I Like The Way It Sounds

You'll need it, babe.

“Excuse me?” I was able to ask this with relative calmness after I’d stared dumbly at him for a few seconds.

“Well...,” he was stalling. He continued after he felt my eyes boring into him after a couple of minutes. “I’m kind of seeing someone else. You know Melanie from the soccer team? We’re both going to Duke next year and she wants me to take her to prom instead of you. I hope you understand, Cat.” He’d mumbled all of this and looked up at me awkwardly when he was finished. In response, I only plastered a crazed smile on my face as I thought about the situation before me.

I almost laughed. Sure, he wasn’t the best boyfriend, but we’d spent two pretty decent years together. I’d even given up my annual spring break trip home to Arizona to spend some extra time with him before we’d both have to leave for college. (I was planning on permanently moving back to Phoenix and going to ASU.) I ditched my family and most of best friends for this… this cheater? AND THE ASSHOLE HAS THE NERVE TO DUMP ME A WEEK BEFORE PROM. I wasn’t broken hearted like I’d expected to be at my first-ever breakup. I was, however, pissed.

I stood up from the booth that we were sharing and grabbed the still-full pitcher of ice water that was sitting on our table. I gestured for him to stand. Confused, he did and I handed him the pitcher. He raised an eyebrow, but my only answer was, “because you’ll need it, babe.” Then, I leaned in, as if to give him one last kiss good-bye. He pursed his lips, expecting just that. And I quickly shot my knee into his groin.

I left him hunched over in pain. Now, he and Melanie couldn’t have dumb, cheating, athletic babies. As I trudged back to my apartment building, still angry, I sent him a quick text to emphasis the fact that we were no longer together. Like I said, the boy didn’t think very much – I had to make sure it was clear. “Lose my number, asshole. By the way, my name’s Caitlin. –Cat-Cat (whoever the fuck that is.)”
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, I know. But I already have the next part written - I just need to type it! The Maine is coming soon!