Status: slow updates for a little while :P

Something in the Water

Piece of Meat

BEN:

Dr. Stevens looks around the room at us all. "Are you ready?"

Hilary squeezes Rick's arm in anticipation. It was Emma's idea to invite them to find out the gender of the baby with us. She nods to the doctor.

We all wait a few seconds for Dr. Stevens to adjust the sonogram. She grins again. "It's a girl!"

Hilary's the first to respond. "Oh, how sweet! A little princess!" She giggles and hugs Rick.

I check with Emma. She's watching the Parkers enjoy the moment before she looks at me. "I've been acting like she was a boy this whole time." She says.

"I'm sure she'll forgive you." Dr. Stevens insists.

"Look at her, Rick!" Hilary stands right behind the doctor, admiring the screen. "She's so beautiful! Those are her hands, right?"

"Right," Dr. Stevens hesitates. "Her head is here, and these are her feet."

Hilary continues to gush over the baby. Emma sits upright, blurring the picture. "We know it's a girl." She says quickly and uncomfortably. "Can you go print the pictures now?"

"Certainly." Dr. Stevens says, sensing the discomfort. "Would you like to come with me?" Emma shakes her head.

"Can we come?" Hilary asks, clinging to Rick again. I see Emma's scowl and I understand what's got her so uptight.

The three of them leave the room. Emma lies back down and stares at the ceiling. "You okay?" I ask.

"Who the hell does she think she is? It might not be my baby anymore, but it's still inside me, and she shouldn't run around acting like it's already hers."

I almost regret asking. "They're excited." I tell her. "It's sort of a miracle for them."

Emma scoffs at me. "There's that word again. What kind of miracle makes me feel like I'm worthless?"

"You aren't worthless. You mean everything."

"Not to them. I'm just the piece of meat popping out babies."

I can't tell if she really feels this way, or if it's her distressed hormones. "Em, you're not a piece of meat. You're a human being, and you chose to give the baby to them."

"I am a piece of meat! Everyone acts like I don't have any feelings, but I do! The Parkers act like I have no connection to the baby, the Evaluation Center doesn't care at all, and you don't understand, because you aren't the one carrying him!" She catches herself and corrects it. "Her."

"Emma, I understand that this whole experience is torturing you, but I don't know what else to do!" I would give her the world if I could. I know this will affect her life forever. She'll never be the same. "You've made it this far, so you just have to stick it out till the end."

The doctor and the Parkers return, and I keep my head down. Emma blinks the redness from her eyes. "Can I go home now?"

Hilary smiles down at the photos and speaks to Rick in a low voice. "We'll have to repaint the baby room." He nods in agreement.

Dr. Stevens tunes them out. "Sure, Emma. Get some rest, because the next few weeks will be exhausting." She winks and pats Emma's knee. "I'll see you all very soon?"

"Yes, Doctor, thank you so much for everything!" Hilary says. Emma totally wants to strangle her. I smirk to myself.

They bid us a quick goodbye before exiting the room. I help Emma to her feet and hold her hand steady as we walk out towards the lobby. She's been struggling lately. The weight of the baby is tough on her ankles and feet.

We pass the Nursery, and Emma sees her friend Vanessa inside. "Keep walking." She urges me.

Vanessa catches up anyway. "Hi, guys!" 

Emma puts on her fake happy face. "Oh, hey! How's married life?"

"Wonderful! We just found out this morning we passed the Evaluation!"

I worry that Emma will literally fall apart in my arms. "Oh, congradulations."

"Thank you! I'm so excited, I can't wait to be pregnant. You look so beautiful, by the way."

Emma doesn't take the compliment well. "Thanks. Look, I'm really tired, so --"

"Oh sure, get going. I'll see you around." Vanessa hugs her with one arm and then returns to the Nursery.

Emma doesn't say anything after that. She just walks on, without another word.

. . . . . . . .

EMMA:

Sara's house is so empty. I walk inside, still holding Ben's hand, and I can't prove that anyone is home.

"I'll check upstairs." Ben kisses my cheek and lets go of my hand.

I walk around to the kitchen and find her, staring out the back window. "Sara?"

She turns to face me, her face swollen with tears. She presses back her cries and hurries to embrace me. "I'm so sorry!"

I rub my hand on her back, a little confused. "For what?"

"I ignored you for such a long time, when I should have stood by you like a good friend. We'll never get that time back, Emma!"

"Don't worry about that." I tell her.

"No," She leans away from me. "I want you to come and visit us, and I want to spend every minute of every day with you to make it up to you."

I push her blonde hair away from her sticky forehead. "I'm looking forward to it." 

Sara squeezes the life out of me again, and we hold eachother for a few minutes. "Em, you are the greatest person I have ever known. I don't even think I deserve to be your friend."

I don't know what to say, so I squeeze her tighter. Ben interrupts our moment with Sam at his side.

"Don't cry, you big baby." Sam says to Sara.

Her face screws up in disgust. "Shut up! You were crying last night!"

We all look to Sam curiously. "I'm an emotional guy. I'm not a baby like you."

"Don't fight." I say weakly. "It's our last day together."

"Well, there's not much else to do." Sam glances dramatically around the room. "The house is empty."

"Speak for yourself," Ben slips his hand through mine with a wink. I slap his arm, embarrassed.

"Wait..." Sara seems to realize something. "Since we aren't coming back when the baby is born...we won't see you again until after graduation?"

I didn't want them to waste their time coming back when I wasn't going to see the baby myself. "I guess so."

Sara leaps into my arms again. "I can't wait that long."

I hold her tight again, realizing that I'll be losing my best friend tomorrow. "Me neither."
♠ ♠ ♠
so this is pretty short but there are only two or three chapters left!!

it's a girl :) thanks for reading this far, this story would be nothing without you :)