Captured

"Why are you being nice to me?" was all I could manage to say.

He looked at me, his eyebrows furrowing, "I don't understand."

"Just two days ago, we were arguing. And occasionally, you are a douche bag. And I guess I made it pretty clear that I hate you with every flesh in my body, but you're being nice to me."

Harry was silent for a long time, and I can't help but wonder if he's searching for the right words to say. He breathed heavily, and finally, "Because I'm a guilt-ridden dick head, Austin. Fuck, I am trying to be fine and dandy, and erase the impression I made on you. I want us to start over, and you question me for being nice."

What?

"But maybe I was wrong. Because you're just like them. You say things like 'Harry is a jerk' without even knowing me."

I swear I have no idea where this is coming from.

"I'm sorry that I was drunk that night when I harassed you in the elevator. I was drunk because there I thought things were going to work out between me and Ellie, but it didn't. Because she believes that I'm just going to play with her heart, that I am never going to be capable of love."

"Harry, you're drunk. You don't have to do this."

"I have to, Austin. I have to explain to you why I'm a big ass-hole. It's because you stereotype me as the bad boy. You're all judgmental. You're all the same. You, Ellie, and the rest of them."

"Harry-"

"I'm really sorry, Austin. I really am."

He slowly walked out of the kitchen, but before he entirely disappeared into the dark, he said, "I want to go back to New York."