Sequel: Hold My Heart
Status: Finished.

She Could Make Hell Feel Just Like Home

Chapter Forty

“Why do you keep checking your phone?” Aria asked as they pulled into the driveway. Mike glanced up at her quickly.
“No reason, looking to see if Frenchi texted me back at all, that’s all.” Mike responded quickly, putting his phone in his jacket pocket and opening the car door, turning to look at Aria as he stepped onto the driveway. “You coming?” He asked. Aria swung open her door and shut it, then moved to the truck, only to realize Mike had already gone inside. She rolled her eyes and walked to the door, opening it to reveal a dark house.
She felt her heart pick up and her chest tighten as she reached for the light switch, only to have a hand grab her wrist instead. Aria shrieked and yanked away, crashing into someone else before spinning out and running back out the door.
“Shit!” She heard someone yell from the house as she kept running, crossing the road before she sank into the snow, her heart pounding and mind racing.
“Aria!” Vic called from the driveway while he waited for a car to pass before he came over, crouching next to her. “What the hell was that about?” He asked, taking her hand into his and turning her face to meet his.
“There was someone in the house, it was dark and then someone grabbed my wrist and…” She trailed off, looking into Vic’s confused face.
“The house was dark, but no one grabbed you.” He said slowly. “Jaime and Tony came, that’s why Mike dragged you around all day, and we were going to surprise you, but no one grabbed you.” He stood up, easing her to her feet as well. “Are you sure?” Aria glanced over, seeing Jaime and Tony and Mike standing on the driveway, watching them.
“All three of them were in front of me, I promise no one grabbed you.” Vic told her, studying her eyes as they darted from side to side, her body shaking in fear.
“No, someone.” Aria trailed off, turning again to stare at the boys across of the street, who were obviously concerned as well, but keeping their distance.
“Maybe it was just Mia.” Aria finally said, forcing a smile on her face. Vic gave her a disbelieving look, but put an arm around her waist.
“We’ll check the house, ok?” He told her, leading her back across the street.
“You ok?” Mike asked, concern etched into his face. Aria nodded.
“Will you guys walk through the house and make sure there’s no one in there?” Vic asked. They all nodded.
“I’ll stay out here with Aria.” Jaime volunteered. “No sense in making her go back in there right now.” He opened his arms and Aria stepped away from Vic and into Jaime’s arms as he embraced her.
“We’ll be right back.” Tony said as they walked in. Jaime let her go and leaned against the back of the rental car Mike had driven over. Aria leaned next to him, crossing her arms and biting down on her lower lip.
“You ok?” Jaime asked after a minute. Aria nodded slightly, and then looked over at him.
“Just a little freaked out. Someone grabbed me; I swear to god someone grabbed me.” Aria told him, shuddering as she realized she could still feel where the hand had clasped her wrist. “Then I ran into someone when I pulled away.”
“Aria; that was me. We heard you shriek and we all moved. You crashed into me before taking off.” Aria shook her head, as if trying to shake away the moment. Vic came out a moment later.
“There’s no one there.” He told her. “We checked everywhere.” Aria closed her eyes and leaned against Vic as he came over and put his arms around her. “Come on.” He told her, and helped her off the car. Jaime held out his hand to Vic and gave a light, but somehow obnoxious cough. Vic looked over and laughed, then helped Jaime down with a grand gesture. They both turned to Aria at the same time and went on either side of her, like bodyguards.
“I’ll be fine guys.” She said, pulling free. She stuffed her hands into her pockets. “I have you all here. No one has the guts to break in with you guys here.” She smiled weakly.
“Hell yeah. No one will fuck with you while we’re around.” Jaime said as they walked into the house, where Mike was checking under the sofa for someone.
“Mike, who the hell do you know that could fit under there?” Vic asked.
“You told us to check everything.” He said, climbing back onto his feet. “And all I can say is that there is no one here but us and the cat.”
“You have a cat!” Jaime exclaimed, looking around for it, a huge smile on his face. “When did this happen?”
“Yesterday.” Aria said, falling onto the couch, suddenly feeling tired. “Do we have any pickles and egg rolls?” She asked.
“I’ll grab you some.” Vic said. Mike dropped down next to Aria.
“Do you want pizza? You guys have a mean pizza place down the road.”
“Yeah sure.” She muttered, looking around. Tony and Jaime were still watching her, concern on their faces as Mike cooed over Mia, who had climbed onto his lap and was now purring away. “I’m fine you two.” She told them, leaning back on the couch, suddenly aware that she was slowly falling asleep. She felt Vic’s arms scooping her against him, cradling him as he carried her to their room. She stirred, opening her eyes and looking up at him. He set her down on the bed and crouched on the floor next to her.
“You know I love you, right?” He whispered, stroking her cheek. Aria nodded against it, reaching out and grasping his hand. “You’re still shaking.” He said quietly. He stood up slowly, untangling their hands.
“Don’t leave me.” Aria croaked.
“I’ll be right back, ok?” Vic said from the doorway. He left then, leaving the door open. Aria watched, her eyes growing heavy again and she felt them shut.
What felt like seconds later, a weight settled next to her, pulling her towards it. She immediately smelled Vic and nestled closer.
“Why were you gone so long?” She mumbled.
“Aria, I was gone for a few minutes.” Vic said with a slight laugh. “You were sleeping when I got back. You feeling ok?”
“Yeah, Mike just took me to a lot of different places.” She sighed, curling against him and falling back asleep.

~~
The next morning, Aria woke before Vic. He was stretched out in the bed, arms askew, legs tangled in the blanket. Aria crawled out from underneath his arm and headed into the bathroom, realizing she was still dressed in the clothes she wore yesterday. She rubbed her head and shut the bathroom door, turning on the water and sitting underneath the warm spray. She closed her eyes and tilted her head into the spray.
She remained like that for a few more minutes, then stood up, washed and got back out, heading into their room again and pulling on a loose Pierce the Veil tank top and yoga pants before heading into the living room.
Tony was asleep on the couch and Jaime was on the chair, stretched out. She smiled, then walked into the kitchen, pouring a glass of water and then sitting in the chair, petting Mia when she jumped onto the table, purring loudly.
In the hallway, she heard a door open and shut, then scuffling footsteps before Mike staggered into the kitchen, rubbing his head and yawning. His hair stuck up in all directions, and he blinked sleepily at her.
“Morning.” He muttered. “Coffee?” Aria got up and pulled open the cabinet next to the fridge and handed him the coffee grounds. Mike grunted a thanks as Aria sat down again, yawning in the morning light that was now spilling in through the bay window.
Mike joined her a few minutes later, drinking his coffee without saying anything. Jaime and Tony came in next, pouring coffee from the stuff Mike had made.
“Hey, get your own.” He growled. Aria grinned and shook her head as the dynamic of the room changed.
“You made plenty.” Jaime responded, making a huge show of drinking his coffee. Tony sat down on the bay window seat and sipped his coffee quietly.
“I made enough for me to wake up, not for you to mooch off.” Mike answered, glowering at Jaime from above his mug.
“We can make more.” Tony sighed.
“Yeah, we have plenty.” Aria added on.
“Fair enough, hey Aria, could we borrow your car? We’re going shopping for you and Vic.” Jaime asked.
“Sure, as long as Vic says its ok.” Aria replied. “Apparently my car is making a weird noise and he wants to bring it in before I go anywhere in it.”
“As long as Vic says whats ok?” Vic asked as he walked in, pouring the last of the coffee into a mug and taking a chair next to Aria.
“Tony and Jaime want to take my car in. They’re going shopping for us.” Aria told him. Vic shrugged and took a drink.
“Yeah. Would you drop it off at a mechanic? There’s one across the road from the mall.”
“Sure.” Tony said. Mike stood up then.
“Well now that everyone has plans, I’m going to shower first.” He announced, then swung out of the kitchen, singing some odd song off key.
“He really doesn’t function well without coffee.” Vic explained at Aria’s puzzled expression.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. I've been working on another story, and other shit. Enjoy.