I Like The Way It Sounds

Exactly What I Needed

Before I’d fallen asleep last night, I’d texted Tim again to request that he give me a 20 minute warning on when they’d be here. Well, I’d received that warning 17 minutes ago and I was still getting ready. Wearing one earring and only pulling my jeans up halfway over my butt, I tried to make my hair look halfway decent. I snatched the mini straightener off of my dresser and attempted to tame the frizz that surrounded my face before brushing my entire mane and combing out my side-part, then I quickly braided a front portion and pinned it in place with a bobby pin before putting on my outfit properly. Then, I grabbed my favorite tube of mascara to apply in the hall mirror while I waited for Tim to ask to be buzzed up into the building.

Humming loudly, I took in my reflection as unscrewed the container of black eye gunk. I looked down to check that the applicator brush didn’t have excess make up on it before bringing my gaze back to the mirror. At that point, I stopped caring about my mascara and screamed (dropping said applicator brush on the floor and leaving a gooey, black mark on the ground) because all of the boys were already in the apartment!

Ignoring the mess I’d made, I grabbed the boy closest to me (Pat) and hugged him tightly. He laughed and hugged me back as I blindly reached for anyone else within hugging distance. Eventually we had a really awkward mass of limbs squished together; it was the closest we were going to get to a group hug. After formally greeting everyone and ignoring John’s pitying glance, I offered to make lunch while they got cleaned up. Garrett, however, saw the look that John had given me. While everyone else was in various stages of getting clean, he followed me into the kitchen where I planned on making the tacos that Tim had been promised. He took the ingredients out of my hands just as I’d taken them out of the fridge and gently placed them on the counter. Turning to face me, he spoke, “What really happened on Saturday, Caite? I just want to help you and you wouldn’t let me, I’m here now; you can’t just hang up the phone.” As much as I hated to admit it, he was right.

“Gare, this is so embarrassing! But, uh, Tom is taking is other girlfriend to prom.” I wanted to let that sit, but I couldn’t – I was getting mad remembering it. “He cheated on me. I didn’t go home over spring break because I felt guilty that I was moving and didn’t want to leave him – and he cheated on me and dumped me the week before prom! Am I really that terrible?” Angry and hurt tears that had been mixing in my eyes, spilled over as I looked at his reaction. His fists were clenched but his face was soft and caring and reflected my pain, as it registered. In an instant, I was wrapped in his familiar and comforting embrace and he just held me and rubbed my back for a minute, before turning me back around to gently wipe the tears from my eyes. "I'm so sorry, Caits. But, I'm here now and there's nothing to be embarrassed of." This was exactly why I couldn’t tell him; he was too perfect. I wanted to tell him that this was exactly why I was embarrassed, but it wasn't worth it, and I loved his hug too much at the moment to argue. That was exactly what I needed and he knew it.

As if nothing had happened, he handed me the container of ground beef that he’d only just removed from my hands and we proceeded to cook. He prepared some veggies and even made guacamole before excusing himself so that he too could shower and change like the other guys. Eventually, everyone made their way into the room, coming over to chat or offer to help and pretty soon lunch was ready!

I made my taco and sat and ate in my spot between John and Garrett. Eric was across from me and I could see Pat and Charlotte cuddled together in the corner. Everything was the way it was supposed to be, and for the first time in almost a week, I didn’t care about being dateless at prom – it didn’t matter!
♠ ♠ ♠
2 updates in one day? WHAAAAAT? I hope you enjoyed! Rate/comment please. xx