loved her like I told the people of the Capitol but I knew I did have some feelings for her. I was sitting at the mouth of the cave when I heard a rustling sound behind me. I quickly turned around and rushed to where Adyrn was waking up.

“What happened?” she asked groggily, “I remember fighting then I went to bed.”

“You almost died on me,” I said and hugged her tightly, “I thought I lost you Adyrn.”

I then took her face in my hands and kissed her urgently. I needed to know that she was alive and this was really her and not some dream I was in. When our lips parted, she was looking up at me with an emotion in her eyes I didn’t recognize at all.

“I wouldn’t leave you without saying goodbye,” she said, “That would be totally unfair of me.”

I then laughed at her and hugged her tightly.

“So I take it you got the medicine?” she said looking at me.

“Of course I did,” I scoffed, “What kind of person would I be if I didn’t?”

“A horrible partner,” she chuckled and looked at her leg to see it was all healed.

“Its healed,” I smiled up at her.

“It is,” she grinned up at me and then frowned when she noticed the scar over my right eye.

“I’m fine,” I told her trying to stop her from touching the scar.

“What happened to your forehead?” she asked as she lightly touched the scar over my right eye.

“The District 2 girl tried to use my head as target practice,” I said, “but she failed.”

“Do you still have some of that medicine?” she asked.

“Yeah why?” I asked and then it clicked, “We should save it Adyrn. My eye is fine.”

“That’s because you don’t know how to make the medicine last Gale,” Adyrn said lightly and quickly made her way to the container next to the bags and opened up the container.

She then turned around and put a light layer of the medicine on my eye.

“It should keep it from getting infected,” she said.

“Thank you,” I said and she nodded her head.

We then heard a loud sound of thunder and then we saw lighting shoot across the sky.

“So much for going out to hunt,” I muttered and she smiled lightly at me.

“We don’t have much but we have dried beef, dried fruit, and some crackers still left,” she said.

“I guess that will have to do then won’t it,” I smiled lightly at her and we spilt the food.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe!