I Like The Way It Sounds

Soon Enough

I pocketed my cell phone and continued my way home, ear buds dangling from down like a favorite pair of earrings. I’d decided to play some of The Maine’s stuff – I had both of their EP’s. Also, it would be the closest I’d get to them actually comforting me. I was mad at Tom, but knowing my “big brother” and Garrett, not to mention the rest of the band, I didn’t want them to beat the crap out of him if they knew. I’d caused him the physical pain he was due. I didn’t want to bother them, either. It was almost nine and they were probably still in the middle of their set. They were on tour, it was a Saturday night and I’d be seeing them on Friday afternoon. I could wait. And besides, it would really suck admitting that I got dumped to some of the best guys I know. They’re all so great to their girlfriends or are super-supportive friends and having grown up with them – I still chose the loser who cheats. It’s embarrassing!

I got back to my building and knocked on Char’s door before making my way to my own. She answered the door, took one look at my face, and scrunched her nose. “How was the date?” She asked with slight hesitation. “We ate pizza. He’s been seeing Melanie from the soccer team. They’re going to prom together. But, I knee-ed him in the balls.” With that, she looped her arm through mine, closed her door and took my keys out of my hand so that she could open mine. Once we were in my apartment, she sat me on my living room couch before making her way to the kitchen, snatching up the phone receiver on her way. I could hear her dialing as she shuffled through the pantry.

Coming back, I noticed that she was carrying a package of Oreos, some peanut butter, a jar of Nutella and two spoons – all while cradling the phone against her ear. Plopping down beside me, she dumped the food on the coffee table as the woman on the other end answered the phone. She talked for a couple of minutes before answering, “Hey Mrs. O! It’s Charlotte, Caite needs some Mommy-ing, I’m afraid.” She then explained to my Aunt enough of what happened with Tom so that she’d be able to help. When she was finished, she put the phone on speaker and let Aunt Jenny preach her wise words that always seemed to put me at ease.

She easily took on the role she’d been playing for me since I was five – Mommy. My own mother died right before I was to start kindergarten and my Dad and I moved to New York a few months later. But Aunt Jenny was always there for me. I’ve spent every summer since in the home she shared with my Dad’s brother, my Uncle John and my cousins – who will all be referred to as my brothers from here on out – John, Ross and Shane. We talk on the phone all the time and I email her almost everyday.

“So what did he do, again, Caite-kins?” She used my childhood nickname to make me smile, I knew. And it did. I felt instantly better knowing that Momma-Oh was on the case; she always made things better. John got that from her, he was the ultimate big brother-slash-therapist. But I couldn’t tell John this, and I wouldn’t tell Garrett – his relationship with Valerie was perfect.

“He cheated on me and decided that now was a good time to tell me. Prom is only a week away! And he chose to tell me now – an hour ago, actually. But still! A week! Now I’m going to be the pathetic dateless girl. I might as well just stay home with the guys that night, they’re going to be here anyway. It’s probably for the best.” I let all this out in one breathe, most of it was spoken thought as I worked out a solution in my brain.

Doing what she did best, Aunt Jenny made me feel better. She talked me into going to the dance; reminding me that some asshole who dared to cheat on me when I was 17 was not worth ruining the Senior Prom that would only come once in my life. She also mentioned that a certain brother of mine wouldn’t dare let me waste the opportunity, whether by his own thought or if she made him force her to go. She even said something about Garrett… but that part was confusing and she’d dropped the topic when I questioned her on it.

I hung up, grateful and thought how great it would be to not be separated by so many states in order to get great advice from my “Mom”. I'd be back in Arizona, back home, just a week after this dumb dance.
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come soon - I really appreciate all of my new subscribers and comments are more than welcome! :) I'm Meg, by the way - hi!