Status: slow updates for a little while :P

Something in the Water

Rumor Has It

Sam pauses just before he takes a large mouthful of his triple-decker peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "Don't you have a lunch?"

"I do," I say, folding my hands beneath the table. "I'm just not hungry."

Sam looks down at his sandwich and rips off a corner. He offers it to me, and I take it with a small smile. He gives me one in return, and then proceeds to eat his lunch.

I pick at the crust when I see Sara walk in with one of her other friends. I don't know her well, but she's known Sara for a while.

I wonder if we should make room for the two of them, but they both pass our table by like it doesn't exist.

I point with my thumb. "Did you see that?"

Sam wipes the corner of his mouth with the back of his hand. "See what?" His eyes follow my thumb and he huffs.

"I didn't think she was that angry with me." I say. "I mean, she didn't even look at us." It was odd, seeing how every other stranger that walked by
managed to look in our direction.

"She's a baby." He says plainly. "Always has been."

I drop my eyes, disappointed that she would just disown me like that.

"Look on the bright side," He mumbles through sandwich. "We get to enjoy a nice, peaceful lunch together."

I roll my eyes. "That's what I've always wanted."

He slaps his sandwich down. "Dammit, Sully would you eat something? You're making me feel weird."

"I'm fine." I insist.

"Aren't you supposed to be eating for two or something? Poor kid's probably starving." He shakes his head in disapproval.

I look down at my corner of his sandwich and take one bite to make him happy. He takes a satisfied bite of his own.

A group of people at the round table beside us is taking turns looking and whispering. I try to train myself to ignore it. Whatever hungry feelings were living in my stomach before are gone for good.

Sam notices my discomfort and decides to intervene. A girl with short blonde hair takes her turn to gawk at the pregnant girl.

"What are you looking at, huh?" He asks her, but casually. "Never seen two people eating lunch before?"

She jerks her head back around, and her friends redirect their eyes.

Sam nods once at me. "I bet Ben would just sit here and not say a word. You should be thankful he picked such a good bodyguard."

"That wasn't necessary." I tell him. "But thanks, I guess."

I let my eyes wander as Sam finishes his sandwich. I find myself watching Sara laugh with her new best friend. I suddenly realize if Sam wasn't here, I'd be eating lunch alone.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you this morning." He apologizes. "But you kind of deserved it."

"I know," I admit. "I'm sort of glad you did it."

I switch my focus to my bodyguard, his sandy blonde hair brushing his eyebrows. He and Sara don't look much alike, but they have the same hair and green eyes that instantly clarifies the twin thing.

He sees me staring at him. "What?"

I shrug and look down at my feet. "Nothing."

. . . . . . . . 

I stop by Ben's house before I go home after school.

I try not to run as I walk to his bedroom. I reach the door and invite myself in. His mom told me he might be asleep, and she's right. He lies on his stomach, his bare back exposed from beneath the covers.

I tiptoe to the side of the bed, around the obstacle course of random objects on his floor, and plant myself on the edge of it. He doesn't stir, and I hear his soft snoring filling the silence.

His sleeping face looks like that of a small child, fast asleep after a long day. I can't bear to wake him, but I touch my fingertips to his back.

I flinch and nearly gasp at the heat radiating through his skin. I place my palm flat on his back and frown. It's like his blood is boiling, the fever is so high.

"Oh, Ben." I whisper to myself, stroking his skin with the coolness in my hands.

After a few minutes, he sighs in his sleep and one of his eyes peeks open. "Em?"

"Hey." I smile real big and lean down to kiss his cheek. Hs face is flushed red.

He's slow to roll onto his back, but manages with another sigh. "I'm sorry." He mumbles.

"You're sorry? It's my fault that you're sick." I remind him. "I'm sorry."

He's struggling to keep his eyes open. "It's not..." He's interrupted by a yawn. "It's not your fault."

"Shh," I run my hands through his hair. "Go back to sleep."

"I can sleep when I'm dead." He smiles slightly. "Did Sam take care of you today?"

I nod slowly. "I felt like a princess."

He sighs another time. "Good. How about everyone else?"

I trace the angles of his face, and it reminds me of how simple life was a week ago when Ben traced me. "They stared at me." I tell him. "I guess I just didn't expect so much attention. Sara's the only one that's trying to avoid me."

He makes a soft noise in his throat, and I see that he's teetering on the edge of consciousness. I know in the back of my mind that there is no way he'll be healthy enough to get to school tomorrow.

"I'll see you later, okay?" I pet his hair one last time. He's out cold.

I don't want to leave him, but I know he needs to get better, and to get better he needs sleep.

So I have to leave.

. . . . . . . . 

It's been three days. Ben still can't get out of bed. And frankly, it's scaring the hell out of me.

I can't imagine what it was in the dye that made him so ill, but they say it's an allergy he didn't know he had. They say it takes a few days to completely leave your system, so his body is trying to burn it off at a faster rate. That explains the fever.

Sam's attached to his body guard title, and he wears it very well. I'm still subject to rude staring and gossip, but I haven't directly heard any of the rumors, and I don't want to hear them. Sam holds my hand everywhere we go together, and it definitely makes me feel better. He's almost as good
as Ben, an his little jokes don't hurt, either. They help me forget why people stare at me. It's become a routine, although it's only been three days.

It's in my chemistry class, after a third lunch alone with Sam - still without Sara - that I'm approached for the first time.

"Hey, Emma?" Her name is Rachel. She's in a few of my classes, and she sits right behind me in this one.

I turn to face backwards. "Yeah?" I expect her to ask me about something chemistry related, though we both never have any idea what's going on.

She seems unsettled, shifting her legs restlessly. "Um, I was sort of shocked when I heard about you and Ben."

I'm just comfortable enough with her to talk about it. "I think everybody was."

She bites her lip. "I always thought the two of you would end up getting married. Do you think things will change?"

I am a little confused by the way she phrases her question, but I think I understand. "I sure hope so. I'm just trying to get through the baby thing first." I'm surprised at how easily the words leave my lips.

She has this disappointed look in her eye. "I think Ben will make the better father."

Now I'm very lost. "Better?"

She shifts again. "Well, I guess Sam would be alright, but Ben can be both fun and responsible."

I actually laugh out loud. "Sam?" It catches Sara's attention from across the room. "I didn't realize he was an option."

"Well, come on, Emma. It's fair to at least give some thought into allowing the baby's real dad to raise him."

I would laugh again if she didn't look so serious. "You think Sam is..."

Her eyes widen to double in size. "Isn't he?"

And so the rumors finally come full circle and reach me: Sam is apparently my baby's father.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey :) so new mibba chaanged up the layout thing so I just set it to a default-ish page. I kind of lied... new mibba isn't my favorite :/ but i still love you!! comment, subscribe, and recommend!!