Status: Updates should be coming semi frequently now that I'm done with camp. By semi frequently, I mean probably once a week.

Capitol Pawns

Twelve

We rise before the sun today, thanks to a generous gift Booker receives from the sponsors. It’s a bow and a quiver of arrows that lands swiftly in his lap.

His face lights up with joy and I remember his newly acquired bow skills from training. He had never picked up a bow and arrow beforehand, but it was a skill that came naturally to him. The sponsors must have remembered or his mentor had to do some sweet talking for him to receive such a sought after weapon.

Booker and I are the only two awake at this point. I served my first successful watch last night and it feels good knowing I’m not being babied by my alliance. I flick Freya to wake her up, but she only squirms slightly before cuddling deeper into the sleeping bag. I pull myself off the ground and figure I’ll wake her up last with the help of the others. Booker’s already woken up Caraway and Caspar, who sit up awkwardly and have the look of sleep still on their faces.

Equinox is easy to wake up as well; all I do is nudge her in the side and her eyes pop open ready to attack. I back up slightly, but her face softens when she sees it’s only me.

It only takes a few minutes to pack up camp and move out. Our bellies are empty once again as we venture to the unknown side of the arena. We know nothing about where we’re headed besides the acid pond’s location and the cornucopia’s coordinates.

The railroad tracks lead up farther and farther into the wilderness and it brings me back to the first few days I spent in the arena. The last time I walked these tracks Freya and I were almost killed by the ruthless girl from District 8, but Booker saved us. I still don’t know why he did, but we’re alive right now because of him.

As we walk, I begin to admire Booker even more. I never realized just how much he has held this alliance together. First of all, he brought us together. I can never thank him enough for that.

Our strides are in sync and I didn’t realize I’ve been his shadow for the past few minutes. He looks down at me and smiles – another thing I’m thankful for, his level-headedness. He has this ability to always stay calm, no matter what situation, and have a positive attitude.

Booker has literally held me together in this game thus far. He has a calming presence, his know how of wilderness survival is imperative to our survival, and he’s quickly become like an older brother to me.

We make good time, because by the time the railroad ends, the sun is still up. Equinox sees the acid pond and books it for water, but Freya and I stop her before she can reach it.

“It’s acid,” I explain, noting the way bugs drop dead the moment they hit the water. “It’s what made my leg so bad.”

I’m desperate for water, too, I notice. My lips are dry again, but even the water in the pond isn’t tempting. I know it’s potential, but can’t help to wonder how many tributes the pond has fooled. The game makers know we’re desperate for water, so I wonder if this is one of their sick little games.

“We need to hunt,” Caspar says, breaking the silence that’s ensued since we stop Equinox. “We’re starving and thirsty. There’s gotta be something around here.”

Caraway nods in agreement.

“Let’s split up, then,” Booker says. “Caraway, Scout, Freya, and I will go back towards the cornucopia, and you two venture the other way. We meet back here at sundown. How does that sound?”

We agree and break into groups. Caspar and Equinox head right, while my group heads through the woods to the left. Booker’s hands work meticulously the entire walk, stringing snares together that he stops every so often to place. The rest of us are useless, so we keep our eyes peeled to the overgrowth.

It hasn’t been very long, but we hear a rustle in the leaves and the sound of a snare catching. Freya is the first to hear it and takes off in the direction of the sounds. Booker eyes me before taking off after her, but Freya is too fast.

I’m on Booker’s heels when I hear the scream. It’s Freya’s scream. We pick up the pace, sprinting through the foliage and into the clearing where Freya lays, bleeding badly. There’s a throwing knife buried deep inside her abdomen and a look in her eyes that begs for us to help.

The blonde girl from District 3, the one who was cruel enough to kill her own district partner, stands in the bushes behind Freya. She eyes us, a smirk on her face, but Booker wipes it off with one swift motion, a loaded arrow is in his bow that he’s managed to swing around his shoulder. Panic covers her face, but it’s too late, because the arrow goes soaring towards her and pierces her right in the heart.

I don’t care that I haven’t heard Victory’s cannon yet and I rush over to Freya’s side. Blood seeps from her mouth and her hands fumble over the knife in her stomach.

“I-is it bad?” She struggles, choking a bit on the blood.

Tears well in my eyes and I hold her bloody hand. She grips mine hard and I squeeze back to assure her I’m not leaving her side. There’s nothing I can do to spare her life, but Victory better be glad Booker got to her before I did.

I can only nod to her question. I can’t lie to her. This is it. This is really it. Freya is lying here on her death bed and I can’t do anything to help my friend.

Victory's cannon booms and Booker comes to sit beside me. Caraway stays back, unsure of how to react. Booker brushes a strand of hair out of Freya’s face and tucks it behind her ear.

I’m falling apart inside. I knew the day would have to come to say goodbye to her, but I didn’t expect it to be so soon. The games are starting to pick up and whether I like it or not, my friends are going to start being killed off.

Freya’s breathing becomes uneven and her chest rises and falls violently as she holds on to the last moments of life. Her hand is still tucked safely in mine, but I think it’s more for my safety than anything else. Booker leans forward and places a kiss on her forehead and I can see the tear streaks on his dirty face.

He wraps his arms tightly around me as her cannon sounds and the overwhelming emotion overtakes my entire being. I shake uncontrollably as violent sobs wrack through my body. I convulse in fits of tears and hiccups and ultimately, Booker has to carry me away.

I’m emotionally and physically drained from the day and can’t figure out how to coordinate my body to function, so when Booker allows me to try and walk on my own, I immediately collapse to the ground. Booker slings me over his shoulder like he did that first day he found me and Freya and carries me back to our meeting spot.

Caspar and Equinox are already there, empty handed with worry plastered to their faces. When they notice Freya’s absence and my emotional state, there’s a quiet understanding not to mention it.

I’m in no state to try and push on and night is quickly falling, so we set up camp. Somehow I manage to climb high into the trees and find comfort in Booker’s soothing words, but when Freya’s face shows in the night sky, I lose it all over again. Booker sits up with me for hours, calming me down until exhaustion takes over and I’m out cold.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, it had to happen sooner or later. It sucks to kill off characters that I've grown to love so much, but it is the Hunger Games, after all. As usual, thank you for reading and please comment! They make my day!