Status: Active

The Tragedy of R.M.S. Titanic

Betrayal.

Harriet shut the door to her room. Her face told me that she had something on her mind. Something of not good information.

“Is there something wrong, Harriet?”

She didn’t seem to hear me. She was swimming in her thoughts.

“Harriet, are you alright?” I tried again.

This time she faced me; her eyes filled with strain. I moved toward her. Something was not in place, and I did not like it.

“Amelia.” She finally spoke.

“Yes?” I anxiously waited for a reply.

“I’m afraid-“ She paused. “I’m afraid you can’t speak with Nicholas any further.”

All of gravity’s weight fell upon me. Her words echoed in my mind; repeating like an ancient, broken record. What could’ve caused such an abrupt change of character in Harriet?

“What did you say?” I asked, unsure if I had heard her words correctly.

Her eyes shot up at me with anguish.

“You must never speak with Nicholas again.” She said once again being more harsh this time.

I still couldn’t comprehend why she was telling me that.

“But… Why?” My voice was barely audible.

It happened quickly. She disappeared from the room we occupied to her bed chamber, and returned with what seemed like twenty four dresses. Twelve day ones, and twelve evening ones. She tucked them firm and neatly into the mahogany suitcase.

“Here, this will be enough for the rest of the voyage.” She shoved the suitcase into my bosom, forcing me to wrap my arms around it.

“Why are you doing this? Why can’t I converse with him?” I panicked.

She ignored my inquiry, and scampered toward the room entrance.

“Please, answer me!” I cried.

She stopped in her place. The air was tense; I couldn’t breathe.

“Because my dear. Nicholas is betrothed.”

A ton a bricks fell on my heart, and fire started to rise, trapping me.

“Betrothed?” My mind went blank.

“Yes. To Elaine Jones. I’m afraid it’s time for you to head out now.” She opened the door that lead to the hallway.

I couldn’t find the strength to move forward.

“Come on now! I can’t stay here all day!” She snapped.

I had never thought that she could be so angry. So harsh. I trudged forward; out the door.

“I’m so sorry.” She whispered as I walked past her, and closed the door separating us into to two different worlds.

The tears spilled, and I collapsed on my knees, sobbing. Why didn’t he tell me before? He stole my first kiss along with my heart. Why did everything I love always leave? I stood from the ground and fled from the bitter sweet hallway.

Walking along the first class deck, thoughts flashed through my mind. Where was I going to sleep at night? How could’ve possibly went through Nicholas’s mind?

“Amelia!”

I didn’t want to turn to face the voice that called my name. I couldn’t. Not after what I had learned. He called my name again, which only quickened my pace. Then a strong arm took hold of my petite wrist.

“Hey. I called you twice.” He panted.

I kept my gaze ahead at the Atlantic, not daring to look at the evil man who held me captive.

“Amelia. Why aren’t you looking at me, or speaking to me? And why are you carrying my aunt’s suitcase?”He stood in front of me, blocking my view, and forcing my eyes to gaze
upon him. He started to lean to me, but I moved.

“What happened. Did I do something to offend you?” He asked worriedly.

“You know, you know what you did.” I had to force myself tospeak otherwise, I would’ve been a mute fool.

“I don’t understand.” He finally released my wrist.

“Oh, I think you know very well, Mister Collins.” I spat.

He stood there, motionless. The wind changed the atmosphere around us. I felt the fire beginning to surround me again. My heart collapsing with every second that I stood before Nicholas.

“It was a pleasure meeting you on this glorious ship, Mister Collins.”

“Nicholas…” He corrected me.

“Perhaps I’ll see you another time within the days on the Titanic. Cheers.”

I slowly walked away from the man who gave me hope, the man I trusted. But, all of that hope,a nd trust was thrown overboard, left to sink in the depths of the ice cold Atlantic.
♠ ♠ ♠
Good day readers! I apologize for this chapter. It's really short. I promise that the next chapter will be much longer! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! x