Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I'm Singing in the Rain, Just Singing in the Rain

The rain was still going at full force as I waited for water to collect. *Well, this sucks. Why did I not think of this problem before I unleashed this monsoon? Hmmm, do I have clothes to change into? Do I even have a towel to dry off with? Man that’d suck if I got sick. Wait, can I even get sick? I shouldn’t have used so much power…*
I was thrown from my thoughts when a noise startled me. I turned and groaned, “I told you to stay in the cave.” The horse stood where he was staring at me; waiting. I sighed, “I’m coming, I’m coming.” I stood up, retrieved the bowl, and headed back into the cave. “Stupid horse, now you’re soaked.” After I said that the horse shook itself, sending water everywhere. “Hey! You’re a mischievous creature now aren’t you?” the horse neighed and once again waited.
I shook my head and placed the bowl in front of the horse. He started drinking greedily as I went through my bag once again. I found no towel, but pulled out a blanket. *This’ll have to do.* I looked over at the horse and asked, “You done?” the horsed raised its head, then went back to drinking. “I’ll take that as a no.” So I walked over and started drying him. “So you got a name? Can’t keep calling you Horse, that’s just silly… I’m going crazy. I’m so desperate for company I’m talking to a horse… I’m so lame.” I dropped my head to the horsed back and sighted.
I stayed there a moment before continuing drying. Once done I looked down at myself and shivered. *Well this sucks, now how am I going to get dry?* I shook my head and went to work on starting a fire and then stripped of my soggy clothing. I laid them near the fire, but not too close so they would not catch on fire. That would have been bad. Finally I sat in front of it and soaked in the warmth it offered.
As I gazed into the fire I suddenly shot my eyes to my companion. “Aries.” I called. “That’s the name I’ll call you. Is that okay with you, Aries?” the horse cocked his head then neighed. “And you don’t have to exile yourself to the corner. Come sit, lay, be merry.” Aries trotted over and curled up behind me. I propped myself against him and got comfortable. I hummed a quiet lullaby before falling asleep to Aries’ even breathing.
I woke up cold. Sometime during the night the fire had died and the cave had gotten cool. I rubbed my eyes and gently pushed myself from Aries’ sleeping body. I scooted over to my clothes and found them to be basically dry. I pulled on my pants and my shirt and then lazily my boots. After lacing my boots I fell back onto my sleeping horse. The rocking put me to sleep almost immediately.
I felt an unknown presence the next time I woke. I kept my breathing level and did not open my eyes. Silently I reached for my knife which was thankfully close by. *For once luck is on my side.* I waited for the person’s next move, which was to approach my “sleeping” body. *Getting too close for comfort buddy…*
It bent down, so close that I felt its breath on my face. *Okay way to close, sir… ma’am… thing.* I snapped my eyes open and my knife flew to its neck. The person tensed and stared at me with fear in its eyes. My eyes remained on the person’s until Aries neighed alerting me that we were not alone. I scanned the room and realized there were a lot more people than I thought. *How did I not realize there were more people? I really let my guard down this time, silly me.*
I lowered my knife so my hand was at my side. *Good thing I’m not naked anymore. Not that I really care or anything.* “What do you want? Who are you?” I asked with no fear in my voice.
“We should be asking you that. You’re on Armia Land.” The woman in front of me said.
“I knew not, I’m only in here for shelter.”
“Shelter?”
“It was raining, well more like down pouring, so I found shelter here.”
“How do we know you speak the truth?”
“Why else would I be here?”
“A spy perhaps from one of the kingdoms. We know they want to take our land.”
They inched their weapons closer to me, making me grip my knife defensively. “I’m not, I didn’t even know this land was Armian.”
“Then where are you heading?”
“I’m trying to stop a dumb war from happening. Many things depend on this peace.”
The woman looked at me a moment, deciding whether or not I was speaking truthfully. She waved off the weapons and lent me a hand. “I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, but do Not betray us for we do not take kindly to it. If you know what I mean.” I nodded as I grabbed her hand. “Come with us to our village. Another storm approaches.” The guards gathered my few belongings and headed out the mouth of the cave. The woman began to leave then stopped and looked back at me. “You coming?”
“Yes, just getting Aries.” She looked behind me and noticed, for the first time, my horse. She did a sharp nod then headed to her men. “Come Aries, we’re going to a village.” Aries neighed, got up and followed after me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I'm kinda slacking on this story, which you may not have known but trust me I am, but I've been busy and haven't gotten the urge to just sit down and write. However, I do have so many ideas they just aren't in the immediate future of this story. Please stick with me and if people keep commenting I'll do my best to update at least once a week or more ^_^