Status: ON HIATUS

Fly Over Me Evil Angel

I Have The Answer

I grabbed my cell phone and ushered Abigail towards my mother’s car. It was only summer, but my mom had promised we’d be able to use her car as if it were our own because we’d need it for school.

“So besides the whole being ditched part, how was the party?” Abigail asked curiously as she sat in the passenger seat. I started up the engine and peeled out towards the road that led to the other side of the island where Jennifer lived.

“Like I said, it wasn’t all that. Mind you the place looked nice, but there were too many people.” As I said the last part, a thought struck me. I glared at the road in thought.

“Oh.” Abigail replied and watched the passing forest.

“There were a lot of people.” I said again, Abigail turned to me, a confused look on her face.

“Yeah, so?”

I glanced at her, confusion clear on both our faces, “Not that many people live in this town.” I informed her.

Abigail let out a small laugh, “I’m sure you’re exaggerating.”

“No.” I shook my head, my eyes back on the road, “I’m pretty sure that many people don’t live here.”

Abigail shrugged, “Well you haven’t lived here for very long, and a lot of things could have changed, like a mass of people moving here.”

I snorted, “That’s doubtful.”

“Then maybe people heard of the party on the mainland.” Abigail said a smirk on her lips.

I shrugged, “Maybe.” I returned my attention to the road. We’d already passed the road leading to the town square and were headed to the other side of the island where the farmlands were. Jennifer lived in the only small neighborhood by the farmland.

“Oh! Who lives there?!” Abigail squealed in excitement, pointing ahead of us. My eyes widened. A large mansion resided on a large piece of land. I squinted my eyes at it.

“I’ve never seen that before.” I commented as we drove past it. After seeing that new addition to the neighborhood I started noticing a lot of new additions. Where the use to be trees and plains there were suburban neighborhoods and… “Is that a club? There are no clubs in Dark Harbor.”

Abigail chuckled at my surprise, “There obviously is.”

“No.” I shook my head, staring at the odd things around us, “I think we’re lost.”

Abigail’s smile faded, “Are you serious? How can you get lost, you lived here?”

“I know but…” I stared around, taking in all the unfamiliar sites, “none of this was here before.”

“Can’t you use the GPS?” Abigail asked, worriedly.

I shook my head as I turned off the road and on a dirt road I was sure led to Jennifer’s house. “Dark Harbor doesn’t show up on GPS, it’s too small.” I continued to drive up this road and when my eyes landed on a two familiar white houses. One of them had a blue car parked in front of it, my muscles relaxed at the familiarity, “Never mind, I know where we are.”

“And where are we exactly?” Abigail’s tone was still one of worry as she peered out the window at the white house.

“Still in Dark Harbor apparently,” I said, furrowing my eyebrows at the thought, “This is Jen’s house.”

We exited the vehicle and climbed up to Jen’s small porch. I gave the door a good three knocks and waited.

“Are you sure I shouldn’t wait in the car?” Abigail whispered to me. “I know this Jennifer doesn’t like me.”

I chuckled at her quietness and answered, “She’ll live; besides I need you here so she can see that a true friend doesn’t leave you.” I felt the same anger from last night bubble inside me and knocked on the door again. No answer.

“Guess she’s not home.” Abigail remarked hopefully.

I glared at the door, “I don’t think so. Follow me.” I led Abigail off the porch and around back.

“What are we doing?” She hissed at me, stumbling through the tall grass. Jennifer was obviously not taking care of her parent’s lawn.

“The Peacock’s always left there back door open. Considering the way the yard looks, I doubt Jennifer would take the time to lock it.” I informed, climbing up the steps to the much larger back porch.

“We can’t sneak in!” Abigail said, flabbergasted, looking around as if someone were watching us.

My hand was already on the doorknob and I turned over my shoulder to smirk at her, “Where’s your sense of adventure?”

Abigail glared at me, “In my books.” She retorted, I laughed and pushed the door open.

With a gasp of surprise I was met with a rush of cold air in my face. “Whoa.” I whispered at the odd feeling and looked at Abigail, she seemed just as stunned as me.

“It’s an icebox in here.” Abigail murmured, hugging herself with her arms and looking at the darkness around us.

I felt the wall for the light switch and when I found it and flicked it on, the lights ceased to work. “Great.” I muttered and dug into my pants for my cell phone.

Abigail’s hand grasped my shoulder, “Maybe we should get out of here.”

“Not until I give Jen a piece of my mind.” I quickly went to my flashlight app and the space in front of me was instantly filled with a dim light. I step forward, the floor boards creaked and Abigail let out a small squeak and grasped at my arm tighter.

“Don’t leave me.” She whimpered out, holding onto my arm.

I laughed again, “Chill out Abigail, we’re fine.” I felt her hold relax but she still clung to my side as we walked forward. I knew where Jennifer’s room was by heart, which is unless she changed rooms.

“I told you,” Abigail hissed at me, “I’m scared of the dark.”

I turned over my shoulder to grin at her, “Then why did you move to ‘Dark’ Harbor?”

Abigail’s face fell, “Oh very punny, Samara.”

I laughed and kept on until I found the hallway, I picked up my pace, which made Abigail squeal in surprise, but I found Jennifer’s room. I knocked on her bedroom door, “Jennifer! It’s Samara Blair! I came in through the back!” I called. There was no answer and I huffed in annoyance, “I know you’re here, you’re cars outside!” Again, no answer. Abigail squeezed my arm again but I shrugged her off. “Fine, you’re going to ignore me, whatever! But just for future reference, don’t invite me somewhere if you’re just going to ditch me!” Once again, silence answered back so I turned on my heel and retreated the way we came, turning off my phone.

“Ah, where’d the light go!” Abigail shrieked, holding onto me for dear life.

I led her frightened self out of the house and purposely slammed the back door behind me. “The nerve of her.” I growled as we made our way back to the front yard. Abigail had finally let go and she let out a long sigh of relief.

“Samara Blair, is that you?” called out a familiar voice. I beamed and turned around to look at the neighboring house where a small old lady with white hair was sitting on her porch.

“Mrs. Winters, yes I just moved back.” I called back, striding towards the fence that blocked the neighboring houses. I put my hands against the fence instinctively. “How’ve you been?”

Mrs. Winters happy smile changed, “Oh, I’ve had happier days.”

I tilted my head to the side, looking at her curiously. She was obviously disgruntled about something, was it because of my shouting? “Why’s that?” I asked carefully.

Mrs. Winters looked away from me and towards the road, “Dark Harbor isn’t the same as when you lived here.”

I shifted my body, nodding in agreement, “I noticed. What’s happened?”

Mrs. Winters squinted her eyes in remembrance, “He calls himself Dracen Tepes.” She said the name as if acid on her tongue, “I don’t know if you know child, but he’s bought out the entire harbor…well except –”

I nodded knowingly, “Except the manor and the castle.”

Mrs. Winters nodded, “I had no choice but to sell my land, but he promised I could do what I want with it, of course for a price.” She scowled. “That’s his mansion out there, did you see it?! He added in that nightclub and modernized the neighborhoods. He’s turning Dark Harbor into some tourist attraction.”

I nodded and couldn’t help feeling sympathetic for her. But then that sympathy changed to rage as I realized something. ‘He was probably being nice to me so he could get the manor.” I scowled myself.

A loud cough came from behind me and I had nearly forgotten where I was. Abigail was giving me the ‘hurry-up’ glare and I nodded curtly to her before turning back to the sweet neighbor. “It was nice to see you Mrs. Winters.”

She waved and I hurried back to the car.

“So what now?” Abigail said once she too seated herself in the car.

I glared at my keys in thought, “Now I’m going to give ‘Mr. Tepes’ a piece of my mind.” I muttered bitterly.

Abigail gasped, “Are you serious?”

I glanced up at her face and she looked truly appalled, “No.” I said quickly, grabbing my phone, “But I am going to see if my mom needs something from town, might as well on this useless trip.” As I clicked my phone on, a blinking red dot caught my eye. ‘Oh! I got a voicemail.’ I thought cheerfully and clicked it.

“Samara, how dare you! I was trying to be nice, but no…” My eyebrows furrowed at the voice.

“Jennifer?” I said aloud. Jennifer had left me a voicemail, when?! ‘Obviously last night.’ I thought again. Abigail had leaned across towards me, her eyebrows pulled together.

“Who is it?”

I shh-ed her, “It’s a voicemail.”

“So yeah, thanks for ditching me! Whatever! I thought you were better than that, but I guess the big city’s got to your head.” I giggled at this and rolled my eyes, but kept listening. “Anyway! I’m here partying with some ‘real’ party go-ers. Too bad you have to miss the fun. Laters!”

I laughed again and waited for the other line to go silent, but I could still hear the loud thump of music in the background.

“What?” I heard Jennifer’s giddy voice call out to someone. She laughed, “Okay!”

I sighed, “Great, Jennifer left me a long message and she didn’t even know it.” I was about to click the home button but Abigail pulled the phone out of my hand.

“I wanna hear!” she smiled deviously and pressed the speaker button. I shrugged and pulled away from the house and drove on the dirt road.

“Well I left my car at my place, so I guess I’ll just have to ride with you!” I heard Jennifer’s girly voice call out from my phone. I cringed but continued driving.

The voicemail went on with us only being able to hear Jennifer’s voice. When we stopped at a stop sign, I put the car into park and leaned over to Abigail, trying to grab at the phone. “Enough, her voice is killing me.”

“No, wait.” Abigail shrieked, trying to pull the phone away.

That’s when a loud, horribly high-pitched scream filled the car. I cringed at the noise, whipping my head around, searching for the source of the noise when Abigail practically threw the phone at me.

My cell phone was screaming!

“What the hell!” Abigail cried out, her hands clamped firmly over her ears. My fingers fumbled for the off button but I ended up clicking the volume button. It was better than nothing because the volume of the scream wasn’t as loud but we could still hear what seemed to be Jennifer’s frantic cries.

“Please!” She sobbed out, “Please, don’t!”

Without another word, the screaming ceased and was replaced by…gurgling noises.

I again fumbled for the end button and finally the phone went silent. I looked at it, eyes wide in surprise and fright. I looked up at Abigail and she too looked just as scared from the strange voicemail.

“What just happened?” she choked out, her hands no longer clamped to her ears but tightly together in nervousness.

I felt my breathing becoming faster and before I had a chance to say anything, a loud honk came from behind me, I jumped in surprise, Abigail shrieked and I drove the park away from the stop sign, my eyes warily watching my cell phone.

“Sam, what was that!?” Abigail asked, more frantically.

“I don’t know!” I snapped at her. She jumped in her sight and I tightened my hands on the wheel, “I don’t know.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things get a little more intense, I know, questions will be answered soon, unless you think you know what's going to happen, and if you think you do, let me know in the comments!

I was surprised I even got this chapter out, so much has been going on in my personal life with SATs and ACTs and more recently my stupid step-dad. -_- Do you have any hard things you're going through, or good things you're doing (it is summer after all) feel free to let me know in the comments!

Thanks for reading :D