Status: slow updates for a little while :P

Something in the Water

Hopeless

When I make it to the Evaluation Center, I find Ben waiting for me near my father's office. He's having a casual conversation with my mom at her desk.

I can't say that our relationship is the same as it used to be, but it isn't awful, either. He's already apologized for being so forceful, and I've apologized for not giving him a chance. That was the end of it. Lately it's been weird, like we don't feel as comfortable around eachother. We aren't the same, but we're okay, and that's good enough for now.

I approach them both, but my mom is the first to notice me. "Oh, Emma, your father wants to see you."

Ben smiles slightly before I look back at my mom. "Don't we have an appointment now?"

"The schedule is a bit off today. Go on, he's waiting for you." She pushes the air with her hands towards Dad's office.

I check Ben's smirk growing before I knock twice on the door. I go inside and find Dad browsing around his office, clearly waiting for me. I've been waiting to run something by him as well.

"Dad?"

He stops in his tracks. "Your mother tells me you're going to request a Simulation?"

I swallow roughly. "Yes."

"And you've come up with this on your own?"

"Mom told me I should think of something to try and show them that I can take care of my baby on my own, so I thought a Simulation would be the best way to do it." I can't tell if he's angry with me or if he's on my side.

A Simulation is only offered to married couples that are considering having their first child. By request, the Evaluation Center supplies the couple with a strikingly life-like robotic baby for 72 hours. The simulated baby moves, sounds, feels, and acts like a real baby, giving the couple a feel of what caring for a baby will be like.

It's a nice option, especially if you're on the border about being parents, but it can also seriously damage your chances of passing the Evaluation. The Evaluation Center monitors every second the baby is in your possession, and if something goes wrong, it's recorded. Likewise, if the baby is well taken care of, passing the Evaluation is almost guaranteed.

It's perfect.

"You don't think it's a good idea?" I question his thoughful expression.

"No, I think it's brilliant." He finally says, close to smiling again. "I can't believe I didn't think of it before."

I sigh, relieved. "Better than going through with your plan."

"Sure it is, but I'm not entirely sure it will help you. The Board is just as stubborn as you are."

Ben pokes his head in the room. "Time to go, Em."

I let my eyes flicker to Ben, but stay focused on my father. "So should I request it?"

Dad looks conflicted, but ultimately shakes his head. "I have a feeling it will only harm you. They'll go out of their way to make it so you don't pass."

"But what else am I supposed to do?"

Ben catches my wrist and tugs me out of the room.

I get a knot in my stomach, but Dad's encouraging nod gives me courage to follow Ben outside.

Mom leads us to one of the Evaluation rooms, patting my back before we go in. Davidson is already waiting for us. He stands up at our entrance.

"Alright, I only have ten minutes. My schedule is completely -"

"I know." I interrupt him, then regret it when I see his startled face. "I, um, I have a request to make, if it isn't too much trouble.

Ben eyes me curiously, but doesn't say anything. He doesn't know exactly what I'm doing, but he does know my father advised me to keep my mouth shut about it.

Davidson holds in a sound of impatience. "So, what's on your mind, then?"

"A Simulation." I say. "Please."

The Evaluator nearly laughs. "Impossible. Not unless you are married, and you have to be twenty years old for that to -"

"But I know if you set one up for us, we'll show you that we're perfectly capable of being parents."

"It's not a matter of whether you can do it or not, it's simply the law. Now please, have a seat. We need to get this moving along."

Ben follows Davidson's lead in taking a seat, but I stay standing, holding my ground.

He starts without waiting for me. "Since the baby is due in a few months, we need to start setting up a suitable enviornment, as well as a set of foster parents."

I can't hold it in. "No!"

Ben is holding his breath when he tugs on my elbow again. "Emma,"

"You have to at least consider it! Why shouldn't we be offered a Simulation? It's not a problem, is it?"

"The law is written for a reason, and there is no reason to -"

"I'm sick of that excuse! Tell me why it's too much trouble. The real reason."

He bluntly ignores me. "We can offer the child to a selection of clients that already have children of their own, or we can -"

"I don't want my baby being raised by someone else!" I declare madly. "I won't let you do it without giving me a chance to prove myself!"

Davidson huffs in an irritated way. He rises to his feet. "I knew taking you as a client was a mistake." He mutters, cutting through me to the door. "I will contact you with the fosters' information."

It's not until he's gone that I realize what I've done. My knees wobble, and I finally collapse onto my chair. "I don't know what to do anymore." I whisper, feeling the defeat draping over my shoulders.

Ben won't look at me. "Why did you do that?"

"What did you want me to do, let him decide the fate of my baby?"

"There's nothing you can say to change their minds!" He shouts at me. "Don't you get it? We can't do anything else!"

I clench my teeth and stare at the Evaluator symbol on the wall. It's all I've known my entire life, but I never expected it to be ruined by it.

"So it's hopeless?" I ask. "Should I just detach myself from the baby now so it isn't as painful when they take him away from me?"

Ben keeps his jaw locked, staring at the same symbol I am.

I nod to myself. "That's what I'll do. I'll just pretend it isn't my baby." It seems like a decent method of thinking. I can ask if the Evaluation Center can send my baby to a couple like the one in the hospital that hasn't been so lucky with their pregnancy. That will be a good place to send him, right?

We're still so young, we have our whole life ahead of us. I can just picture it as carrying a baby that's meant for someone else. That isn't going to ruin my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
SUPER SHORT I know, but I've been suffering from severe writer's block. Consider this a set-up for the next chapters ;) It'll be much longer next chapter.

Oh, and if you haven't checked yet, I went all out on the character page! Check it out and tell me if you like my choices :) THANKS FOR READING!!