Sequel: Eyes Open
Status: Re-Post from when the server crashed

The Huntress

Chapter Eighteen

Gale was still holding my hand as Haymitch and Effie got in the car as well.

“Beautiful job you two,” Haymitch said and nodded his head at Gale and that’s when I knew something was up but I wasn’t going to say anything.

“Thanks,” I replied quietly and then looked out the window to see everyone lining the streets and clapping and cheering for us.

“So how long will the crowning ceremony last?” Gale asked.

“Not very long,” Effie said smiling at us, “President Snow will crown you both and then you will have to change into your party attire for tonight. Cinna and Portia will come get you around six because the party started at eight.”

I just nodded my head mechanically as the car pulled to a stop and then we were ushered around the back to the building and we rode an elevator to the balcony of President Snow’s house. The layout of the balcony was simple. Two chairs where a crown was in the middle and slightly in front of the chairs. There was a podium in front of the crown and white flowers were all over the place and I saw President Snow in his office watching us as we walked onto the patio. We sat in our seats and then we waited for President Snow to come out and crown us. President Snow came out a few minutes later and walked up to the podium and gave a beautiful speech about how love is a very special thing and that we should cherish and not fake it. I had no clue what he was talking about but everyone clapped and cheered after his speech and he turned to look at us. He then walked to the crown and broke it in half. He walked up to me and I stood just like the peacekeepers here told me as we were riding the elevators up to the balcony.

“Gale is a very lucky man to have you as his girlfriend Adyrn Everdeen,” President Snow smiled genuinely at me, “Even my son wishes he had you as a girlfriend.”

“Thank you President Snow,” I said as he crowned me.

“And I like your necklace,” he said, “It suits you.”

“Thank you,” I replied, “It was a gift from a friend.”

“You’re welcome,” he said and then walked over to Gale and I noticed his demeanor changed.

Gale and President Snow exchanged short words and I could tell President Snow was not happy and I looked over at Gale who smiled at me and I smiled back. President Snow walked over to the podium and then announced,

“Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you our winners of the 74th Hunger Games, Gale Hawthorne and Adyrn Everdeen of District 12!”

Everyone cheered and clapped for us and after a few pictures for the press, we were ushered back to the car we came in and we were taken back to the training center. We got to the training center by 5:30 so Gale and I had some time to talk alone in the sitting room before Cinna and Portia came to take us to change again. Gale and I were curled up on the couch looking out the window and I spoke.

“What was the look Haymitch gave you for?” I asked looking up at him.

“What look Adyrn?” Gale asked pretending to not understand and I sighed.

“Never mind,” I sighed sitting up and walking over to the window, “Forget I asked.”

“Adyrn,” Gale said and I turned around and looked at him holding in the tears.

“Don’t Adyrn me Gale,” I said getting angry and glaring at him, “I said to drop it so drop it.”

Gale sighed and I just turned around to look out the window.

“You know we’re probably going to have to dance at this thing,” I said not looking at Gale.

“We better start practicing then shouldn’t we?” Gale asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

“Maybe we should wait for Haymitch and Effie,” I said as Portia and Cinna came to get us. Cinna took me back to my room and let my prep team take care of me.

The minute they saw me they attacked me in a hug and I gave them a fake smile and thanked them as they congratulated me for winning the games. While they did my hair, makeup, and nails they gushed about their favorite parts about the games and how they were home when I found Gale and they thought we made a cute couple from the get go and on and on. I didn’t really pay attention but I thought about the fact that from now on I was a totally different person because of these games. I would never be the same fun loving girl I was back home. From now on I was always going to be a killer and I coldhearted one on how you look at it. I killed four people without a second thought and without regret. I had seen so much death in the past three weeks that I was never going to pick up a bow and arrow, or so I told myself. Before I knew it, my prep team was all done and they were giving me kisses goodbye and they said they would see me at the ball. Cinna then walked in and noticed something was up.

“Want to talk about it?” he asked and I shook my head no.

“I’ll be fine,” I said as I got into my giant ball gown, “I just want to go home now. I’m tired of being away from it.”

“We’ll you’re going home tomorrow from what I heard from Effie so just one more night to put on that ten million dollar smile and wow the crowd.”

“Until the Victory Tour,” I muttered and Cinna smirked.

“You’ll be fine Adyrn,” he said as he kissed my forehead, “You’re worrying way too much now.”

“Fine,” I said and breathed, “I’ll breathe and see where that leads me.”

“Go look in the mirror before we leave,” he said and I walked over to the full length mirror I had in my room.

The minute I saw myself, I was in pure awe. My dress was black with a gold design on the bodice and my makeup was gold. Cinna had Venia put a gold eye shadow, gold eyeliner, and some type of glitter all over my body. He then had Octavia put on a gold nail polish and then had Flavius put my hair into a bun with a black rose on the side. I then noticed he made sure I kept my locket and mockingjay necklace on. I turned to look at him and smiled at him.

“I feel beautiful for the first time in a long time Cinna,” I said, “Thank you so much.”

“It was nothing Adyrn,” he said as I hugged him, “You always look beautiful I don’t care what anyone says.”

“Thank you,” I said again and Cinna smiled at me.

He then took my hand and we headed to the sitting room to wait for the others. When we got to the sitting room however, everyone was waiting for me. Everyone was talking excitedly but when I walked into the room, everyone stopped talking and looked at me.

“You look amazing sweetheart,” Haymitch grinned at me as he hugged me.

“Thanks Abernathy,” I blushed as I hugged him.

I then looked up at Gale who was still staring at me with an open mouth. While we stood there I took in his appearance. Portia had him dressed in a black suit and tie matching my dress colors and she had his hair spiked and he was wearing a gold handkerchief and I must say he looked handsome.

“You look beautiful,” Gale said when he found his voice.

“Thanks,” I said blushing really badly and Venia, Octavia, Portia, Flavius, and Effie awed causing me to blush even more.

“Well let’s get this show on the road,” Haymitch said ruining the moment, “We need to get to a ball so we can go home.”

Everyone left the room heading to the elevators which left me and Gale alone.

“So where do we go from here?” I asked.

“We go knock the socks off of them,” Gale said, “and we finally head home.”

For some reason that wasn’t the answer I was looking for but I just nodded my head as he grabbed my hand we walked into our new lives as the winners of the 74th Hunger Games.
♠ ♠ ♠
Adyrn's Ball Outfit
Gale's Ball Outfit

Should I have sequel to this story? Comment and let me know!