Status: Editing Finished 2-4-13

Courageous

A Girl On Fire Part 12: Give Me Everything

Standing on the balcony of the lounge that the Rangers had rented for our New Year’s party, a shiver ran down my spine as I caught a glimpse of the lights from the Time's Square festivities. Sighing, I opened my clutch and pulled out my phone. A familiar ring back began to play after dialing the number I had grown all to use to calling. The sad thing was that many of the times that I called him, the chances of him answering or returning calls became smaller and smaller. Thus, wearing down my confidence that he hadn't done or been doing what Max Talbot claimed he had and whenever I did get the chance to talk to him; my doubts were always present in the back of my mind. I regretted trusting him to commit to me, a mistake I won't ever let happen again. Cursing when I received, yet another voicemail box, I left him yet another message,

"Hey, James, it's Kayla... I was just checkin' to see if you were still gonna be able to make it up for tonight's party. I'd really like to celebrate the New Year with you. Just give me a call or text back..." 'Or something.' I added in, silently

Shaking my head, I ran my free hand through my hair, as the other clutched my phone as if it was the last thing that connected me to James. I was fearful of potential outcome, whatever it maybe, but I wouldn't let it affect me in a way that would cripple my all-star worthy game. He didn't deserve that much disparity when we had only been together for a month and hadn't really been together at all. Maybe it was God's way of telling me that it wasn't meant to be, so that it didn’t burn me in the future. Maybe there was some one better for me....

A single vibration emitted by my phone alerted me that I had received a text message. As I opened it, I was unaware that someone had come out of the lounge to join me on the balcony.

'Hey, babe, sorry can make it up... Coach needs all of us available for practice 'cause of Sid being down again. I'll make it up to you when we play you guys again. I promise!'

Another excuse. Shaking my head, I chose not to call him out on his transgressions tonight. It was never a good idea to start the New Year in an argument. With a brief reply, I shut down my phone and turned around to head back to the party when I collided with someone. Glancing up at the man, whom had become many things to me over the past four months, I chose to burrow into his arms knowing that he would comfort me. The promise of his arms encircling me was too much to pass up by this point and in a strange way; it fought off the numbness that had begun to set in.

"He isn't coming." Hank concluded through observation as he ran a hand through my hair in a soothing manner. I nodded, unable to bring myself to speak in fear of what it would sound like. I just nuzzled closer into the embrace he provided,

"Hank, I'm over all lies and being ignored. I'm done being strung along when I have given him all the time in the world to commit. He promised me, he'd come. He told me he'd gotten permission to, now he says Bylsma wants them to have practice tomorrow. I'm thinking that what Max said makes more sense now than ever."

"Are you going to confront him about it?"

Nodding, I couldn't help but sigh. It's not that I didn't want to, I did, but it was just for some reason I felt like he didn't deserve for me to pay him such a respect. When had he tried to be with me? To talk with me? Just talking meant the world to me and he had either ignored my calls or texts me back with short answers. Unlike him, I had tried. I had worked at it. In fact, the only part of me that hadn't been in love with James was my heart. That part of me belonged to the man, who had just wrapped me up in his arms.

"I'm going to talk to him before we play them on the 6th. He needs to know... A lot."

"Mickie, Hank? What are you doing out here? The party's inside!" MDZ called out to the balcony, his voice carrying above the loud music of the club we were currently occupying.

Glancing at Hank, he nodded and I allowed him to lead me back inside to join the rest of the team. I forced on a happy face as Brian Boyle lifted me over his shoulder to take me out onto the dance floor to dance with him, Dubi, MDZ. These were the guys that I should've been falling in and out of love with. They were the ones who kept the drinks flowing and started up the grind chain.

"It's the PARTY TRAIN!!!!" Michael and I shouted in unison.

Somehow, I had ended up between Michael and Brian as we ground against each other in purely platonic fashion. At some point, I had even gotten back up against Brandon Prust, who surprisingly made on object as we swayed our hips side to side.

"The lil' mama's hot tonight!" He joked aloud, as we continued to dance with each other even though he had a girlfriend and I had Hank. I just laughed with my head thrown back as Amanda came up from behind me to counter point Prusty's rhythmic movements. Stealing a look at her from over my shoulder, I knew what we were both thinking,

"DRINK TIL HE'S CUTE!!"

"Hey, that's not awesome!" Brandon pouted as Michael joined our little group again as he latched himself onto Amanda. He winked at me and I nodded, backing her up to him until his arm wound itself around her waist. Earning a squeal, he pulled her away from Brandon and I. Looking into the forward's absolutely stunning blue eyes; I noticed there was something different about the way he looked at me.

"Word around the locker room is that you're gonna break up with The Real Deal?" He inquired as he spun me around and then pulled me back into him, "There's also a rumor that you're leaving him for Hank."

I was fortunate that the dark club and flashing lights hid the blush that flowered upon my cheeks as he revealed to me what he had been hearing. I knew whom he was getting his information from. It was Brad, who was telling him and this was Brandon's roundabout way of telling me he knew.

"And how does this pertain to you, Mr. Prust?" I questioned, moving my knee in between his legs as Beyoncé’s 'Freakum Dress' began to vibrate through the club's speakers. I felt Brandon's hands tighten on my hips and I began to dance to the beat of the music.

"I don't know... I was just gonna say that Hank's a lucky man to have a girl like you after Therese." He admitted into my ear, "Not many men get such an amazing opportunity."

Wow, this must be the alcohol talking because the Crusty Prusty that I know and love would never say such things to me. As he leaned in closer to me, he breathed, "Did I mention that I love that dress on you?"

I could only shake my head and laugh at him as I looked back at him, our eyes locked. Little did he know my man was gonna take it off tonight. Oh yeah, speak of the devil, I smirked and looked out in search of the crowd to see him with Brad and a curly blonde haired woman, who looked vaguely familiar... Oh no, that was Therese. Wait; wasn't she supposed to be back in Sweden? Why was she here? What was going on?

"Uh oh, looks like Brad's decided to be a douche tonight." Brandon chuckled as he rested his chin the crown of my head. Had he known about this all along? Turning around, I glared at him,

"Did you know about this?" I snarled at him as I pushed him away from me. Brandon grabbed me by the wrists in an attempt to prevent me from punching him,

"God, no, he had only been talkin' shit about how you had been pussy footin' with Hank. Brad liked Therese and he doesn't want to see them separate!"

Growling, I pushed myself away from him and stomped over their ranks. The dumbass had been warned about getting involved and now here he was bringing her back to the states just because it had messed up his little paradise. Brad was the first one to see me and judging by his reaction, he immediately regretted what he had done. He had awoken my bitchy side and it was about to get ugly.

"WHAT THE HELL?" I hissed, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt and dragging him away from the Swedes, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm trying to save the marriage you ruined." He hissed. I scoffed and shook my head at him,

"Are you sure this isn't about you and what you want?"

"Oh, this isn't because you're clearly the issue here." Brad snapped, poking me in the shoulder, "You're the one who's fucked up the entire chemistry of the NHL. You're a temptation for all of us and you SHOULDN'T BE HERE!"

The room had fallen silent during our altercation and a collective gasp seemed to follow after Brad's rant. All eyes were locked on me; they were waiting to see how I would react to this blow. They were all thinking what I was going to do. In all honesty, I think Brad was the most surprised by his own words.

"Is that what you really think about me? Is it? I thought you were my friend. I know I knew you better than this." I whispered, lowly for just Brad to hear before walking away.

The crowd parted in my wake like the red sea did for Moses as I began to walk out of the club. There was no need for me to be here if not a single one of my teammates was going to defend me. Stepping into an elevator, I finally allowed myself to break down. Sliding down the slick chrome walls, I let myself fall part. I wrapping my arms around my legs, I let myself cry. Yeah, I know hockey players aren't supposed to cry, but this one does. And quite frankly, it happens a lot. Right now, I wondered if this was how Rudolph felt when he was all-alone? If this was a sign that I didn't belong with the Rangers? Or with Hank? I mean, he had told my mother on Christmas that we weren't together. Was that his way of saying that I was just a distraction?

The bell tinged when it reached the ground floor and I rose to collect myself, not expecting any passerby to care enough to ask what's wrong on a night like tonight. Everybody was busy. Everybody had somewhere to go, somewhere to be, someone to be with, but no, not me. I was destined to be a loner, a rebel without a song in a world that wasn't ready to accept me. Maybe after this season I would try out for the Canadian Women's National team and play with women who understood me. Where the bias of men didn't matter, even if I wouldn’t be able to play to my fullest potential it would be better without them.

Too tired to walk any further, I found a comforting bench to curl up on. Checking my phone, I saw that there were only two minutes left until the dawn of the New Year. Sighing, I accepted that I would be spending it alone. I'm sure Amanda would come find me after she had her fill of Del Zotto, but for now I would be alone. I was too busy wallowing in self-destructive thoughts to hear the sound of feet approach me or even notice that someone had crotched down in front of me until I heard his voice speak my name,

"Mickayla."

Jolting, I sat up and blinked at the man before me. I hadn't expected for him to come after me, but he had and he was here. While my brain was still trying to catch up, my heart took control of my mouth as I spat, "What are you doing here?"

"Why must you always run away? What are you afraid of?" The Swede inquired; softly bring his hand up to cup the back of my head so that I was forced to look at him. Drawing in a shaking breath, I sighed,

"I'm afraid of being hurt. I'm afraid of rejection. I'm afraid of you."

"You shouldn't be... I'd never hurt you." He pleaded. Scoffing, I shook my head at him unconvinced that there wouldn’t come at time that he’d not hurt. He just had... Even if he hadn't done anything and that was exactly what had hurt. He hadn’t made a move to stop Brad; he had just stood by and let me take on that attack. He had abandoned me.

"Mickayla, please," He begged, "You've got to understand that Brad was the one who started this... He doesn't-"

"Think I should be with you, obviously." I snorted, folding my arms over my chest, "He doesn't think I should play either."

"You had him backed into a corner on that one. He didn't have anything else to say." Hank informed. A party above us began to countdown to the New Year,

"5...4...3...2...1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!" They cheered, excitedly as they made toasts.

Before I could object, Hank molded his mouth to mine, putting every emotion that he felt for me into it. Unconsciously, I wrapped my arms around his neck as he stood up and lifted me off the bench. Continuing to kiss each other with everything we had, I grew weak at the knees from its power and my head was spinning like I was about to pass out. Maybe it was from the lack of breath? Maybe it was Hank? I hoped it was him; I wanted it to be him. Pulling away his gaze was soft as he looked down at me, his hands still framing my face.

"Mickayla, please, don't ever doubt me. I'm too in love with you now to let you go." He whispered, softly pressing a kiss to my forehead. His words brought a silver tear to my eye.

"Y-you love me?" I asked, dumbly in return. I was having trouble believing this. It was hard because he was the first man to ever whisper those scared words to me.

"I do. I just didn't know it until the other day when we went to the movies. Like I said before, you have captivated me from the very beginning. You are truly a talented and courageous woman to be where you are. Buffalo helped me realize a lot and I won't ever regret it. I wanted you then and I want you now."

His confession blew me out of the water. It was such a wonderful surprise and I felt that I wasn't worthy of this remarkable man. He had always been there for me and I had been blind not to see that before. More tears slipped out of my eyes as sealed my lips back to his, quickly before I told him,

"Hank, I love you, too. Even if I shouldn't. My mom told me not to let you go and I don't intend to ever do that."

Hank didn't say anything after that; he didn't need because the party above us that was still going strong began to play 'Give Me Everything' by Pitbull. Smirking, I looked back up at him and before hailing a cab. Looking back at him, I saw that Hank had shoved his hands in his pockets, looking all lonely standing alone as a cab slowed down to pick me up.

"Are you coming or not? I'm gonna need some help getting out of this dress." I pouted as I leaned against the open door.

I knew that he wasn't about to decline my invitation with both of us sober and hungry for each other. In 3 strides, the man had made his way over to me and pushed me into the cab with a predatory grin on his lips, barely giving me enough time to give the driver directions before he attacked my lips and ravaged my body with his hands. Startled by how aggressive Hank had become I pulled away to look him in the eyes to make sure that he wasn't just doing this because I asked him to.

"I love you." I told him, firmly, holding him away from me by the shoulders, "But I don't want to this to be over before I even get home. I want to be able to make love to you. I'm not just looking for sex."

"It's never going to be just sex again, Mickayla. Never." He promised before bringing his lips back down upon mine, hands wondering into places they shouldn't be in a taxi, but I was just as guilty as he was allowing me the opportunity to explore him before the real fun began.

Once we arrived back at my apartment building, it was a struggle to keep our hands off each other as we climbed the stairs up to my floor. As distracted as I had become, I hoped in the back of my mind that Amanda hadn't beaten me here with whomever she had decided to bring home. Rejoicing as we stumbled into my empty apartment only Fritzy whined at me as Hank decided to carry me back to my room. Clothes discarded and forgotten within minutes, there would be not foreplay on the agenda tonight, both of us were too ready to connect on the intimate level to have the patience to deal with such pleasurable teasing.

Pushing me back, so that my back was flat against the sheets, Hank aligned himself to enter me. Biting my lips, I remember that Amanda had given me a bag of condoms as the second part of my Christmas. Thankful for her foresight, I stopped him, reached into my nightstand and pulled out a foil wrapper. Grinning sheepishly, I handed it to him and then looked away; I couldn't bring myself to watch him do something like that. Not when I had felt him skin on skin. But as Amanda so eloquently put it,

"Gotta wrap it before you tap it. Don't want you get your ego prego."

My thoughts were broken as Hank climbed back on top of me, now still ready to go but with protection. Kissing me, slowly, he wrapped his arms around me as pulled me closer to him before he slid into me. I couldn't fight the moan that had bubbled up as my body enveloped his before he took me into a different realm of pleasure, one that only a couple in love could share. The rest of the night was spent intertwining, connecting, and exploring each other in ways I had never dared to try or even know about before. He bent me into shapes I didn't think possible and made me come again and again until our bodies were both spent before we drifted off into unconsciousness. Now content we fell asleep knowing that the other would still be there when the sun rose upon the first day of the New Year.

The next morning the smell bacon grease filled my nostrils as I became conscious to the new day. Rolling over, I saw that Hank was still lost to the world of the living as he snored beside me. Puzzled, I slipped out of bed and found my undergarments from last night along with a pair athletic pants and my Boston College sweatshirt. Creeping out of my bedroom, I snuck over to the kitchen to find my best friend dressed in a man's button up shirt and her batman shorts, frantically making breakfast. Striding over I bumped my hip into hers before I picked up an egg and broke it into the skillet,

"Good night, eh?"

Taking this as a pleasant surprise, it meant that whomever she had spent the night with had earned a breakfast. It was rare if not unheard of for Amanda to want to keep a guy around after a night of her version of hot and wild sex. Blushing, she nodded her head she refused to look up at me or even say anything on the topic at hand. Shaking my head, I giggled. Man, whoever it was must've knocked her socks off because I've never seen her in such a loved up stupor before. She had this dreamy look on her face that told me that she was gonna go back for more.

"Who was it?" I inquired, unable to stand not knowing who had become her latest conquest. I knew that it had to be yet another one of my teammates, but whom? It was either Boyle or MDZ; those were the only two she'd danced with.

"It was Michael." She admitted with a dreamy sigh and clutched her heart. Oh my god, it had to be my line mate! It just had to have been! And look at her, she's crushing' on him like a schoolgirl! Another first! What is this world coming to?

"So you brought him home?" She nodded, blushing even more, "And you haven't kicked him out, yet?" She nodded, again. "Well, this is going to be awkward."

Narrowing her eyes at me as she popped two slices of bread in the toaster before she grabbed a piece of bacon, "Why? It's not like I haven't brought home your teammates before."

Waving her off, I almost laughed as I, too, grabbed a piece of the enticing, fatty, delicious strips of heavenly goodness, "No, no, I brought Hank home last night."

With a squeal, Amanda grabbed me, "Shut up! Shut up! You guys?" I nodded. "So, no more James?" I nodded again. With a squeak, she threw her arms around me,

"ohmygodyousolovehim!"

"I do." I laughed unable to but feel happy for myself because my best friend was happy for me, "Wait, you didn’t know that I was here when you came home?"

Amanda shrugged, "I didn't hear anything when we came in. Of course, we got here around four o'clock or so. When did you get in?"

"Just after one... It was kinda the only thing on our minds after the ball dropped." I shrugged, blushing as I relished how Hank had held me last night. The rustling of sheet could be heard coming from one of our rooms, blushing we share a look, wondering how awkward it was going to be.

"Want me to go get Michael up?" I asked Amanda with a smirk, watching as her entire face turned red as I grabbed a bottle of water out of the refrigerator.

"Only if you want to..." She shrugged, trailing off as I dashed down the short hallway to her room.

Oh, did I want to.

Tiptoeing into her room, I gathered that it was just as much of a mess if not more than mine was. Snickering, my attention turned to Amanda's bed to see Michael buck naked expect for his socks, twisted up in her paper thin sheet. The poor kid was still lights out; KO'd for last night excursion without the water in my hand I'd never be able to wake him up. Unscrewing the cap, I tipped the bottle son that a little water fell onto the top of his curly, "Hey, Mikey, wakey wakey eggs and bakey!" I called, dripping some more water onto his cheek. Groaning, he reached out and tried to swamp at me before rolling over, almost unknowingly exposing his package to me. Chuckling, I let more water pour out of the bottle and down his back,

"Rise and shine, little boy. Big momma's made you breakfast."

Jolting up Michael stared up at me with wide eyes, "WHAT THE HELL? Mickey? Oh shit." Blushing, he grabbed at pillow to protect what was left of his modest as he collapsed back onto the bed and ran a hand over his face, "God, Mickie, you're so awkward."

"Glad, you think so." I quipped back as I made my way out of Amanda's room, pausing I turned back around on my heel, "I'm not kidding about Amanda making you breakfast. So at put some pants on."

"Wait!" Michael called, causing me to duck my head back inside her room again. Letting out a frustrated sigh, as I obliged to him, "Did Hank find you?"

I said nothing to the effect as I turned back to head to my room, stopping by the kitchen, "Lover boy's up." I announced and then crept down the hall to my room.

"You look good with beard rash!" She retorted back at me as she worked on scrambling more eggs.

Butterflies erupted in my stomach as anxiety built up inside as I pushed the door open as quietly as I could. Thanking God that my door hinge didn't squeak like it normally did. In the still dark room, I stalked over and opened my curtains a little, deciding that I would more polite in awaking my... What were we now? Perhaps a thought to mull over later. But now, I was focused on the man sprawled out on my bed. Climbing onto the bed, I crawled across the queen size mattress until I was straddling Hank's hips. Bending down closer to his level, I positioned my arms until they were on either side of his head as I examined him. Was it fair that even in the morning after he still looked as good if not better than the night before? I almost didn't dare to wake him, but I couldn't resist running my hands through Hank's silky hair, tousling it even more as I did so. I was taken back as his eyes opened at my action and his hands came up to grasp my hips.

"Guten morgen." I purred as his hands began to roam and caress my body. Smiling, I bent down and offered him my lips, which he took without a second thought. The kiss grew deeper and deeper, but I pulled away trying to avoid round two since our teammate was just down the hall. Scratching the back of my head, I nodded in the direction of the door,

"Umm, Amanda's making breakfast... I'm gonna go help her, okay? You can do whatever you want, but if you come out please put some clothes on."

"But what if what I want to be doing is in the kitchen?" He inquired, holding me tighter to him in a suggestive manner, "It's not every day I get to wake up to such a sight."

Rolling my eyes at him, I knew what he was trying to do but I wasn't going to cave in. Nope, no way, I needed sustenance after only snacking the night before. And I needed it now. Mustering up some courage and will power, I placed my hands on top of his and began to pry his hands off of my hips finger by finger until I was free to hop off the bed. I laughed when I saw the crestfallen expression on his face, but I wasn't about to fool for that trick.

"I suggest that if you want that then you're going to have to put on some clothes." I informed him and sashayed out of my room to go help Amanda. Leaving Hank to his own devices.

Rounding the corner, I was frozen by the sight before me, not that I hadn't seen worse but this was pretty close. In my kitchen stood Michael and Amanda engaging in an intense make out session, the fact that he only had his boxer brief covering his bulging erection was way more than I needed to see. With a frustrated groan, I stomped back to my room to find that Hank was at least more dressed than Michael.

"Don't go into the kitchen." I warned him, grabbing a pillow and one of my blankets before trudging out to the living room. Flopping on the couch, I waited for Hank to join me knowing that he would at some point. As predicted, he came strolling into the room, fully dressed, and not even sparing a glance in the kitchen's direction. His eyes were solely on me as he closed the distance between us. Before he could say anything, a squeak came from behind us. Looking behind us, we saw Michael carrying Amanda over his shoulder back to her room.

"Was that Del Zotto?" Hank questioned, his eyes glued to the hallway. I let out a laugh and fell back onto the couch,

"Yes, yes, that was."

"So they?" He inquired.

"Pretty much." I confirmed, staring back up at him, "He should consider himself lucky, she kicked Marc out as soon as she woke up. She made him breakfast and is going back for another round. That's never happened before EVER."

"Are we going to get something to eat then?" He asked, bending over the back of the couch to look me in the eye.

"I'm not eating what she made now. Who knows what they've done with it." I told him, wrinkling my nose in disgust. Hank thought about my words for a moment or so before he suggested,

"Wanna go out for breakfast?"

"Hmmm... I would but I look like a scrub." I sighed, gesturing to my outfit, but I couldn't argue with the look he gave as I sat up, "Fine, but nowhere fancy."

Smiling, Hank went over to get our coats, and then he took my hand and led me out into the real world to find a place to eat. Sighing, I felt more complete and content than I had for a while. Glancing up at the man beside me as he arm snuck it's way around my shoulders, I couldn't but smile a little wider because I knew that we were now on the same page, no longer jumping back or leaping forward to catch up with each other. We were finally in sync and ready to move forward with each other.

After breakfast, Hank and I parted ways so that we could gather our things to go to the Winter Classic. When I arrived home, MDZ was gone and Amanda was asleep. Not wanting to disturb her, I left her a note on her forehead and fed Fritzy before I left. Luckily, my next-door neighbor would be feeding him while Amanda and I were both away. Throwing my enormous duffle bag over my shoulder, I trekked down stairs to Hank's awaiting car. Leaning across the center console, I met Hank's awaiting lips with a, "Good morning"

"I'm going to have a talk with Brad during our flight to Philly." Hank informed me on a serious note. Part of me was surprised that he felt the need to, I mean it wasn't his battle to see to a conclusion. Sighing, a frown began to crease my face as I felt the need to tell him not to bother,

"Hank-"

"Mickayla, no, just because I didn't step in last night doesn't mean I'm not going to see to it now. I love you and Brad needs to understand that." He cut me off, not turning his attention away from the road ahead as he told me how necessary he felt it was, "I imagine I won't be the only one who wants a piece of him... Especially, after the way he talked to you last night."

I couldn't help but snort a laugh, knowing that were definitely had been a few guys that had to be upset with what Brad said. Well, maybe not as much as Hank, but I hoped some of them would want to protect me as their teammate and friend. I was sure that Brian and Michael would be right there with Hank, maybe even Cali and Dubi would step in. At the moment, I wasn't sure who would defend me or if I really needed it. Shaking my head, I sighed and hoped that the best would come out of this.

"You are one of us, you know that right?" He glanced at me at a stop light and took my hand on his. I knew deep in my heart that his words were true, but when nobody had stepped up to defend me right away I had doubted I'd I belonged. Yet, here Hank was to save the day. I loved that about him, he had always been there ever since I had joined the team and had been the first to accept me. His dependability was definitely one of the big reasons I had begun to admire him. Yeah, sure, he was unfairly good looking, but his genially caring and supportive personality was what really had continually brought me back to him. At first, I had only hoped to find someone like him and now I had him. He'd be the ruin of me to all other men if this didn't work out. I hoped it would, but there was no way I'd be ready to settle down anytime soon. There was still too much I wanted to do, to explore, and discover.

These thoughts consumed me until we reached JFK. Punctually on time as always, we arrived right when we were supposed to. Part of me was surprised that last night hadn't interfered with today. We would have about 4 hours to get to the hotel and then head to Citizen Park Bank for our last practice before the Winter Classic. I knew most of the guys would be dawning the eye black this afternoon and I would be right in there with them. At Boston College, the guys and I used to paint all the time for football games and stuff. Let's just say if there wasn't a better way to prank someone than to draw a dick on someone’s face. Yeah, I know you're thinking that we're just wild, crazy catholic kids but it was really more about camaraderie and having a good time together.

Of course, arriving at the airport was always game for guys to pull a fast one on an non expectant friend such as myself. Like when somebody came up from behind me and threw me over their shoulder. Yeah, not a prank, but when you're not ready for that it can be pretty unnerving and trust me, it happened a lot when I was around my teammates. I guess, even if I'm 5'9" I was still a rag doll compared to them and they loved to show off. Letting out an exasperated sigh, I shook my head at Hank, who was obviously enjoying my predicament. He was one of the most frequent offenders and he had only gotten worse since we had become more involved with each other. Unfortunately, he wasn't my captor. No, that was Boyle and once again the Boston College connection came through. It was like we were automatically bros because of it. What a great way to get acclimated into a group than to have a fellow BC alumnus to take you under their wing.

"Brian?" I inquired as we drew closer to the plane.

"I'm not puttin' you down, Mickie." Brian informed me, as he climbed the stairs up into the plane.

"But-"

"No, buts." He refuted, ducking down in an attempt not to hit either his head or mine, "You're gonna sit with me!"

"Why?"

"Cause you're my lil buddy!" He insisted with a smile as he sat me down before taking the window seat. Patting the seat next to him he smiled with a wink, "C'mon, Mickie, I won't bite."

Biting my lip, I wasn't sure if I wanted to sit with him. I had begun to feel the full effects of the night before during the drive over and now all I really wanted to do was snuggle into Hank. Looking back for him, I saw that he was just now entering the cabin of the plane as he carried both of our bags in his hands. I smiled, apologetically, at him as he walked down the isle to me. I was unsure of what to do for some reason, I didn't know if Hank was really going to talk with Brad during the flight or if he was going to wait until we got to the hotel since they usually were roommates on road trips.

"Sit with him." He encouraged me with a smile as he handed me my bag before taking my other hand with his now free one and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Nodding, I did as I was told. Yes, I know that's shocking but I mean, how am I supposed to argue with a face like that? It's completely unfair. As I glanced at Boyle, all I wanted to smack that smug grin off his face, a sign that he had watched my interaction with Hank. I wasn't surprised that he was able to put two and two together; last night should've made the situation fairly clear for everyone on the team. I'd be interesting what the other guys thought of my new relationship with Hank and his with me. No sooner had I dared to think those thoughts Brian decided to speak up,

"So you and Hank, huh?"

I nodded, unable to hide the blush that had begun to blossom upon my cheeks as my thoughts drifted back to earlier this morning. It was uncanny how complete Hank had made me feel as we made love. No one before had even come close and it was like he was the missing piece to my puzzle. Sighing, dreamily, I chose to verbally confirmed it as well,

"Yepp, me and Hank... You know, I didn't mean to fall in love with him or ruin his marriage with Therese."

"I know." Brian assured me with a goofy smile, "I had you pinned as a girl who'd reach out and take what you want. No exceptions. I mean, you'd have to be to get here. And in all honesty, I think it drew Hank to you. I saw it coming. Sooner or later, he wasn't going to be able to take it anymore."

"Really?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow at him. It surprised me that Brian had seen it coming. I definitely hadn't given it a thought until after our hook up in Buffalo. Before then I thought I had maybe found something in James, but all it had done was lead me to Hank.

"Really, really." He confirmed, "I've glad that it happened sooner rather than later. Think if he'd had a family with Therese? Do you realize how much more complicated it'd have made things? The fact that you two got together now saves a lot of heartache for the future."

"Yeah, that would've been a hell hole." I agreed, glancing backwards to find that Hank was engaged in a serious conversation with Brad diagonally behind us. Brian opened his mouth to say something but I held a finger up to my lips to stall his words. So that I could hear the exchange going on.

"Brad, that doesn't matter. That doesn't change that I don't appreciate how you have gotten involved with my personal life." The Swede stated, firmly, "I don't need your help. I don't want it. Filing for divorce wasn't my decision, at first I wanted to fix things with Therese, but-"

"You let yourself conveniently fall in love with Mickayla because she was there." Brad hissed as he cut Hank off. He didn't sound at all remorseful about last night either as he said, "She's got you fucking wrapped around her finger, it makes me sick."

"How so? Last time I checked we haven't ever acted as a couple in public until last night and even then you prevented me from spending time with her at the party." Hank spat back, clear frustration evident in his voice, "And by the way, it's none of your business if I'm wrapped around her finger or not. And that's not the case at the moment. Not once has she ever asked me for something. This morning she refused to let me pay of her breakfast."

"So you went home with her?" Brad inquired, condescendingly.

"Of course," I could practically hear the smile in his voice as he confirmed our midnight rendezvous after the party, "I had to make sure she didn't do anything stupid after what you said to her."

"It's true though-" Brad was cut off by another eavesdropping set of ears as the Captain spoke up,

"The fuck it's not Brad! If anything she's contributed more to the team than you have so far this season. She's a hardass and a damn good teammate."

"But she's-"

"She's what? If I remember correctly and I do, I recall that you were totally fine- if not completely supportive of her before you found out about her and Hank." Cali rebutted, having caught Brad red handed.

"She was supposed to be dating Neal." Brad defended his reasoning, "Plus she ruined your marriage."

"Only because I let it." Hank quipped before deciding to dropped the bomb regarding Brad's former teammate, "If anything it's saved her from a lot of heartbreak because James was planning only using her during trips to New York for a deal he'd made with Jordan Staal and Tyler Kennedy."

"T-that's... That's not true. James wouldn't. He told me that- he was adamant that he was falling for her." Brad denied in a state of pure shock from what Hank had just divulged to him.

"She was just going to be a notch in his bedpost." Hank told him, "How is that falling in love with her? He, obviously, doesn't care about her feelings if he's going to use her as part of his bet."

"Do you care about Therese? She was your wife and you cheated on her!" Brad accused, deciding to turn the conversation back on Hank, "How does that make you any different from him?"

"It doesn't but at least, I'm not lying about it. I told her as soon as I stepped into our home after coming back from Buffalo. She gave me the ultimatum. She made me choose and I chose where I knew in my heart I wanted to be." Hank conceded, but not admitting defeat. Yeah, we had done wrong by many standards and a lot of people would frown upon how our relationship was formed, but it's not like we could've told our hearts to stop.

"How can you live with yourself?" Brad questioned in disgust.

"It's not like I have done anything worse than Kim Kardashian. At least, I didn't have a wedding to make money. I lost money and I am going to lose money. Mickayla didn't intend for anything to happen or even wanted me when that happened. You knew how drunk she was that night." Hank reasoned with him.

"And you went along with it?" Brad questioned and was about to start another argument when Torts decided he'd had enough and decided to stop it,

"That's enough, Richards! Like Hank said, 'It's none of your business.' Hank and Mickayla are both adults and can deal with the consequences of their decisions without your help. Mickayla, would you please trade seats with Brad so that we can have a peaceful flight?"

"I don't think there will be any peace with the new seating arrangement." Dubi joked causing the rest of the team to hoot and holler as Brad and I changed seats.

"I vote for a periodic hand check!" Sauer called out from above the laughter after I had taken my seat next to Hank. Blushing, I buried my face into Hank's shoulder to hide my embarrassment as he wrapped his arm behind my shoulders.

"Aw, c'mon Mickie, there's no way we're gonna cut ya any slack." MDZ chuckled from across the row.

Not knowing any way other way to respond, I raised my hand up in a California Howdy. Sure, it was rude, but the cameras weren't rolling right now and I couldn't care less. At least, I could hide behind Hank. He deserved to take some heat as well. He was their teammate too right?

"Guys, the idea is that we all shut up." The veteran, Rupper spoke up as he played some Halo/Modern Warfare game on his PSP towards the back of the plane. Smirking, I decided to speak up,

"Thank you! I wanna sleep!"

"Geez, Hank, did you have to wear her out last night?" Prusty teased from he seat next to Gabby. Sneaking a glance at Hank, I could see a faint tint of pink on his cheeks as he finally decided to speak up himself,

"I think she wore herself out."

A chorus of 'Ohs' erupted from our teammates as I gapped at him in shock because honestly, if anyone had worn himself out last night it should've been Hank. Normally, I would've thrown it back at him, but I really was exhausted from the lack sleep I had gotten and needed some shuteye. So instead of saying something I covered my headphones over my ears and cranked up the music so I could ignore them. I knew Hank didn't really deserve to be lowered to their level, but his shoulder did make a fantastic head rest for me as I drifted off. Unfortunately, the ride to Philly wasn't that long because before I knew it Hank was attempting to wake me up,

"Mickayla, we're in Philly. Time to wake up."

"Already?" I whined like a child and nuzzled into his shoulder a little more, not wanting to leave this position. A laugh from Hank was all I received before being pulled up out of my seat and then found myself being seated on my own two feet. Glaring at him, I grabbed my bag and trudged off the plane towards the bus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mickayla's Freakum Dress
Amanda's Freakum Dress
Mickayla: The Morning After
Amanda: The Morning After

Thank you to everyone who had read. commented, subscribed, and recommended your continuous support drives me to continue writing this story! I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this one and please don't hold back! I wanna know what you think!