Status: Active

The Tragedy of R.M.S. Titanic

Memories Return

“Amelia, you look absolutely gorgeous!”

The evening gown was of white lace, and cream cotton. It was so much more comfortable than the old dress I had. I felt as though I were an elite again.

“It used to be my sister’s before she conceived Nicholas.”
I admired myself in the full length mirror that stood near the entry of Harriet’s room.

“Now, to fix that hair of yours.” She took hold on my wrist and sat me down in front of a dresser.

A comb gently separated the tangles, and formed beautiful ringlets. My hair was then lifted into an complicated bun, letting a few strands of ringlets cascade down my creamy neck. Harriet turned my body toward her, and she started applying cosmetics. Mascara to lift my abundant eyelashes, ruby red lipstick to bring my lips to life, and blush to brighten my face.

“Perfect.” She admired her work. “You look like a princess.”

I did. I looked exactly like my mother had. Beautiful, and mystic.

“I have something to ask you.”

“What is it?” I smiled.

“Do you enjoy my nephew’s company?”

The question was so sudden that I slightly double taked.

“What? How absurd. I only met the man today!” I gasped with disbelief.

“That doesn’t stop anything my dear.”

I never took my gaze off her.

“Come, we don’t want to keep the poor, helpless boy waiting.”

When we arrived to the stairs that led to the dining area, the quartet was performing Handel’s Prelude: Air. And many people were up and about, socializing with each other. Same people, same dresses, same useless chatter. I was instantly reminded of how much I hated my snobby life. In fact I was glad that everyone perished. They all deserved to be in Hell. I came back to reality when I felt a tug on my lower skirt. Nicholas was standing erect with one arm bent over his torso, and the other hidden behind his back.

“Oh my, Eleanor? Is that you?”

Nicholas ascended the steps while Harriet joined her friend.

“Good evening, Miss Calder.” He took my hand, and kissed it tenderly.

“Please, call me Amelia.” I breathed.

“And you, call me Nicholas.” He pulled me down the steps.

We walked linked by the arm to the dining area. Every head turned to us. I was royalty that night.

“Oh Nicholas, Amelia. Over here.” Harriet called.

She was sitting with a large group of elite looking people. I heard whispers as we took our seats.

“Everyone, I’d like introduce Miss Amelia Calder, she made an acquaintance with my nephew this morning.”

No one said anything, they just stared with expectant eyes.

“Come now, don’t frighten the poor girl.” Nicholas took hold of my hand that clenched tightly on my lap.

At the time, I didn’t think that they liked me, let alone accept me. But, now I know they did.

“Well, if you all are not going to speak, then we’ll be on our way.” He stood up pulling me along with him.

“Nicholas, wai-“

We disappeared into the night.

“Crazy youngsters.” Harriet happily shook her head.

He pulled us through swarms of people, making me stumble over my dress as I tried lifting it from the ground. We came into an empty hall, and stopped abruptly.

“Why did you do that?” I laughed uncontrollably.

“I didn’t like the party.” He smirked.

His two arms wrapped around me, and we twirled around the space. I laughed until my ribs hurt. He paused the waltz, and stared gently at me.

“You’re beautiful.”

I saw him lean in, and I moved back causing him to stumble a bit. Bagpipes echoed in the distance.

“Come on, I’ll show you a real party.”

The room was packed as a can of sardines. I’ve seen this type of party before in a village near Devonshire when my family was called to a meeting.

“Let’s go!” I tugged at his arm, but he held back.

“I don’t think this is a good idea.”

“Oh please Nicholas, you can’t stay stuck in a cage forever!”

The way of bumping sardines swallowed us, and I started following every step the others were doing. Nicholas was frozen.

“Take my hand, and don’t leave my side.” I shouted over the bagpipes and violins.

Our hands met, and I pulled him on top of a rectangular table. I grabbed someone’s beer, and took a huge gulp that emptied the glass. I took off my heels, and threw them to a woman near by. The music was loud, and worked it’s way into my body. I had learned to River dance with a couple of people I travelled with two years ago, and I stomped my feet on the surface I was standing on. People came, held my two hands, and joined me. The crowd cheered and clapped along. Nicholas stared in wonder while I danced.

“Dance with me.” I panted during a two measure pause.

“Amelia, I can’t.”

“Trust me.”

He took a few moments to decide, and he took my hand when the music started up again. Our feet moved in sync with every clap. He was a fast learner, and a fast heart snatcher.

“Let’s go some where quiet.” He spoke loudly near my ear so I could hear.

We left the third class fiasco, and wandered the empty decks.

“”You really are amazing.” He broke the silence.

Heat rose to my already flushed cheeks, which made my face seem pinker. I faced toward
the sea to hide my face.

“You’re nervous?” He cupped my chin, and turned my head to him.

“No, I’m not.” I quickly defended myself.

“You’re adorable.” He chuckled.

He leaned in slowly, and it took me a few seconds to realize what he was going to do. I braced myself for what was going to come. I felt his breath caress my lips, warning me of how close his were to mine. I was unprepared. He was about steal my first kiss.

“Let’s go back to Aunt Harriet. She’ll be wondering where we’re at” He whispered so closely to my virgin lips, and retreated to his position, letting my chin free from his grasp.

My heart pounded immensely inside my chest as I stood in shock of what happened.

“Come on.”

My legs stepped forward without my consent. No one was in the dining room anymore. The chairs were neatly tucked in the table, and the plates were gone. Music echoed down the hall, a wedding waltz perhaps. A doorman stood at the entry way of the ballroom. He smiled and bowed slightly as the door opened, letting the music pour out of its container. Memories rushed to me. I saw my mother, and father sitting in the two grand chairs I remember stomping on. My mother was five months pregnant with my baby brother, Alexander. Cousins, and grandparents laughed, and danced with the music. My parents motioned me to them, then fire surrounded me. Cries made their way to my ears threatening to make them bleed. Everything was ablaze, and melting in front of my eyes. The music turned minor.

“Ah!” I screeched, and struggled to break free from Nicholas’s arm.

“Amelia, what happened?” He tightened his grip.

“Amelia, what’s wrong child?” Harriet rushed to me.

The music stopped, and everyone turn to me. Tears streamed down my cheeks, the trail very noticeable. I finally jerked away from Nicholas’s iron grip, and ran out of the fire, out of sight. I ran to a place where no one would find me. A closet full of third class clothing was available for rent, and I buried my head between my knees, and silently mourned for my family. I hated them with a passion, I still had no idea why I cried.

“Amelia!” Nicholas and Harriet’s echoed through the decks.

I never came out. I didn’t want to face them. I didn’t want to tell them my story.

“I’m sorry, Nicholas. I can’t see you right now.” I whispered.

And the night captured my tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello again readers! I was planning to publish this chapter last evening, but I had a very important test to assess today. But, HERE IT IS. :) All 1,343 words. I really hope you enjoy this one. The next one will be out soon! x

Amelia's dress: http://madameguillotine.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/58-125-4_front_cp3.jpg

And for those who don't know what River Dancing is, here is a quick video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W22gpBv00gg