Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I Can Do Nothing for Her

A boy of 18 paced outside large golden doors that were decorated with intricate designs. Nervousness gripped at him though he tried hard to fend it off. Before long the magnificent doors opened and a voice granted him entrance.
Taking a deep breath he entered the large meeting hall. He quickly walked across the white marble floor and stopped in front of a large oak table that sat five people. The room was dead silent and the only thing he could hear was the soft breathing of the oldest member of the council.
The silence was shattered by the squeal of a chair. The head of the council stood and spoke, “Address yourself to the council.”
The boy looked at the man with no emotion; he had done this countless times before. The man had not changed since the last time the boy was here. The man was still the tallest member, still had pitch black hair, the same slate grey eyes, and was still the head of the Lexicon Council. In an emotionless voice the boy said, “I am Vātēs the Seer and I am here on account of Tristis the Sad.” And so the formalities began.
“Greetings Vātēs.” The leader said.
“Greetings Lord Mikyle.” Vātēs replied.
Then the other four members greeted Vātēs. The first was a woman on the Mikyle’s right. She had red hair with royal blue eyes, next was the man on her right. He had brown hair, moss green eyes, and was a few inches shorter than Mikyle. Then the woman on the left of Mikyle had dark brown and mud colored eyes. Finally the oldest member greeted Vātēs. The old man had grey hair, cloudy light blue eyes, and was a dwarf compared to everyone else.
When it was Vātēs’ turn he crossed his right arm across his chest, bowed, and said, “Greetings Lady Syren, Master Jasper, Lady Valorie, and Master Cain. It is an honor to be in the presence of the Lexicon Council.” The words came out like sour milk; they left a bad taste in his mouth. Save for one person, he disliked everyone.
“Report on Tristis’ progress. “Mikyle demanded in a booming voice.
“She has done ever assignment given to her. No matter the difficulty she has completed everything she was told to do.” Vātēs reported.
“Show the council your reports.”
With a sharp nod Vātēs drew forward quickly and handed a pile of papers to Mikyle before returning to his place. “These are the reports of the last three assignments.”
“And the one she is doing now?”
“It seems to be going as planned. I have yet to meet with her in person though. We will be meeting soon.”
“I see.” Silence once again caressed the room as all the members looked through the reports. “Everything seems to be in order. Very good.”
“Lord Mikyle, may I speak freely?”
“Proceed.”
“I believe Tristis should have a break. She has been working hard and done no wrong since that day. Her punishment should be lifted or at the very least relaxed a bit.”
Uproar broke out with shouts from the other council members. Disagreement rang through the hall as the members fought against the idea of freeing the poor girl. Vātēs’ heart sank as he realized how farfetched his idea seemed. He became sad for his partner and friend.
“SILENCE!” Mikyle shouted over the boisterous noise. All fell silent and the council members sat back down. “If anyone objects to this idea do it in a civilized manner.”
No one said anything or moved. After a moment though Syren raised her hand to speak and received a nod from Mikyle to proceed. “I along with the other council members object to this idea. Just because she is acting “good” does not mean she will not repeat herself. Vātēs,” she looked directly at him and asked, “In the reports you make no details of what she is doing on the planet. Why is that?” her glare felt as though it was burning holes through him.
“If I wrote everything down you would grow bored and it is not like much happens while she waits for the proper moment.”
“Is it really that or is it because you do not want to put down that she tries to interfere?” Syren smiled wickedly, guessing that she was right yet still glared at him.
*If looks could kill, I would be a bloody mess on the floor right now.* Vātēs thought silently as he remained silent.
“See! She may be doing her job, but once she’s set free she will do what she did before!” she now smirked at him before looking to Mikyle.
Vātēs quietly sighed and then also looked at Mikyle, who he swore wore a smile but it was gone before he could make sure. “The council seems to have come to an agreement that—“ Mikyle was cut off by a soft but firm voice.
“I object. I think we need to look at the facts.” Cain said.
“And those are?” Valorie snapped.
“Tristis may try to interfere, but she always gets her job done. The council should not be hovering over her every single second of every single day. You do not hover over the others. She has proven to be reliable… just look at the data. Even you can’t deny that, Mikyle.” Cain smiled.
Valorie and Syren glared at the old man, but said nothing. “The council will discuss the matter and will inform you ASAP. For now the sentence still stands. This meeting is dismissed. Goodbye, Vātēs. Until we meet again.” Mikyle got up as Vātēs bowed to the council and walked out of the meeting hall exhausted. He did not stop walking until he reached the second floor balcony. There he leaned against a pillar and gazed out over the land.
A presence appeared behind him, but Vātēs did not move. “I knew I would find you here.” Was spoken before a small cackle broke out.
“How? I have not privately spoken to you in years.” He replied as he turned to face Cain.
“Years may pass, but your habits haven’t changed. You still love this place just like when you were younger.”
Vātēs was silent a moment before he said, “This was where I first met Tristis and was told I was to watch over her. I thought that was silly and stupid at the time.”
“And now?”
“Now I feel like I am failing her. I am suppose to watch over her and look… now she’s being tormented.”
“That’s not your fault, Vātēs. She made that decision and knew there would be serious consequences.”
“I should not have let her do it! I should have forced her! I knew something horrible would happen.”
“Vātēs, do you really think she would have listened?”
“…No.”
“Right. You, who knows her better than anyone and whom she listens to couldn’t have stopped her. She followed her heart like she always does.”
“I know, but the punishment is too harsh. What she did was stupid, but what her sentence is… is just cruel!” as he gazed at the setting sun her wondered how his best friend was fairing.
♠ ♠ ♠
What did she do?