I Like The Way It Sounds

We Just Know

As nice as it would be to be back in Arizona full time, it was also dawning on me that this was one of the few “girls nights” that Char and I would have in New York. Luckily, she was going to be attending ASU with my in the fall, but our bonding sessions would be in a smelly dorm instead of in one of our cushy apartments. I decided that we needed to make the most of it, considering that we were going to have to spend the entire summer apart.

This, surprisingly, was something we’d never done – despite my being in Arizona from June-August every single year. Somehow, Char always came out to visit. When we were younger, she’d stayed in Phoenix for a few days after visiting the Grand Canyon with her parents, and in Middle/High school she came out to attend the 2-week field hockey clinic offered at ASU. She would have to dorm there while I stayed at my Aunt/Uncles’ house, but when John got his license he helped me break her out at night so that we could hang out and she could meet the Arizona gang. She and Pat had always been friendly and it was adorable that they were going to prom together now! It wasn’t like they were a couple, but Pat was a real sweetheart and Char deserved a guy like him.

We sat and talked about prom and how we’d obviously avoid Thomas/Melanie and how Char would be kind enough to share Pat with me for at least a few dances “so I wouldn’t look like such a loner” she’d joked. We brainstormed which sundresses to wear under our gowns at graduation and started planning (for the millionth time) how we were going to decorate our dorm. We had a plan. For all of the things we couldn’t control on our own as we’d grown up, Char and I always planned for our futures. – It all revolved around being roomies in college and having the perfect dorm. Then, we’d each find perfect boyfriends (who, of course, would be best friends too) and after graduation the four of us would share a duplex house in whatever city we chose – or really just Phoenix, at my suggestion. Eventually the guys would propose and we’d get married and have our own homes, but we’d always stay close.

Being friends with the boys in The Maine had proved to both Char and I that positive long distance relationships were possible. Granted, none of our relationships were romantic, but I was still just as close to Pat Kirch as I was when I met him in John’s backyard when we were 3 years old. Jared and Kenny were just as much my big brothers as John and I’d known them less than half my life. For having only known Garrett over the course of 13 summers, he knew more about me than Char who I spent everyday in New York with; better, sometimes. It was almost like he and I were connected, we just knew certain things about one another.