Status: Updated: May 30, 2012 // 105 comments for the next one :)

Picture Perfect

Prologue

Parker,

Pack your bags - you're going on tour with a band as their photographer. I trust I've taught you well enough and you're prepared for a gig like this. The band you'll be touring with is One Direction. You leave tomorrow morning. I've booked a flight for you that will take you from New York to Virginia - where the first show of the tour will be. There, you'll meet with the band and their management to discuss the tactics of photographing them during the whole tour. The tour kicks off on the 24th of May, so you will have time to become familiar with the band for the two days prior to the first concert. All the tour dates can be viewed on their website. I assume you will be photographing their signings, the concerts, whatever promotional images they might require, etc. You'll also be filming tour video diaries along with anything else management might ask of you.

Along with your boarding pass, my secretary will also deliver an 'all access' pass that you should use in the case that you have trouble getting into the venues. If you have any further inquiries ahead of time, don't hesitate to contact me or the bands management (the numbers will be listed below).

This is a big deal for the company, Parker. Don't mess it up.

Good luck.

- Jon Simmons


• • •

No one would've expected that I would've ever amount to anything, but I managed to prove them all wrong. No one would expect an 18 year old to be scouted by a world-renowned photography agency straight out of high school, but I once again proved them wrong. Now, as I read over the last email in my inbox, I am fully aware that I am living proof that the saying "expect the unexpected" is in fact true. My first big break as a professional photographer was to tour with the international phenomenon’s in One Direction - to document their lives on the tour bus, document their stage presence, document whatever it is that they want documented.

Seeing as my flight was in approximately 10 hours, my main priority was to pack as much clothes as could fit into two suitcases. I found myself going on the One Direction website to look up their tour dates. Something that shouldn't have shocked me a much as it did was the fact that every single date on the tour were completely sold out. I'd be photographing numerous concerts - all of which were sold out. That's a first.

The tour consists of twenty or so concerts scattered over a period of three months. This is when I began strategically planning on how I could fit a whole wardrobe in my suitcases. I sorted through all the clothes in my closet and decided on taking half of the most appealing clothes I own - the rest I could just buy on days off. Sweaters, shirts, tank tops, shorts, sweats, jeans, undergarments, and blazers flew across my room as I struggled to fit it all in just two bags. In about two hours, after sitting on the bags in order to shut them, I was finally done and exhausted. That's when it finally dawned on me. I was finally going on a full tour - something I've been dreaming of since I was 13 and started regularly going to concerts. A tour whose main band was the UK sensation One Direction. I was definitely going to need high quality ear plugs to drown out the screaming.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave feedback and subscribe for faster updates!