My Dearest Friend

Prologue

“Honey I think this is for you.” the woman told her son. She handed him an envelope with a strange address.
“ But all it says is ‘ To a Friend’.” he said as he flipped the paper once over.
“ Just open it.” she instructed as she flipped through other mail. As told, he carefully peeled open the envelope and took out a piece of stationary.
“ Dear Friend,
Thank you for taking the time to open and read this. I’m writing this because I’m looking for someone, a friend. With every friend you make, you meet a stranger first. To put it plainly, I’m looking for a pen pal. Someone who may seem like a world away, and yet we still share the same sky. There are times when it feels like no one will listen, when all it really takes is someone with an open ear, and I want to do that for you, to be an escape. Now it’s up to you to decide. I’d love to hear back from you, but if you decide to move on, do me a favor and send this back to the return address. I know I’ll find someone out there.
Sincerely, Jessica Moore.”
As the boy finished reading the letter, he noticed his mom reading over his shoulder.
“ So, was it for you?”
“ You can say that. This person is looking for a pen pal.”
“ Oh, that’s sweet.”
“ I’m gonna write her back.” his mother gave him a hesitant look. “ I don’t have to tell her anything.” his mother snatched the letter from his hands and scanned her eyes over it.
“ You’re going to lie to her?”
“ It’s not lying.”
“ No, just completely forgetting to mention a big part of your life. That’s the exact opposite of what she’s asking for.”
“ There’s no reason we can’t talk about other things.” she thought about his words and nodded her head.
“ Maybe it’ll be good for you.” the boy instantly smiled. “ Just promise me, Harry, that you’ll be careful.” he gave his mom a kiss on her cheek and immediately sat down at the table with some stationary and a pen.