Status: Editing Finished 2-4-13

Courageous

A Girl On Fire Part 4: Call Me Maybe Part Deux

After dropping off James at the hotel the Pens were staying at, I rushed home for my pre-game nap. My mind, however, wasn't on preparing for the game tonight. Thoughts of the boy I had spent lunch with consumed my mind. Pulling out my phone, I pulled up the picture I had taken of us in the car as I walked over to the frig to get a glass of water.

"Ooo, who's that? He's cute." Mandy giggled from over my shoulder as she snuck up on me. Glaring at her, I googled him quickly to show her. Her mouth made an 'o' shape as she looked at the screen.

"So, how'd you meet him?" She inquired her eyes begging more the details of my encounter with the Pens forward. I went on to tell her how I had walked up on Brad and James talking and how James and I went out to eat after that.

"Are you, two gonna hook up after the game? Cause you should totally tap that. ASAP." She informed me after I had finished my morning's misadventure.

Shaking my head and frowned at her, I put my water back; I walked past her to go back to my bedroom.

"You know I don't hook up... Eventually, but I want to have a meaningful relationship before I ever have sex with a guy." Pausing a moment, I decided to take a jab at her own personal life,

"Besides, I'm not the one who's been knockin' boots with a certain ginger since Halloween."

She made an objection, but I ignored her. I wasn't naïve about her trysts with Marc Staal. I had seen the way they had been eye fucking each other from across Hank's living room the entire night. At some point, they had both disappeared and had come back to here to do the deed. I had been prepared for sounds of moans of pleasure coming from her room, but what I hadn't been prepared for was accidentally stumbling in on them, intertwined on the couch. Scared for life, I called up Del Zotto and requested to spend the night at his place. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to sleep after seeing more of Marc than I had ever wanted to. Let's just say, I hadn't sat on the couch since that night and probably wouldn't.

Locking my door behind me, I stripped down to my bra and underwear before flopping onto my queen sized bed to take my nap. My dreams consumed with by the messy haired boy with a goofy smile from Ontario.

Upon heading back to the Garden, I made sure to avoid the visitor’s dressing room. There was no way in hell I was going to let a little crush disrupt my pre-game routine. I wanted to be on top of my game since Sidney Crosby would be playing tonight because tonight's division matchup would be a battle for home ice advantage in April. Wait... I'm not supposed to talk about playoffs. It's taboo. It might screw us over... Fuck, I need to shut up now.

Walking into the locker room some of the guys chirped at me. Dan Girardi mutter a playful insult under his breath as I passed by him.

"Fuck you, Danny."

As I sat down at my cubby, I began to dress in my gear, not noticing the looks that some of the guys were sending me. That was until Boyle decided to tease me...

"So I heard you went out with 'The Real Deal' for lunch."

Pretending not to have heard, I laced my skates up to hide my blush. I wasn't really in the mood to discuss my off ice activities with him or anyone else for that matter.

"Hey, Brad, you'd better watch your back. Mickie might try to kill you for ratting her out."

The locker burst into laughter until I silenced them with a cold, hard glare before I headed out to the ice for warm ups. Skating over to Hank, I resisted the temptation to look towards Penguins' ice because I knew that one smile from Neal would take my competitive edge off. Scooping up a random puck, I ripped off a shot at the Swede, which he blocked with a veteran ease.

"Fuck, Mickie, who's got your feathers ruffled." He almost whined after absorbing my slap shot.

Shaking my head at him and lied through my teeth, "No one. I'm just pumped for the game."

"Mickie-" He sounded not at all convinced. Firing off another shot, I silenced him and skated over to the boards. I didn't want to talk. I wanted to get this game over with, go home, and crawl into bed.

A hip check brought me out of my thoughts, laughing I sprinted after Gaborik with everything I had, quickly stealing his puck and backhanded it toward Hank. Unfortunately, my spin around turned right around to lock eyes with James. A sly smirk perched upon my lips; I skated to our blue line and called for a puck. Cheers erupted from some of the fans that had seen what I was going to do. It was about time for 'Hammer Time' as the fans had dubbed it. Gliding back to neutral ice, I made sure not to interfere with the Pens warm up. Glancing up at the game clock it waited until there was five seconds left on the clock. 3 strides later, a slap shot morphed the puck into vulcanized rubber with a thundering crack and then a ping echoed after as the final warm up buzzer sounded.

"Owh! That stuff's hot!" Del Zotto hooted, throwing an arm around my shoulder as we skated back toward the lockers.

For once I was glad to be starting off a game on the bench. I hadn't been prepared for how physical and fast this Penguins team was. They were hot right now but so were we.

"Hammer, Girardi you're up!"

Groaning, I hopped over the boards while Gaborik, Dubinsky, and Avery worked Marc-Andre Fluery. The puck was eventually sent back to our zone after a cover up by 'the Flower'. Avery and Kennedy had been jawing on the way over to the face-off circle and even if I don't like Avery, but who does? But I'm not gonna let some punk push him around. So I said something about it,

"Hey, Kennedy? Why don't you fucking leave my team mate alone?"

His gaze snapped in my direction, "Why? So I don't hurt your precious fuck buddy? Isn't that how you got into this league? How many people did you have to sleep with?"

Oh, boy, had he done it now. It was one thing to mess with one of my teammates, but calling me a whore made it way personal... So as soon as the puck was dropped, my gloves came off as Kennedy and I went toe to toe. He thought he was so tough but I had taken guys bigger and strong than him, as I quickly took him down. When the refs pulled me off of him, I automatically went to the sin bin. 5 minute major here I come! Whoop! Now all I need is a goal and an assist for a Gordie Howe hat trick and with the way things has been going as far as my scoring chances I was sure to ring one up tonight.

After watching the replay of my fight on the jumbotron, my attention was caught by James as he skated to the bench his shift now over. As his eyes caught mine, a pained expression grew on his face. Had he heard what Kennedy has said? Did he think it was true? Would he let his teammates change his opinion of me? Because it wasn't true. I'd never do something like that? Why was it so easy to assume that a girl would do that? When expired on my penalty, I dashed towards my bench, prepared for brief lecture from Tortorella, but it never came.

In my next two shifts, I found myself rubbing shoulders with Crosby and Malkin and honestly, it was kinda hard not be a little star struck in my first game against them. I also made sure all my hits were clean and not questionable because I had feeling that one wrong hit on Crosby would get me ejected and suspended for a few games. Now, I'm not calling him a crybaby but I am saying he gets the Michael Jordan treatment. Crosby always got the benefit of the doubt. It fucking pisses me off.

Groaning, I watched as Gaborik went into the sin bin to serve a penalty for Hank and then came a TV timeout. After the time out the Pens went on power play: Crosby, Sullivan, and Neal were out as was Paul Martin and Kris Letang. Boyle, Girardi, Dubinsky, and I were sent out for the kill... Only this time, Crosby set up a prefect pass for Neal to capitalize on for a power play goal. I skated back towards the bench, not wanting to watch him celebrate.

"Puts a fire in ya, doesn't it?" Del Zotto asked as I hopped up on the bench beside him. Shaking my head, I almost laughed,

"You have no idea..."

"Nope, not a clue but I can see the steam comin' out from your ears. Your pissed, eh?" He pointed out, playful splashing his water in my face.

"Fuck off!" I grumbled, pushing the moron away from me with an elbow to his gut.

I was forced to watch as Brad and Brooks Orpik for tangled up and only to be penalized for their actions. The period ended with yet another shot on goal by James.

The second period our offense came alive, burning to turn the game back in our favor. We skated faster and harder. We were taking the body instead chasing the puck. Of course, that didn't stop the back and forth battle ensued as two of top goal tenders in the NHL battled it out for supremacy in the Atlantic Division.

That was until a power play brought us our first talley of the night as Richards, Callahan, and I played tick-tack-tow and tip in to get the puck past Fleury's pads. The goal was credited to Callahan as we all cheered around our captain, who now was leading by example. Now tied up all we had to take the lead and that's exactly what we did. 6 minutes later a goal was score by John Mitchell and a minute after that Brad lit the lamp once more.

I was back out on the ice with 4:30 left on the play clock. I found myself trying to push Jordan Staal got of my goalie's crease. Another timeout was taken to review Marc's little brothers shot on goal, but we weren't called back to bench so I found myself drifting towards James.

"Nice goal." I admitted as our shoulders brushed. James smiled, warmly at me and set my heart a flutter with excitement,

"Nice set up on Callahan's goal."

I shrugged, "Eh, it was nothin'. I'm just a play maker." Blushing, I decided that maybe getting to know him wasn't such a bad idea,

"So if I get a Gordie How hat trick, will you call me? Maybe?"

James laughed out loud at this drawing our team mates unwanted glances in our direction,

"But how am I supposed to call you if I don't have your number?"

Glancing at him, I gave him a you-know-what-I'm-talking-about look as I skated toward my face-off position,

"You sent yourself the picture I had taken on my phone to yourself."

James blushed but didn't have time to say anything as Sid the Kid won the face-off against Brad. Shortly after James was called for tripping Rusy Fedotenko.

Yeah, another PP opportunity for us!!! And this was my chance to score. Well, after the puck was sent into the crowd. I decided to work down low as Brad shifted up high to work with Del Zotto both of whom set me up for a nice wrister. The goal horn sounded as I knelt down and 'Tebowed' for MSG and they went wild. After a moment, I went over to my team mates to celebrate my first NHL Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

"You just earned an All-Star ballad from about from about 18,200 people." Brad informed me as we skated to the bench, fist bumps all around as the announcer announced,

"IT'S HAMMER TIME!!!!!!" And the speakers began to play, 'Can't Touch This' by MC Hammer.

"Who came up with this again?" I inquired as I watched the replay of my fight, my assist, and my goal.

Del Zotto shrugged, "Front office?"

Laughing I hopped onto the bench not really up for a double shift at the moment. Of course, the Pens had to be a killjoy to my second period intermission as Evgeni Malkin was set up with a wrist shot on Hank by James and Sullivan.

The third period was pretty solid for us as a group even though we didn't score, but after scoring four goals in the second I think that was a rare treat for any Rangers fan. Unfortunately, we did let Pens come back and make it a one goal game. Thus the pressure to keep our one goal lead was on. Overcoming the Pens last big push to score the final seconds wound down, sealing our win for the evening. In the dressing, I only had three things on my mind: food, sleep, and occasionally, James. The reporters could get my interview tomorrow.... Well, actually, they caught me as I had slipped out of the locker room and made me do the interview out in the hall way. Towards the end lf my post game interview, I saw James sneak around the corner, I smiled at little wider but hoped no one noticed as they wrapped the interview up and released me.

I met James half way, but I was unsure of what to do or how to act around him now. What were we? Friends? Maybe less? Maybe More? I wasn't sure what I wanted yet. All the options played out in my mind as I walked over to him only to have them out to rest as he reached out and pulled me in for a hug. God, it was possibly the best hug I had ever received in my life. I felt all warm and safe in his arms, a feeling I had never felt before until now.

"Congratulations." He mumbled into my hair as he rested his head on top of mine. Giggling I pulled away to study his face,

"What?" He chuckled, licking his lips.

"Thank you." I blushed, still embarrassed for some reason.

James just shook his head and lean in a little so that our noses were brushing,

"So are you gonna take a chance?"

Ah, to hell with my insecurities, I decided as I nodded and closed the gap between our lips, my arms wrapping around his neck as his hand clutched the back of my head. His rough beard tickled against the smooth skin of my face as his lips moved against mine. But before it could go any further than a simple kiss, cat calls came from the general direction of the visitors locker room causing us to pull apart to see Matt Cooke and Pascal Dupuis standing not too far away from us.

"Come on, lover boy, before she casts you under her spell." Matt urged, sending a wink at me, which made me laugh as I stepped out of James' arms.

"I think it's too late for that. C'mon, we got a plane to catch." Pascal stated, in faux grimness, "You've got 60 seconds."

I watched both older men then walked back toward their designated locker room before yawning as if turned back James,

"Well, I better get going, too. There's a bottle of Jim Beam and a queen sized bed back at my apartment calling my name."

Chuckling he pulled me back in for chaste peck on the lips, "I hope your not driving home."

Snorting a laugh, I shook my head,

"Ha, nope, I car pooled here with MDZ, but Hank's takin' me home cause Mikey's gonna go party."

"Not a big club goer, eh?" James almost teased, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear after it fallen in from my braid.

"On the contrary, we partied it up quite a bit in Boston, but now I'm just too tired. Plus I need my beauty rest cause HBO's gonna come set up and start filming next week. Don't wanna look a ghoul with bags under my eyes." I explained him and pulled away, reluctantly.

"Call me tomorrow?"

"Definitely. FaceTime?" James suggested but I shot it down,

"Better not, my room mate might try to join the conversation. And that would be awkward..."

"Yeah, probably." He agreed and turned to walk away but I grabbed him by the bicep and turned him around for one last hug and pressed my lips to the corner of his mouth.

"See ya." I smiled as I pulled away, laughing at his dumbfounded expression as I walked away.

Meeting up with Hank, he gave me a disapproving look, but I shut him down before he could say anything,

"Save it. I got the whole don't fraternize with the enemy speech from Rupper. I don't need another lecture about how guys in this league don't know how to keep in their pants. I can-"

"Handle yourself. Well, I wasn't about to open that jar of worms but since you mention it... Actually, I was only going to lecture you on your recklessness tonight..."

"Oh ok, so I can sleep while you go on your soap box about safety?" I joked with him, still giddy from my meeting with James as we walked out to Hank's car.

Hank only laughed as I hopped in and I shrugged, innocently. He said nothing else as to me so I began to drift off as I watched the city that never sleeps pass by....
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks everyone for reading and complimenting, especailly dreamerforever! I hope everyone is enjoying it so far!

I have been working on some of Mickayla's outfits on my polyvore it would cool if you guys checked them out at http://ellemedit12.polyvore.com/

Oh and GO RANGERS!