Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

A Tale of Despair

With a sigh I began, “Alright. I’ll tell you one story, a story I doubt any of you have ever hear. It’s a story everyone has been told in my home.” All grew quiet and listened intently. “There once lived a girl of about 8 years of age. She was carefree, gentle, and always did what she thought was right. She lived outside the structures of her homeland’s laws and because of this many did not like her.
“She did have one friend, but at first even he did not really like her. She was too wild for his liking.”
“Then how did they become friends?” a guest asked.
“In this place a warrior, which she was training to be, was assigned a person to guide them. This young boy was her guide; they were to forever work together. The details have been lost but we do know over time he grew to like her and they became best friends. He was the only one who cared for her and could change her mind or think realistically. Together they were an unstoppable team. They surpassed everyone in their grade and were very promising.
“They advanced at such an accelerated rate that by the time they were 12 the council wanted to test their skills. The other kids were jealous of the pair, but their cruel tricks did not make them falter. They passed the exams set before them with unbelievable scores. The pair was the youngest team to get 100 on their tests."
The men at the table grinned and nodded with approval while the women had mixed feelings. They were impressed by this feat, but women fighting bothered them. Not particularly caring what they thought I continued.
“The joy didn’t last. They were sent on a mission neither of them could have dreamed of doing. The mere thought of it made them step back and look at the council baffled.”
Once again I was interrupted, “What? Did they find out they had to assassinate someone?” everyone around the table laughed, except the king and me. *I can see why they laugh. Sending children of 12 to kill someone is quite absurd.* I waited for it to get quiet before I answered.
“Nay, they were told to be Finis. It was a secret group of individuals whose gifts exceed everyone else’s. Their job: erase the worlds that are dying and start anew. Even though many will die (plants, animals, and even people) they were to cleanse it.” A collective gasp echoed through the hall as what I said sank in.
“The pair hesitantly agreed to their mission and set off to the world they were assigned to.”
“What happened?” a voice called out.
“The girl refused to do it. As many times as she was told she had to and was warned that a horrible consequence would pursue of she didn’t cleanse the world… she followed her heart and left the world alone. Her choice came with a terrible price and Hell tormented her. She felt the pain of every living thing’s dying soul. It coursed through her as if she was the one dying and being pulled apart. It grew so intense that she could no longer take and she released her powers, the powers of a Finis, and the world was cleansed. Nothing existed except her and her partner.
“With her last remaining strength, she brought forth new life on the barren world and left. When she returned, the council was furious with her and decreed her punishment. She was exiled from the capital, had no breaks in between assignments, no one was allowed to speak to her, and if she disobeyed again her punishment was death… or something along those lines.”
“What happened to her?” a woman asked.
“I don’t know. It’s only a mere story to scare children into doing what they are told. There is no such thing as Finis or people with powers, right?” everyone laughed and agreed. Voices filled the once silent room and smiled appeared on the once surprised faces. I leaned back and watched as I was forgotten.* They don’t exist, right? It’s all just a fairy tale, but without a happy ending. Is she still the lonely girl from her childhood?*
♠ ♠ ♠
Story! Comment and Enjoy