Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I Don't Fit in at this Table

I entered the dining hall late. Everyone was already sitting and talking by the time I waltzed in. As I headed to my seat, people stared and whispered to the person sitting next to them. I became self-conscious and hurried to my place; two chairs from the king. He smiled gently at me and signed for me to sit. I bowed my head and sat.
The king stood up and everyone fell silent. “Tonight we feast for tomorrow we sign the Peace Treaty with King Able who we have been at odds with for years. For Peace!”
“To Peace!” all cheered and toasted one another. I smiled at the thought of peace and scanned the table. All were banging their cups with one another, but my eyes caught an unsettling sight. Carson’s lips spread into a sarcastic smile, raised his glass to me, and then took a sip of his wine. The smile bothered me along with the mischief that shone in his grey eyes. Chills ran down my spine so I shifted my gaze to something else.
Just then trumpets sounded and our meal began. Conversations echoed around me, but I was isolated from them. No one wanted to speak or be near me for I was an outsider. I did not mind however because I was too deep in thought to even care. Something besides Carson’s look unsettled me and I was going to figure out what it was.
Without realizing it hours had passed and my thoughts were interrupted when someone called to me. “Tristis.” It was Carson and once he spoke everyone quieted. “The guests and I were wondering who you are.”
“Carson! That is no way to treat a guest.” The King scolded.
“I’m sorry father, but she is unlike any woman I have ever met. She just... intrigues me.” Carson said with a smile that could almost charm anyone. Almost being the key word here.
The king smiled apologetically to me and I just smiled back, “I’m from a far off place where women fight alongside men.”
“Tell us more of your home where women are warriors.”
“No, we are a secretive group of people who don’t like people to meddle with us. I am sorry.” *Not really, but you don’t need to know that…*
“Then at least tell us a native story. You must have something we have never heard before.” Carson smirked as all the other guests nodded and whispered in agreement.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short chapter to prepare you for a story