Green

1/1

I can’t stand the color green. Not now, not ever again.

She was wearing green when I first met her. Green dress, green hair pin, green name tag, and she had the most enchanting green eyes. Instead of asking what CD’s I wanted, as she should have, she pinched me. I had forgotten it was St. Patricks Day apparently. She laughed, explained, and offered me a cheap green tie with a leprechaun on it that the music store was selling for free. I remember her telling me that she liked going to The St. Patrick’s Day parade in Ireland when she lived there. Two days later we bumped into each other at the mall and a friendship started. It developed to a point that after her roommate bailed on her she asked to move in with me first. We were always there for each other. When the restaurant I worked at closed she didn’t force me to pay my full share of the rent and put classified ads that I might be interested in on the fridge. When her boyfriend broke up with her I gave her a shoulder to cry on without an impure thought in my head. I have an admittedly nerdy sense of formality and duty while she was eccentric and full of life so we balanced each other out. She made me go to a shady part of town to show me some neat piece of street art while I reminded her to return her books to the library.

One day we were going to the St. Patrick’s day parade. She ran ahead of me excitedly. Her red hair and vibrant green dress blew in the wind, as wild and free as she was. She ran across the crossway but unfortunately not fast. A speeding car had emerged from an ally from behind a bar and disregarded the red light, hitting her head on. I kept on praying to every God I could think of in the hospital but I guess they wanted her around too. Everyday I think of the vibrant green dress that I saw lying on the ground, slowly becoming more red. It was the same dress I saw her in on the same day three years ago.

I can’t stand green.

I can’t stand March 17th.